Science Forums

Spaceship Engines On Pulse Fields (Edip)

Green Ray

THE PROJECT THE POSTMAN. INITIAL LEVEL. NEW CONCEPT SPACESHIP «SOLAR BIRD»

In the given article the author makes an attempt on according to his understanding to formulate problems and their hypothetical decisions and to designate the field of necessary engineering in experimental, and theoretical plans, necessary for the creation of space vehicle suitable for the development of solar system and space by people. The majority of constructions offered in the given article as far as it is known to the author were not investigated experimentally and at a current condition of researches they are Hypotheses offered by the author. It would be desirable to add and express the hope that practice will show their validity and there will be researchers ready to check them up experimentally. At a current state of technologies it is quite realizable to be mounted and investigated.Energy and capacity of such SPACESHIP ENGINES ON PULSE FIELDS (EDIP) in the presence of the corresponding generator of the electric power will surpass engines on significantly chemical fuel. Time of work of engines will increase significantly the between weight of a payload and weight of the space vehicle with fuel will improve. Theoretically achievable speed is comparable with a velocity of light (i.e. with speed of distribution of a field). Also fast operated change of a vector of draught in a direction and capacity is probable. During flights in atmosphere the flight has a smoothly adjustable speed and is almost silent. High efficiency. Range of flight of space vehicles will increase significantly. The large supply on weight and traction effort will allow to create strong designs capable for long and almost continuous service.

The author: Nikitin Sergey Alekseevich

The Russian Federation, Republic Chuvashiya, Cheboksary

Chuvashiya State University

http://www.wuala.com/snik7000/Документы/PostmanProjecENGV0.67.pdf/

http://www.wuala.com/snik7000/Документы/postman2011v107.rar/

http://www.wuala.com/snik7000/Документы/literature.rar/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37628841/PostmanProjecENGV0.67.pdf

Welcome to hypography, Greenray! :)

Your whole scheme appears to be for a reactionless drive. Except for some hypothetical cases not considered in your paper, these are considered impossible according to all credible scientific theory, primarily because reactionless drives by definition violate the law of conservation of momentum.

Your main misconception seems to be that electromagnetic fields can be created in a conventional way, such as by an electric current a superconducting material, then expelling the magnetic field as a kind of reaction mass (what you term “working substance”). Magnetic fields have zero mass, however, so can’t be used in this way.

If I may ask, Greenray, have you studied physics in school? Though the first pages of you paper show that you’ve read about spaceflight, your ideas suggest to me a lack of understanding of the material that a good high school or first year college physics class would covers. If you’ve not had this education, I strongly recommend that your do. I and others here at hypography will be glad to help.

Thanks, but I am do no think so.

1. When Isaak Newton has opened the moment low. he do not now about

Soils, electricity, fields, radiation. speed of light And he can not write about this in his

Low . He only now about change mass and speed in simple mechanics.

For example electric motor, solar sails? Where the change mass?

I think that we have not understanding and illusion in many cases.

I wrights about on my Russian language Article paige25

Теоретические камни преткновения с текущими представлениями существующими в современной Физике.

2. Will such a construction be a a closed system or an open one? If is fields and radiation?

3. Where energy of electric source and fields will be gone?

If you reed more you can see in Engish another ideas:

Paige 44 6 Cycle ionic engines.

Paige 45 4.3.1 General questions of creation of the structured electromagnetic fields. Hypothetical elemental base for their reception and designing. The generator of the enclosed in each other structured fields.

What can you say about it? It is learn in school?

I am looking for the new ways of increase speed limit of spaceships.

Because we can not take mass and drop it in to space. We are looking new ways for the spaceships. We need spaceship like «Solar bird» suitable for scale development of solar system.

We must to look at new ideas on experience.

Sorry my English. Best regards Greenray

Welcome to hypography, Greenray! :)

Your whole scheme appears to be for a reactionless drive. Except for some hypothetical cases not considered in your paper, these are considered impossible according to all credible scientific theory, primarily because reactionless drives by definition violate the law of conservation of momentum.

Thanks, but I am do no think so.

1. When Isaak Newton has opened the moment low. he do not now about

Soils, electricity, fields, radiation. speed of light And he can not write about this in his

Low . He only now about change mass and speed in simple mechanics.

Although you are correct that Newton didn’t know what we now do about electromagnetism, his laws of motion, when adjusted for changes in mass as described in special relativity, remain valid for large (macroscopic) bodies.

For example electric motor, solar sails? Where the change mass?

An electric motor uses a magnetic field to apply a force between an object fixed to a larger body (the stator, usually attached to the Earth) and one attached to a smaller body (the rotor, attached to something you want to move). The force accelerates the smaller body, and in accordance with the laws of motion, the larger body also, in an opposite direction, so that the momentum of the entire system remains constant. For example, if a linear electric motor accelerates a 1000 kg elevator vertically to a speed of 1 m/s, the [imath] 5.974 \times 10^{24}\,\mbox{kg}[/imath] Earth is accelerated by [imath]1 \,\mbox{m/s} \frac{1000}{5.974 \times 10^{24}} \dot= 1.674\times 10^{-22} \,\mbox{m/s}[/imath], a tiny amount, in the opposite direction.

In this example, the elevator car is the rocket, the Earth its reaction mass.

