Science Forums

Has The Republican Party Lost It's Collective Mind?

Moontanman

It's bad enough the Republicans are supporting Creationists but this guy is even further out there, he believes in Dragons!

Allen Quist appears to believe in far worse things than dragons.

Quist has made many strongly anti-science, anti-education, and pro-theocracy statements. In my opinion, he’s a very bad person.

In fairness to the Republican party, Quist’s bid for that party’s nomination for US Representative from Minnesota is opposed by most of the its leaders, because they believe he cannot defeat his Democratic opponent. Quist has not won a campaign for public office in 25 years.

Although it appears unlikely that he will be elected to the US Congress this year, he is an ally of Representative Michelle Bachman, who allegedly shares essentially all of his pro-theocracy, anti-science beliefs.

My hope is that support for politicians such as Quist and Bachman is primarily from old voters, many of whom will die of old age with each passing year, reducing their numbers.

(Source: This 14 May 2012 Mother Jones magazine article)

This is the fellow that the Republican party has selected to be their candidate for United States Senator from the state of Missouri:

Senate Candidate and Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) told a local television station on Sunday that “legitimate rape” rarely produces pregnancy because “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” Akin cited conversations with unnamed doctors for the bizarre claim.

Akin sponsored legislation that would redefine rape in federal law to limit funding for abortion providers and has a long track record of uninformed and extreme views about women’s health. He has a consistently radical anti-choice voting record in the House, wants to ban the morning after pill, and has expressed concern that criminalizing marital rape gives women “a legal weapon to beat up on the husband” during a divorce.

It would be nice if they were only crazy. Crazy is protected by the First Amendment. I strongly support anyone's right to make a fool of themselves in public.

Of course when they start to use these mind-bogglingly counter-factual claims to change the law, well, as some of these same folks also helpfully point out, that's what the Second Amendment is for....

Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas, :phones:

Buffy

Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas, :phones:

Buffy

As much as I smell the sarcasm in that statement, I can't resist the urge to comment on it. CO2 isn't harmful, when it blocks the IR rays, that's when it becomes a pain in the butt.

Coming back to the topic, they are Republicans, what else do you expect?

No offense to the Republican supporters but it has become a trend to recruit crazy-nutsoes into the party. Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich. I can go on forever. Honestly, I think the US should have a 3 party system. That ought to shake things up a bit. :sheepjump:

Edited by Alpine

As much as I smell the sarcasm in that statement, I can't resist the urge to comment on it. CO2 isn't harmful, when it blocks the IR rays, that's when it becomes a pain in the butt.

Uh, wanna tell that to the families of these folks?

On the slope of Mammoth Mountain, a California peak that had already claimed four lives this winter, three ski patrol members died in a bizarre accident Thursday after they fell into a snow cave created by volcanic gas and were overcome by toxic fumes.

James Juarez, 35, John "Scott" McAndrews, 37, and Charles "Walter" Rosenthal, 58, were moving a fence to prevent skiers from coming too close to the gases when they fell through the snow, according to a statement released by Mammoth Mountain Ski Area. Seven members of a rescue team sent to help them were hospitalized for exposure to the fumes and released the next day.

Carbon dioxide and other gases blow out of the volcanic vent near the top of the 11,053-foot peak in the Sierra Nevada range, melting the snow in a bubble above it. "This vent is and has been, since forever, a very well-known, well-recognized spot," Mammoth Lakes Mayor Rick Wood said. "You can ski by it -- it's always roped off -- and you can smell the sulfur coming off it."

Yah, you can quibble about the exact mechanism, but the fact is that "CO2 causes harm" in very tangible ways.

The way Michele was using it in the quote though was an excellent example of a case of "I heard it from an expert (who's as clueless as I am, but he's got a degree, possibly even in science)!"

But, yah, that IR absorption can really sweat your fanny (sorry, "bum" if you're a Brit) off....

Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do, :phones:

Buffy

I read a fairly well-reasoned essay one time--no, don't remember where--that said that three-party systems tend to be unstable.

There is an overwhelming tendency for the two systems that are the most in sympathy to join forces to defeat the third party.

Eventually people will defect to one of the two cooperating parties--maybe the older one, maybe the newer one--but it happens within a few elections.

Saxon Violence

PS: {Multiple Party Systems work by a different dynamic.

However, most Countries cursed with multiple political parties use some sort of Parliamentary procedure wherein the "Parliment"--or whatever they call it--subsequently elects a "Prime Minister"--a sort of Wobbly "President".....

