Science Forums

Post A Cool Picture

Lancewen

Bluejay with his favorite food in mouth. Bluejay's are one of my favorite birds to watch and feed. I maintain a daily feeding schedule for them throughout the year and at times I have to personally keep the crows away as they are the bullies of all the birds that come to feed, and I don't like them much. I also throw out regular mixed wild bird food. I sometimes get doves but at this time of the year, a group of about a dozen pidgins moves in to clean up whatever the crows leave. If I had the time I'd chase them away to.

Picture made by ESA astronaut André Kuipers on the ISS. The double lensing is caused by an air bubble trapped in the water bubble.

Check out the Bad Astronomy blog for a more thorough explanation of the photo and the physics behind it.

tre kewl mr. J. !

Bluejay with his favorite food in mouth. Bluejay's are one of my favorite birds to watch and feed. I maintain a daily feeding schedule for them throughout the year and at times I have to personally keep the crows away as they are the bullies of all the birds that come to feed, and I don't like them much. I also throw out regular mixed wild bird food. I sometimes get doves but at this time of the year, a group of about a dozen pidgins moves in to clean up whatever the crows leave. If I had the time I'd chase them away to.

i like these birds too. :thumbs_up besides their watchability, they can and do imitate the calls of other birds. while it is a jay, it's not a blue jay; it's a stellar's jay. out west where we are we don't get true blue jays, rather we have stellar's jays and scrub jays. in the east and midwest, they don't have stellar's jays though i'm not sure of scrub jays. then there are gray jays & their distribution escapes me at the moment.

anyway, here's a shot i took that few have a chance at; a steam eruption from mt. st. helens. this was march 8, 2005 from my yard. say 'duck & cover'. :scared: :photos:

Edited by Turtle

wish i had a picture, but at the moment i live in a barn, and i have some swallow roomates, 2 couples

this morning at around 630 am, the male woke me up all happy, he looked like an expecting dad outside a berthing room,

so i got my ladder and looked at the nest, and the female was cuddling with a newly hatched baby bird, it was awesome

i like these birds too. :thumbs_up besides their watchability, they can and do imitate the calls of other birds. while it is a jay, it's not a blue jay; it's a stellar's jay. out west where we are we don't get true blue jays, rather we have stellar's jays and scrub jays. in the east and midwest, they don't have stellar's jays though i'm not sure of scrub jays. then there are gray jays & their distribution escapes me at the moment.

anyway, here's a shot i took that few have a chance at; a steam eruption from mt. st. helens. this was march 8, 2005 from my yard. say 'duck & cover'. :scared: :photos:

Thanks for the Info. what can I say they were jays and were mostly blue. When I put out a scoop of peanuts in the shell, they start squawking loudly and then swoop in find one to their liking (somethings that takes checking several of them) then they fly away with it. I suspect they eat the first ones then come back and grab others to hide for later. They appear to be more intelligent than other seed eaters and are always aware of everything going around them, unlike the stupid doves and pidgins. I wanted to get pictures of some of the smaller birds but that's proving to be challenging as to get a good shot I need to be fairly close. So if you have any tips, I'm all ears.

The following shots are of an old log cabin next to where I'm living. The owner claims to have grown up in it. She's in her 70's now so it was a while ago. As you can see it's in a bit of disrepair, but she says the city want's to restore it as a historic building, and if I remember correctly they will also relocate it.

Front View

Side View

Back View

Out House

Old Corral

Thanks for the Info. what can I say they were jays and were mostly blue. When I put out a scoop of peanuts in the shell, they start squawking loudly and then swoop in find one to their liking (somethings that takes checking several of them) then they fly away with it. I suspect they eat the first ones then come back and grab others to hide for later. They appear to be more intelligent than other seed eaters and are always aware of everything going around them, unlike the stupid doves and pidgins. I wanted to get pictures of some of the smaller birds but that's proving to be challenging as to get a good shot I need to be fairly close. So if you have any tips, I'm all ears.

:lol: you know me; a stickler for detail. ;)

so tips. a lot depends on the camera but here goes.

☺ use a tripod.

☺ make a blind.

☺ set the camera by the seed and use a remote control to trip the shutter.

☺ set the camera by the seed and turn on video-camera mode and leave it, then get stills by selecting individual frames.

☺ use the zoom.

☺ attach a feeder just outside of window and shoot from inside. (may cause glare, and some birds are ground feeders so won't work for all.)

☺ take a lot of shots and keep only the best.

☺ be patient.

☺ be persistent.

☺ good luck. :photos:

revisiting the idea of "what can I say..." i think it's worthwhile to point out that a semi-major chord of science is to say everything that can be said of a thing that is demonstrably evident. the more you know, the more you know to look for.

i think you will find this Hypography thread by Hill interesting in this context. the jays in this case are scrub jays. there are 2 photos attached but i can't seem to figure out how to display them in this post. :loser: :read:

Jay behavior: an investigation costing meerly peanuts.

I've noticed when feeding Western Scrub Jays whole roasted unsalted peanuts, that initially they are simply opportunists, grabbing a nut and leaving as quickly as possible. Once they get used to a consistant feeding area they slow their pace and seem to fall into one of two separate groups.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello arKane,

I hope you do not mind my posting this short video of how to separate an egg, Chinese Style on your thread.

In my opinion, it is a very cool series of pictures, aka video, and it utilizes a simple scientific principle.

Click on the royalty free image to be taken to the video site. The commentary is in Chinese but the demonstration is self-explanatory.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...