Science Forums

After Assad

Deepwater6

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-dee-dee-moore-cries-court-abraham-shakespeare/story?id=17833593

It seems everyday the rebels get closer and closer at taking down this regime. I heard on public radio yesterday that military defections are on the rise and with some high profile individuals at that. I get the feeling this will be similar to a earthen dam failing. Slowly, slowly, slowly and then when enough go it simply collapses, and I think that day is fast approaching.

The US Gov. has so far refused to give the rebels weapons, only logistics, at least thats what they are telling the public. The CIA may indeed be arming them, but who knows. Obviously the reasoning for this is whoever ends up on top after the regime falls is who we will have to deal with. If that group is not pro US then why should we arm them. The other side of that coin is who exactly is giving them weapons now and helping them in their time of need? Who will they be indebted to when the dust settles?

The US could offer monetary aid to the the new government after Assad falls like we do in so many other middle eastern countries. We could use that carrot to draw the new government away from siding with the anti-US factions that are supplying

weapons to the rebels now. If that works the US will not have gotten it's hands dirty at all and removed one of the problem regimes on it's list.

But where would that leave Russia in all this? Syria is a trading partner and they have close ties. Russia has blocked many attempts at UN sanctions even with horrific carnage shown on TV carried out by the regime. Will Russia just walk away from such a strategic area?

Alot of unknowns in this civil war. Many contries, making moves to position themselves for the fall of the regime. I just hope if the rebels do remove Assad we don't get something worse in it's place. Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Deepwater6