And Generally members of "Parliament" are subject to recall by the people and the "Prime Minister" can be recalled by the People and/or by "Parliment" if coalitions shift. }

PPS: Multiple Parties seems to be going towards "Mobocracy" and away from the Limited Republic System that we need to try very hard to hang onto.....

Although it's already pretty much broken.....

Edited by SaxonViolence

Yes I saw that too Moontanman. I would think they would have revolted after he was elected the 1st time not after reelection, but what do I know. This strip club is getting ready for the upstanding, moral, prayer in school party to come to town.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/politics/2012/08/22/evc-orig-tampa-strip-clubs-rnc.cnn

How many parties are there in the US? Only two?

Well, if you count Goldman Sachs (and friends) as a party, then many! Of course they choose to play the non-traditional "behind the scene" roll after winning the elections, like they did after winning the 2000 and 2004 elections.

Dangit, I was trying to behave....but...

Republicans have always been mental, so No they haven't lost their minds. They never had them to begin with.

VOTE LIBERTARIAN!!!!! That third party Alpine (and many many others) apparently does not know exists.

I love the fact that you used "and many many others".

In my defense, neither am I an American nor do I live in the USA (or on the other half of GMT). All I know is that the top dogs are the Republicans and Democrats.

On a serious note, there are (according to Wikipedia), 5 major parties in the USA, the Green Party and the Constitution Party are among them which I think nobody cares about. :crying:

P.S: My knowledge of the North American (the continent) politics is very limited.

Well, if you count Goldman Sachs (and friends) as a party, then many! Of course they choose to play the non-traditional "behind the scene" roll after winning the elections, like they did after winning the 2000 and 2004 elections.

I love the fact that you used "and many many others".

In my defense, neither am I an American nor do I live in the USA (or on the other half of GMT). All I know is that the top dogs are the Republicans and Democrats.

On a serious note, there are (according to Wikipedia), 5 major parties in the USA, the Green Party and the Constitution Party are among them which I think nobody cares about. :crying:

P.S: My knowledge of the North American (the continent) politics is very limited.

Would not have been nice or accurate to single you out Don't feel too bummed, most of the people here seem to only know of the two.

I see. I like to pretend I'm not American Tis far less embarrassing. Our politicians are not the only problem over here, down here, up here, which ever case it may be.

And yes people with brains tend to ignore most of the other parties. The really really smart ones vote Libertarian even though we know the odds are we will never win...at least not as long as so many here like the "nanny state" way of running things.

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

It's bad enough the Republicans are supporting Creationists but this guy is even further out there, he believes in Dragons!

I haven't seen this link yet, I do know your sentiments. The one that has been cracking me up is this Republican Sentator "wannabe" Congressman Aiken: "If the rape was legitimate women have a way to shut that whole thing down". Now if rape can be legitimate, implies there is "illegitimate rape". What is that?!?

Or is there "consensual rape"?

I know the Republican party has great desire to legislate what women can do with their bodies. So they quote a guy who from the 80's when he actually practiced as a Doctor (not sure where the degree was from) professed because women have emotions that in times of stress ("Forcible Rape") women's hormones can interrupt the oncoming pregnancy. This "professed" doctor never checked his theory with clinical facts. He just believed it was true. So this stupid example of a politician just repeats this garbage, without checking either! "Who needs to check, my source was an expert (at least I think he was)"...

So now the Republican party is having their hoedown after having skirted hurricane Isaac.

For those of you who commented about the US having two major parties and that we need more: look at Italy, a prime example of five or more major parties and we see how much they get done & what shape they are in!

Still two parties are better than one. Just look at China or Russia. Both still have one major party, though Russia's party now is defined by you support those currently in power or you disappear, get labeled a "hooligan" and serve 7 years.

What bothers me most is when the Supreme Court ruled based on the fact that Corporations are people they can donate however much they want to whoever they want. Yeah, that's Democracy!

Were it that I could wave magic wand (if I had one), I would get rid of the party concept entirely. No longer would it be my party against your party. It would be people running for the office based on the current issues at hand. This is way the election proceeded in the United States in 1800. There were no parties. All had an equal chance. The issues would be even a lot simpler:

1. Eliminate the Federal Deficit and commit to paying off the Federal Debt.
  2. Create a Tax system that can acquire sufficient revenue to run the country in a balanced approach.
  3. Have a Medical Insurance system that can include anyone that chooses to and be equal to all.
  4. Create an economic environment that supports growth and lower unemployment to a minimum while keeping inflation in check.
  5. Recreate Social Security System such that it can sustain itself for a 100 or more years, than just a couple.
  6. Recreate the Welfare System such that it promotes people getting off it than promoting perpetuity of welfare.
  7. Create initiatives in multiple areas (Energy Production, Technology, Space, Science, Education, ...) that promote innovation and solutions.

