Science Forums

Awesome fiction on nanotechnology!

AGThePoet

Hey I just read <u>Prey</u> by Micheal Cricthon. It is a fiction book based on the dangers of self-evolving nanobots. As it says on the inside cover:

"In the Nevada desert, an experiment has gone horibly wrong. A cloud of nanoparticles- microrobots- has escaped from the labratory. This cloud is sulf-sustaining and self-reproducing. It is intelligent and learns from experience. For all practical purposes, it is alive.

It has been programmed as a predator. It is evolving swiftly, becoming more deadly with each passing hour.

Every attempt to destroy it has failed.

And we are the prey."

This book provides a fascinating look at how A.I. could evolve within the human labratory accidently, and how deadly it could be if it goes on unchecked. For everyone who likes science fiction!

AGThePoet

Thanks for the tip, AG, I haven't read a single Chrichton novel myself since I read "Sphere" back in 1989 (and a scary book it was...too bad the movie sucks).

I am currently reading Richard Morgan's second novel, Broken Angel. It is futuristic hard SF where a team of soldiers are on a commercial mission to find a gateway made by an alien race. Some of their "friends" made them bring along a sample of nanotech grey goo - which turns out to be a sentient lump of matter which primary instinct is to build up defences against anything it meets. So when it starts attacking people - it simply won't die, it just adapts...and it gets very ugly...great stuff.

By the way, Richard Morgan's first novel, Altered Carbon, was perhaps the best debut novel I've ever read!

Tormod