Science Forums

BLOG writers wanted

Tormod

Dear folks -

I am thinking of jumping on the blog bandwagon and put together a Hypography blog. The blog will be an important feature at Hypography - it will be the main feature on the front page, and it will be updated daily. The content will partly consist of comments about ongoing events, news and headlines, and partly links to new stuff at Hypography which will be published by the same bloggers.

All this means that I want this to be done in a semi-professional manner.

I need at least 5-10 volunteers who would like to help me get this idea going. I want to set up a discussion group for beta-bloggers, and start a trial blogging period so we can test the idea and see how well it goes. At the same time, a new design will be implemented and tried out for the entire website, so this will be an important step forward for Hypography.

If you would like to help Noah and myself make this happen, please send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and tell me what you think you can contribute with. If you have a website or a blog already, let me know. I will get in touch with each of you and set things up.

Taking part in this will make you visible to a lot of people. Hypography has a regular user base of thousands of people. We have about 200,000 visitors per month, and some 1,000,000 page impressions. So the blog must be good for us to succeed with it!

Please contact me about this ONLY if you think you will be able to contribute on a regular basis, which means AT LEAST 1-2 times a week, plus taking part in the online discussion in our forums. You must also be able to write legibly in ENGLISH and you should have a general interest in both popular science, science writing and the main topics at Hypography (astronomy, cosmology, earth science, space exploration, philosophy...well...anything, as long as it is _science_).

If you have thoughts, suggestions or anything else you want to say about this, feel free to post it by replying to this message.

Tormod

• 2 months later...

*bump*

I really need some help from some of you folks...please? Just e-mail me at [email protected] or send a private message if you'd like to help me out.

I have a new version of Hypography coming up soon, and need to get some beta testers lined up. Never mind all the stuff about blogging...Hypography will be a "different" kind of blog site.

Tormod

Tormod

Thanks, deamonstar.

I need a small group of people (say, 5 of you) who can help me test out the new version of Hypography which is currently residing on a development server. There is a new version of the forums and improved graphics of the entire site, but most importantly all forum members will be able to add news headlines, publish links, create hypographies, write comments and post articles/press releases. Just like today's "contributors", but sadly my current system is outdated and does not work too well so it needed a rework.

The testers will not need to put any "real" content in (I'll make sure we have some test content for publishing, for those who have no time to write/find stuff), and will go through and test different apsects of the site according to a checklist I make (plus make random strolls through the new site to spot errors and bugs). When I launch the new site everyone can participate in the overall running of the site.

I expect to begin the beta testing in 14 days, and will require just the time that you can spare - a couple of hours is fine. After the beta testing the new site will be launched.

I would really appreciate if some of you "old-timers" would help me out, since you have been with Hypography for a while and "know" the site a bit.

Tormod

Thanks all - I am a few weeks behind schedule due to overwork , a computer upgrade which is taking some time due to delayed hardware delivery, and a bout of the flu - I will contact each of you with details of what needs to be done when I am ready.

If anyone else wants to help out, feel free to post - this is open for all who can spare a few hours' worth of beta testing.

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update: I have a brand new version of the forums running on my development server. In the next version of Hypography, all members of the forums are automatically members of Hypography as well - which means everyone is welcome to publish stories, links, hypographies and so on.

Things are slowly moving forwards and the new site is taking shape, so bear with me.

If anyone have any feature requests NOW is the time to suggest them.

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...