Science Forums

Swarm Of Mini Helecopters For 2016 Mars Mission

plus as we have a map, navigating deeper would be easier than having to map as you go

you could have several "packages"

each one containing a series of "frogs"

so as one package goes and get line of laser landings

the second could go directly as far as it can go or to the end of the line, whichever comes first

and continue the process

plus as we have a map, navigating deeper would be easier than having to map as you go

you could have several "packages"

each one containing a series of "frogs"

so as one package goes and get line of laser landings

the second could go directly as far as it can go or to the end of the line, whichever comes first

and continue the process

Exploring those caverns will be interesting, I'm not convinced the frogs could be successfully controlled by a computer but then again I am sure a program with the ability to do so will be possible eventually.

so how would i submit this as an idea for the next mission?

Well the good news is that even ideas as hare-brained as Curiosity actually get built. I got the chance to talk to one of the scientists at Cal Tech last year after a speech he gave on how the Curiosity landing was going to work, and asked him, "so, what were you guys smoking when you thought up that idea?" He laughed and agreed it was pretty crazy.

Of course it DID work.

SO.

You could apply for a job at JPL.

You could apply for a graduate degree at Cal Tech.

Both of these get you close to the folks who actually decide how these gizmos are going to work.

You could send e-mails to the right people with your idea.

You could try to get more people to read Hypography so they see your idea and start talking about it.

You could start a campaign to lobby your congresscritters to earmark funds for it.

It would of course be a good idea to get the nit-picky little details that Mr. Moontan has been bugging you about. Sometimes crazy ideas can get going without that, but it's not really a very common occurrence.

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood, :phones:

Buffy

• 3 months later...