Science Forums

2001 A Space Odyssey Commentary

gbriggs

Welcome to hypography, Gbriggs! :)

I liked you film commentary video, especially how it shows your obvious affection and respect for this famous movie. I first saw 2001 days before my 8th birthday, and can without exaggeration say it has stuck with and influenced me ever since, and that I love it as much as one can love a movie.

Some comments:

• It sounds like your mike level should be lowered, or a wind guard put used - your voice sounds distorting at times.
  • I'd avoid calling the proto-humans depicted in 2001's "dawn" act "apes". In science, "apes" refers to gorillas, chimps, humans and similar species presently living. The phrase "humans evolved from apes" is a trigger phrase that science enthusiasts associated with religious attacks on science. This use of the term "ape" tends to annoy us.
  • Is HAL really murdered by the deactivation of his "higher executive functions" shown in the movie? Clarke brings him back to life 10 movie-years and 16 writer-years later in his 2010 novel, which came to theatres 2 years later as a work of screencraft IMHO much inferior to 2001.

Not only did 2001 and its lesser sequel influence my life and worldview with regards to science and technology, it raised some of my first serious thoughts about the relationship between SF writing and filmmaking, when years after seeing 2001, I read Clarke’s novel and discussion of the complicated relationship between him and Kubrick that produces 2001’s Kubrick’s screenplay and Clarke’s novel. ‘Til around that time, it hadn’t occurred to me that making a SF movie involved more, and less, than writing a SF story, making a screenplay of it, then as accurately as possible rendering it as audio and video. To this day, I continue to ponder the differences and similarities between reading and watching.

You’ve won a youtube fan, Gbriggs. I hope you like our humble science discussion forum, and get and give some enriching thoughts in future reading and posting. :thumbs_up