Science Forums

Why Is Everyone Wrong About The Nephilim?

Iam Joy

No matter which version of Genesis 06:04 I read it doesn't say in any of them that the nephilim were the hybrid product of the mating between 'sons of God' and Earth women. Yet literally everything I've tried reading about the nephilim states as a fact that they were! I find this infuriating. Why is everyone so wrong? There are whole websites and books devoted to this false premise.

I'll list a few versions of Genesis 06:04 here:

"The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them: the same were the mighty men which were of old, the men of renown." (English Revised Version)

"The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them: the same were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown." (American Standard Version)

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterwards, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown." (English Standard Version)

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown." (KJV)

(Some other versions also refer to the nephilim as "giants")

I've looked at 15 versions, plus the Hebrew, and NONE of them state that the nephilim were the offspring of women with the 'sons of God' - their mating produced the famous mighty men of old, not the nephilim - so why has everyone got this wrong? If you take a look at anything about the nephilim online you'll see they are either regarded at 'fallen angels', demons or hybrids - not as a separate race/species in their own right that existed on Earth at the same time as humans. It's very annoying and I don't understand it.

Here's a breakdown of key words explained in Strong's Numbers:

giants (i.e. nephilim) 5303 - 'naphal'

sons 1121 of god 430 - 'ba-ne' 'elohim'

mighty men 1368 - 'hag-gib-ba-sim'

old 5769 - 'me-ow-lam'

renown 8034 - 'has-sem'

daughters 1323 of men 120 - 'ba-no-wt' 'ha-a-dam'

(please note that the a should look like an upside-down 'e' letter)

I also have to say that all the versions state the nephilim were either 'in' or 'on' the earth; but this is an incorrect translation as far as I can see it, because the word is 'ha-yu' masculine plural of 'hayah' (Strong's 1961) and it means; come to pass, be, belongs, belonged, came into being and many similar words. So it would be more accurate to state that "The Nephilim belonged to the land in those days" or "came from the land" ('earth' 776 being 'ba-a-res' meaning the land, ground, countryside).

Genesis 06:04 clearly states that the nephilim were here BEFORE the women were mated by the 'sons of God', and also AFTER this had happened when the women bore the children of the 'sons of God'. So I cannot understand why seemingly everyone has got this so wrong.

Please can anyone explain this situation to me and especially if it's my error. Thank you. :smile:

I could well believe that this deliberate misunderstanding is a meme spread by the Church in order to quash the idea that there was a race/species on Earth that Eve didn't give birth to, because that would smash up their doctrine; however, there are tons of 'alternative' websites and New Age/UFO beliefs, etc, that also state the nephilim were the offspring of the 'sons of God' and women (?) How can everyone be so wrong - or is it me?

-------------------

I know that the idea of the nephilim as 'fallen' comes from the meaning of 'naphal' (Strong's 5307), which is to be struck down, defeated and fallen to the ground - but personally I believe this refers to the fate of the nephilim as a race/species destined to be killed and superseded by humans (which they were later in the Bible).