Science Forums

Hunger

Queso

Imagine if a large population of people are hungry, for an extended period of time.

even though! things that can be accomplished by some work can never be inherited, take for example a son of an athlete father who his father is a good athlete will not become a good athlete unless he trains hard, even if all of his ancestors were good athletes.

even though! things that can be accomplished by some work can never be inherited, take for example a son of an athlete father who his father is a good athlete will not become a good athlete unless he trains hard, even if all of his ancestors were good athletes.

This is the essence of natural selection. If he trains hard, he will probably have a better chance at success that someone form a non-athletic heritage.

I am not sure specificaly what Kukucan was speaking about for time period when he spoke about reduced food availability. Either in generational terms or within a lifespan. Hungry starving people are irrational. Look at pre-WWII Germany. They were willing to blame anyone for their situation and go to monsterous lengths to support it. (Pirannah are another example. They are harmless when the water levels are high and food is plentiful. Only when levels drop and they are isolated in pools do they become agressive when all other food sources have been depleted).

If it is a generational timescale, then that is just natural selection. How many friendly scavengers are there?

This is the essence of natural selection. If he trains hard, he will probably have a better chance at success that someone form a non-athletic heritage.

I am not sure specificaly what Kukucan was speaking about for time period when he spoke about reduced food availability. Either in generational terms or within a lifespan. Hungry starving people are irrational. Look at pre-WWII Germany. They were willing to blame anyone for their situation and go to monsterous lengths to support it. (Pirannah are another example. They are harmless when the water levels are high and food is plentiful. Only when levels drop and they are isolated in pools do they become agressive when all other food sources have been depleted).

If it is a generational timescale, then that is just natural selection. How many friendly scavengers are there?

doesn't natural selection deal with events that cause changes on the genes, so that the new habit can be inherited, Is the need of foot such a thing?!, is it for the case of the athlete?, you know ... this could mean that a mans ancestors educational habits can be inherited, why for example would a son of a genius doctor hold a lot of hatred for science ?!

by the way, scavengers are not friendly for defensive purposes, you know, they do so, because they want to gain more respect, maybe not I don't really know :friday:

you argue the most uneccessary things!

at least I'm trying to learn more on this subject...

doesn't natural selection deal with events that cause changes on the genes, so that the new habit can be inherited, Is the need of foot such a thing?!, is it for the case of the athlete?, you know ... this could mean that a mans ancestors educational habits can be inherited, why for example would a son of a genius doctor hold a lot of hatred for science ?!

Not that it consigns an idividual to a lineage, but the existence of the lineage could be the result of a specific ability through genetics. In the case of an athelete, a total package of high-end sight, coordinative abilities, specific alveolar design that causes better respiration, etc. Perhaps it is just a stubborn or competitive personality. These could all be heretiable traits that enhance the individual's ability. As stated the availability of these advantages does not always mean the aplication of them. Aside from the nature there is also a big influence of nurture.

Something like pre-WWII Germany either consistently or intermittently throughout several generations, narrowing the gene pool of that population. Maybe even global famine.

People who inherit a genetic predisposition for obesity could very well have had ancestors who survived famine by having the ability to store fat. Similarly thinner people, who "get really irritated and can only focus on food and getting it", may have descended from those with a predisposition toward aggression when hungry...

___Orby you might look into fasting as a way to further explore the kind of mood changes you describe. Don't go overboard as no end of such recomendations abound! ;)

___Nonetheless, a 1 to 3 day fast on juice or water has a way of getting you in touch with your body. I have done this fairly regularly for many years, sometimes required by medical procedures but also for its own sake.

___I always have in mind that something I don't eat is available for something or someone else. When I do eat, I eat in moderation for the same regard. Waste not, want not.