Science Forums

If I were King.....

This is a split from another thread, but there was some interest growing in it so Bio suggested that we start a new thread specifically along these lines...

Fish- I think you ought to start a thread with your take on the ideal school system: not so much funding (althoug :) h it is hard to avoid it), but the curricula, the handling of gifted and special, and the role of testing, etc. It would get a lot of attention here.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck. Could you at least fix the typo in my opening quote? My tender ego hates my typos, and I make hundreds of them.

Not a big deal Bio; We all make these typo's, I for one am constantly having to edit my posts because of mistakes I've made in spelling and punctuation.

Not a big deal Bio; We all make these typo's, I for one am constantly having to edit my posts because of mistakes I've made in spelling and punctuation.

Me too. To often I just hit the submit button and move on instead of previewing my post.

Originally Posted by Biochemist

Fish- I think you ought to start a thread with your take on the ideal school system: not so much funding (although it is hard to avoid it), but the curricula, the handling of gifted and special, and the role of testing, etc. It would get a lot of attention here.

How's that?

"If IIIIIIII.....were Kiiiiiiiing...of the forreeeeeeeest......; I'd rrrwoof; and Id rrwoof...":hyper:

even though the school systems may be messed up here and there, i don't see how else they would work? the kids go to school, they are given the choice to learn, so they can do their assignments and tests and progress on. as much as i couldn't stand public school, i guess that's just the way it goes.

Is this a subconscious indictment of the US educations system..... :)

Yes actually. At least we haven't reached the point they have in the U.K. though. A recent news article suggested that they are going to ease up on spelling accuracy requirements :D

Incorrect spelling will not be penalised in English tests

Skool xams definitly aint what they used to be. Concern about the nation's spelling abilities may have spawned a best-selling book and a television series, but for today's pupils, ignorance of "i before e except after c" is no barrier to success.

Examiners marking an English test taken by 600,000 14-year-olds have been told not to deduct marks for incorrect spelling on the main writing paper, worth nearly a third of the overall marks.

The rule, issued by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority, means that pupils could spell every word wrongly in the most significant piece of writing that they are required to do and yet still receive full marks.

More here.......

Well, back on thread...

IMO I am a big advocate of the European gymnasium system of education. I have spent time in Sweden under this system and found it a much better system. Those that have had longer exposure to such systems may have a different outlook on them, but my exposure was a very positive one and makes the standard US model look woefully inadequate.

For those that are unfamiliar with the system; here is a quick synopsys. (At least the medodology applied in Sweden that I experienced). Grade school is very simmilar. In the basic equivalence of 8th grade there is an exam. Based on scores, there is a basic split. There is a division from students that pursue academic venues, and those that go down vocational lines.

In "high school" you are divided into "lines". Essentailly programs with specific interests. The lines available vary somewhat from school to schhol, but there is usually a few broad areas. Humanity lines that vary from history, art, languages specialization (A Finnish frind of mine even was in a Dancing line). Scientific lines (Broken into technical [hard sciences, more math and physiocs] Natual scienece lines [more biology, chemistry forused]).

Each line had classes that you went to almost all your classes with the same set of students.