Science Forums

Survival Wagon Idea - Recreation Or Reality TV

Turtle

___Great idea! I have driven a sand rail once & it's funny I was just thinking how I could use that 6 foot box kite I've been talking about to pull the wagon under suitable conditions.

___I fully intend to take it into the mountains; as a camp vehicle there is no reason to make any haste. If I get tired, I stop & set up camp. If a hill is too steep to pull up, out comes the winch & taclke.

___Earlier on I mentioned my canceled trip in Gifford Pinchot Forest & this is rugged mountainous terrain with a few logging roads. The beginning of my route is a 30 degree hairpin climb for a mile or so. I'm hoping if I actually get there I have convinced a pusher to accompany me. :xx:

___On the seamanship I have familiarity, but in the wagons present configuration I'll need submariner status. I have basically resolved to cross that bridge when I build it. :hihi:

• 3 weeks later...

___Well I've done my move & have the wagon kit at the new place & as my other housemates haven't made the move yet I have been eating the freeze dried meals I have onboard. They taste pretty good (I have been buying them but had never eaten one), but I have noticed a little heart burn; this may be due to the high sodium content in them or simply the extreme anxiety I'm having over moving.

___I originally had dried beans, rice, & canned meats on board, but they don't keep well over a year or so & they weigh considerably more than the freeze dried stuff. Someone bought me one freeze dried meal that heats itself, you just add water; the label says it expires in 2029!

___Well, keep those wagons & ideas rolling! :naughty:

Someone bought me one freeze dried meal that heats itself, you just add water; the label says it expires in 2029!

Man, that's cool! If you still have some left in 2028 let me know and I'll come over for a beer and some self-heating meal before it expires in 2029! :naughty:

___Well I've done my move & have the wagon kit at the new place & as my other housemates haven't made the move yet I have been eating the freeze dried meals I have onboard. They taste pretty good (I have been buying them but had never eaten one), but I have noticed a little heart burn; this may be due to the high sodium content in them or simply the extreme anxiety I'm having over moving.

___I originally had dried beans, rice, & canned meats on board, but they don't keep well over a year or so & they weigh considerably more than the freeze dried stuff. Someone bought me one freeze dried meal that heats itself, you just add water; the label says it expires in 2029!

___Well, keep those wagons & ideas rolling! :naughty:

Hey Turtle, thats really cool, now all we need is the package to deliver itself to the landfill so we wont' have to take out the garbage.

GETE In my house I do all the garbage taking out; it's not so much I like it, but I need routines to stay stable & the others either are too busy or don't care.

___Those freeze dried meals have me eating antacids by the handfull, especially the teriyaki chicken & rice last night which I didn't finish. As I say, it may just be the stress of moving. Good thing antacids are part of the first aid kit onboard the wagon! ;)

GETE In my house I do all the garbage taking out; it's not so much I like it, but I need routines to stay stable & the others either are too busy or don't care.

___Those freeze dried meals have me eating antacids by the handfull, especially the teriyaki chicken & rice last night which I didn't finish. As I say, it may just be the stress of moving. Good thing antacids are part of the first aid kit onboard the wagon! ;)

Sounds like you may have to stock-up on Pepto Bismol Turtle. BTW where do you get those meals that heat themselves when water is added. I think that is the coolest thing I've ever heard. No pun intended.

___I have just one of the self-heaters & it was a Christmas gift (do my acquaintences know me or what!?) The link C1ay posted is actually the brand I received; they may be the only ones doing it right now.

___Tormod, I would enjoy your proposed engagement; may I suggest one of our NW micro brews? How long does beer keep anyway? I wonder if Grolsch keeps longer with its platic & rubber cap than bottles with metal caps? I realize Grolsch is an import, but I like it very well. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

___Currently my survival wagon is dismembered, its various parts strewn throughout the place. I have in mind to start using the various parts seperately; the photovolataic setup to take me off the grid & test just how much power I really have, the wagon & winch setup to construct a trail down the steep hillside at the back of my house, & in general try to make the whole thing more practical. :turtle:

How long does beer keep anyway? I wonder if Grolsch keeps longer with its platic & rubber cap than bottles with metal caps? I realize Grolsch is an import, but I like it very well. :turtle:

I feel I should chime in here a little :D

Beer's "shelf life" increases (roughly) with increasing alcohol content and light exposure. Barleywines, for example, are 10% or so beer that are suppoosed to be aged for several years. Bud doesn't even get into the can before it goes bad ;)

The plastic/rubber caps do tend to make better beer- I have a few and bottle each batch in regular metal caps and the plastic ones, the plastic ones always taste better. The problem with Grolsch is the bottles are green- which doesn't block the light as well as green bottles. So Grolsch is a bad choice for keeping beer long term. You can find lots of good microbrews (especially here in the NW!) in the plastic tops, but you need to go to a specialty store, probably...

I suggest North Coast brewery, they got some good stuff :cup:

_

___Well, keep those wagons & ideas rolling! :turtle:

I hope you have a camera and plenty of film with you, I would really like to get a look at your wagon Turtle. BTW watch out for Big Foot, you know he's suposed to be roaming around up there in the north west. If it's possible, send us some pictures. Enjoy yourself.............have a good one Turtle.

___I have dematerialized my film camera & have instead a video camera with infrared nightvision. I have indeed thought I might catch some images of crypto zoologic interest. :cup: Imagine me pushing the wagon from behind while watching on TV the road ahead through IR in the dark. :turtle:

• 4 weeks later...

___After moving the wagon to a new home & pushing & pulling it around on various terrain, I see it's going to take a real disaster for me to set out anywhere with it. It seems with a 500 pound wagon at least 2 people needed. I'll just keep it around in case. :) Another obsessive/compulsive episode laid to rest. :)

• 1 month later...
___After moving the wagon to a new home & pushing & pulling it around on various terrain, I see it's going to take a real disaster for me to set out anywhere with it. It seems with a 500 pound wagon at least 2 people needed. I'll just keep it around in case. :) Another obsessive/compulsive episode laid to rest. :lol:

___Nothing like a disaster for renewing interest in survival. Just so, I have spent some time re-configuring my wagon in order to bring the weight down & put it in better working order.

___In light of the Gulf coast mess, I have to say officials & scientists have warned of this for years. Whose fault is it when people don't prepeare? Have you prepeared for an emergency? Loss of power, water, fuel, shelter, defense? Why or why not? :)

___Nothing like a disaster for renewing interest in survival. :lol:
Hey Turtle, I just had another idea for your Survival Wagon. After what happened on the gulf coast, you may want to be able to float this on water. Build it so you could ride afloat on it and you might want to have an oar or two also? Nothing like being prepared, right?