Science Forums

Bible: Where Does God Give Man A Soul?

Iam Joy

God breathed life into Adam. Isn't the invention part of the inventer? Adam was dead, but God put inside Adam...life,consciousness and awareness, so Man is a product of God but not God per say? We owe our life to God? The soul or spirit is the invisible life to us from God? Thoughts? Paul

Although it's possible to abstractly discuss the body and the soul as if they were separate things, in reality they are intimately united and inseparable: together they constitute a single substancial being. The body/soul is a unity, not a duality: they are united as matter and form.

In reality? That's pretty heady accusation. Or shall I say assumption? Your theory would have it that when the body dies, all else follows. I don't subscribe to that thought, therefore, that makes it a theory in my mind. Besides which, I just made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The two halves, each piece of bread with different substances on them, were united in form to make the whole. I then took the sandwich apart, proving that unity does not equal being inseparable.   

In reality? That's pretty heady accusation. Or shall I say assumption? Your theory would have it that when the body dies, all else follows. I don't subscribe to that thought, therefore, that makes it a theory in my mind. Besides which, I just made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The two halves, each piece of bread with different substances on them, were united in form to make the whole. I then took the sandwich apart, proving that unity does not equal being inseparable.

Nice analogy. Still, the question remains: Is the soul like the top of a sandwich, able to be removed and handled independently? Or is it like the yeast in the bread, where removing it – if you could – would not yield baking yeast, and would leave the loaf a broken pile of ingredients that no longer qualifies as bread?

I agree that your sandwich proves that unity does not necessarily imply inseparability, but it certainly doesn’t demonstrate that every unity is separable.

Since we are talking about a soul, let's dispense with the analogies for a bit. The soul is that which is said to be judged when we die.......up in the "Pearly Gates" as the story goes. The soul/conscious is judged for the right and/or wrong that is had the body do. So what would happen if you removed the soul from the body before the body dies? I would imagine it would be akin to performing a frontal lobotomy. The body would be left walking in circles drooling on itself.

You could separate the two, but it wouldn't be a pretty sight.