(the order does not mean importance)

1. Starting with Congress resolve to balance the fiscal budget of US. I heard one (I think Buffet invented it) that legislation be put in place (added to Paygo rules), that our politicians forgo their salary in the fiscal year in which they didn't balance the budget. As Buffet says, "they would solve that problem quick!" Do you know that for the coming 2013 fiscal year that it will be the 2nd time the Nation Debt has exceeded our GDP (US). The only other time since these statistics were kept was just after WW II which lasted 7 years. This was to pay for the expenditures of the war effort. Let me ask you what war are we in? It appears to be the class war everyone is talking about.

2. A simpler system is possible. One is not to have a Deduction for everything. To have only a few tax credits. Business get one for investments (R&D, infrastructure, etc), people could keep mortgage deduction (1 house only < $1,000,000). A flat tax is not as fair as a couple of tiers with the bottom rate starting at $20k income. The top rate should the same as a business get (remember corps are people!) - so 25%. Even Warren Buffet says he should probably pay more tax.

3. The one provision that I like in the Affordable Care Act is the elimination of "preexisting conditions" by the insurance company policies (though this doesn't take effect til 1/1/2014). Most of this bill was written with a handshake to the insurance companies. It is a start, though we could do a lot better.

4. Hardest one: Not sure I know where to start. Maybe the tax reform mentioned above with another tax cut to the little people. ???

5. Have SSS be a dual plan where the pool is the same (one for all). However, what you put in FICA is tracked. After a time (say five years), the amount you put in plus growth of the system is an amount you can direct what to do with it (invest). No real risk taking here, all vehicles would be sound. Yet Rate of Return could be variable. You can not take money out until 62 (partial) or 65 (partial or full) or create an annuity. In this way, your gets to look more like yours and you take an invested interest in it. Though maybe payouts might still have to be modified (a little bit).

6. A recreation should look more like a reemployment type system where there is a beginning and an expected end date. There are multiple reasons why a person got to this point, so one size does not fit all here. Yet an overriding commitment that the system has to the individual not being in the system forever.

7. Create initiatives in multiple areas to promote the desired result for that area. For energy production: Initiatives in Wind, Solar, Natural Gas, Fuel Cell. The best way here is tax credits to both consumers and producers. Consumers could get a tax credit when they purchase such a product. Companies could get credit when they invest either in engaging in this business or in some way lowering their energy demand internally.

Some of this we are doing in the current administration. None of which would be done if the Republican got their wish of winning both houses and the presidency other than a lot of rhetoric (hot air) about not much.

maddog

Edited by maddog

The one that has been cracking me up is this Republican Sentator "wannabe" Congressman Aiken: "If the rape was legitimate women have a way to shut that whole thing down". Now if rape can be legitimate, implies there is "illegitimate rape". What is that?!?

You are at a disadvantage, as you aren't used to the mental gymnastics required to make a statement such as Aiken's with a straight face.

1) Assume that a fact is something that provides evidence for a position you already know to be correct.

2) Abortion is murder.

3) Even abortion opponents recognize the cruelty in requiring rape victims to carry to term the result of rape, but admitting acceptable instances of abortion negates the moral relevance of point 2.

4) Define rape in such a way that abortion can not be a logical consequence of rape.

5) Women that become pregnant "wanted it", or at least "didn't not want it badly enough".

6) Therefore, if a woman is pregnant, she wasn't raped.

7) Therefore, there is no need to exclude instances of rape from prohibitions on abortion

8) Since "compassionate" reasons for abortion have been eliminated, there is now no excuse left for abortion.

9) Convince the populous that point 7 is valid without making yourself sound like an uneducated, uncaring ***.

Aiken failed on point 9, but just barely. Where I live, many regard him as a hero that spoke the truth in spite of the consequences of his boldness. Small government my ***.

The problem with the US representative democracy is not, in my opinion, the lack of a third party. The problem is that politicians in the United States have succeeded in constructing a political structure through which they can blackmail (through directed taxation and regulation, and directed relief from the same) segments of the economy into supporting their re-election efforts in exchange for favorable treatment versus their competitors. The problem is crony capitalism, pure and simple, and until that is addressed, all other solutions will be temporary. However, there isn't, in my opinion, a single politician in Washington that is capable of turning his back on the machine that got him elected in order to affect change, nor is there any hope of electing one that would.

Rarely am I so utterly pessimistic.

Edited by JMJones0424