Science Forums

Problem with report post feature

Lancewen

I submitted 3 spam reports against tedmovie84

and got the following message all 3 times:

We just recovered (hopefully) from a malware infection of our server (see Virus warning, blank screens, etc), so this may be a side-effect of that work - though I recall similar problem reports from some time ago, so it may be a long-standing one.

Despite the error, we did get you report, and have removed and flagged the offending spammer.

Hang in there, keep using the report button despite the error, and hopefully all will be back to normal soon.

We just recovered (hopefully) from a malware infection of our server (see Virus warning, blank screens, etc), so this may be a side-effect of that work - though I recall similar problem reports from some time ago, so it may be a long-standing one.

Despite the error, we did get you report, and have removed and flagged the offending spammer.

Hang in there, keep using the report button despite the error, and hopefully all will be back to normal soon.

I was hoping you were getting the reports, but because of the error I couldn't tell. In any event I reported all 3 posts as if you were getting them.

• 10 months later...

I tried to report a post a few minutes ago. The page eventually timed out (Firefox error). Tried again, with same result.

Did you try and login using IE8, 9 or 10 yet. I'd be interested if you would get a different result.

PS - Great avatar :rolleyes:

Did you try and login using IE8, 9 or 10 yet. I'd be interested if you would get a different result.

PS - Great avatar :rolleyes:

Just tried - same message as OP:

The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500

Most likely causes:

•The website is under maintenance.

•The website has a programming error.

Thanks - I think - for the praise of my avatar. It's from my coffee mug (see profile pic). It's one of a pair - I have Eeyore, the wife has Tigger.

Almost the same. You are showing HTTP 500 and I had ERROR 500, but everything else seems to be the same. I haven't been posting much here lately, so wouldn't know if spam could be the problem again.

I've had no feedback, so I've tried reporting the same post again, with the same result. I wonder if anybody is minding the shop? I'd have expected some activity somewhere. Especially since the post I'm trying to report was written by a moderator :banghead: :banghead:

This has been an ongoing issue. I made a thread on it when I first noticed it in January of last year and at that time, even though I was getting a 500 error, Pamela was seeing the reports being made. If nothing has changed, I suspect that it's just a failure to return you to the post you've reported after hitting submit. I just tested the report feature again and I still get a 500 error after hitting submit. I'm using chrome v27 on a windows 7 os.

I've had no feedback, so I've tried reporting the same post again, with the same result. I wonder if anybody is minding the shop?

While we’re not minding the shop as well as I’d like, we’re minding it as best we can.

Since moving hypography to its current engine (IP.board), I’ve found it much more difficult to watch for reports. Our previous engine (vBulletin) simply created a moderator-viewable thread for every report. IP.board requires us to open and check a “report center”. Worse, since we implemented it, the feature that’s supposed to show new reports doesn’t seem to work, requiring us to keep track of the internal number of the last report and edit the URL to check for new ones.

Of course, you could argue that fixing problems like this, and worse, the bogus message that follows submitting a report, is an important part of watching the shop, and I’m just making lame excuses... I’ll try to fix these issues – or whine to Buffy ‘til she fixes them – and meanwhile, keep a better watch for reports.

I'd have expected some activity somewhere. Especially since the post I'm trying to report was written by a moderator

Sorry for the lateness. I tried to restore some kindness (and some good science-y information) to the thread with this post.