A solar sail reflects photons. The momenta of the photons are changed (if the sail is directly facing the Sun, by reversing their direction) and the momentum of the sail is changed by exactly the opposite amount. Solar sail pushed spacecraft don’t need to carry their reaction mass, because they get it from the Sun, nor do they need to use energy to perform physical work, but they still obey the laws of motion.

If you know enough quantum physics to know that the magnetic force is carried by photons, it’s easy to become confused thinking that these photons, like those that carry light, also have momentum, so could be used as reaction mass in a rocket. These photons are virtual, however, which mean, in essence, they don’t exist except then they transfer momentum between charged particles. I’m not sure you were confused by this aspect of quantum physics, Greenray, but you seem to have reached the same misconception: that a magnetic field has real mass, so could be used to propel a rocket.

I am looking for the new ways of increase speed limit of spaceships.

Because we can not take mass and drop it in to space. We are looking new ways for the spaceships.

The idea of increasing the speed of a spaceship by not having it carry its reaction mass is a pretty old, having been explored in the form of solar sails in the early 1920s by Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, the same Russian rocket scientist who worked out, in the 1890s, the rocket equation, and even earlier, by Kepler, who, noticing that the tails of comets’ tails always point away from the Sun, though exactly calculating of the momentum of photons wasn’t known until Einstein described it in the theory or relativity. The NASA science news article A Brief History of Solar Sails has a good summary of this.

The main problem with solar sails is that the force exerted on them by sunlight decreases as the square of their distance from the Sun. For example, a solar sail pushed spacecraft near the orbit of Mars has about 43% the acceleration of one near Earth’s orbit, one near Jupiter’s orbit has about 4%, beyond Uranus’s, less than 0.3%. They’re essentially worthless for travel beyond the solar system.

This shortcoming, however, can be overcome by pushing the sail not with natural sunlight, but with artificially beamed light. This page has some diagrams of beam-pushed lightsails designed in the 1970s and ‘80s by Robert Forward.

We need spaceship like «Solar bird» suitable for scale development of solar system.

The spacecraft you’ve drawn and described in your papers, Greenway, won’t work according to the known laws of nature, nor any experimental evidence.

I believe you need to better understand ordinary physics and rocket engineering before putting more effort into your ideas. Working on schemes that are obviously wrong to anyone with a moderate understanding of physics is a waste of your time.

Certainly we know Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

It is classics. On the basis of this equation were to build the first spaceships. It was very COOL! But it is Results what:

Modern mid-flight rocket engines use chemical fuel to create the energy and to transform it into movement. It imposes essential restrictions on a number of characteristics of space vehicles (SV) such as: general energy storage (it is limited by the energy of chemical reaction),engine operating time (is limited to a stock of working substance),sv speed limit (is limited by the speed of the outflow of fuel), the mass of the payload makes about 5 % of the starting SV weight. The big restrictions on SV weight lead to the limited strength of the construction and impossibility to reuse the boost SV block.

But now it is not enough for the wide development of solar system by people, аnd working out of SVs capable to reach other stars. I am think we must look new principles of work and equation of spaceships engines.

I think that the new equation should look approximately so.

Current(I)----El.MgneticField B ()-----КineticEnergy(K)+radiation(Ei)

Look in article.

If find way to bild the design which will embody this principle. We will have new level of spaceships.

Energy and capacity of such engines in the presence of the corresponding generator of the electric power will surpass engines on significantly chemical fuel. Time of work of engines will increase significantly the between weight of a payload and weight of the space vehicle with fuel will improve. Theoretically achievable speed is comparable with a velocity of light (i.e. with speed of distribution of a field). Also fast operated change of a vector of draught in a direction and capacity is probable. During flights in atmosphere the flight has a smoothly adjustable speed and is almost silent. High efficiency. Range of flight of space vehicles will increase significantly. The large supply on weight and traction effort will allow to create strong designs capable for long and almost continuous service.

That it is Task 1.

Similar principle of work at the elementary photon engine

Electric current source---( (Current(I)+ Electric bulb)= photons+ Mirror)--- Kinetic Energy(K)+radiation(Ei)

But photon engine have low efficiency.

And I am think that We can use a magnetic field for get new decision.

And we do not need droop mass in to the space. Transformation of energy of fields into kinetic energy is possible there is enough. (Never was mass of field in my article!!!)

We must to search new decision. May be not EDIP, may be others.

But if parameters new spaceships are similar to parameters "Solar bird" it will allow the development of solar system by people. And also there is a possibility of working out of spaceships capable to reach other stars.

Certainly we know Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

It is classics. On the basis of this equation were to build the first spaceships. It was very COOL! But it is Results what:

Modern mid-flight rocket engines use chemical fuel to create the energy and to transform it into movement.

The rocket equation applies to non-chemical fuel rockets, such as ion thrusters. With a simple relativistic adjustment, it applies to rocket with any possible exhaust speed.

It imposes essential restrictions on a number of characteristics of space vehicles (SV) such as: general energy storage (it is limited by the energy of chemical reaction), engine operating time (is limited to a stock of working substance) ...

You are correct in assuming the definition of “rocket” underlying the rocket equation is that the vehicle carry their reaction mass (“working substance”).

You’re technically incorrect, however, assuming that the vehicle must carry the energy needed to accelerate its reaction mass. A rocket can get that energy externally, such as via an electric cord, or more practically, via a laser beam that heats the reaction mass to accelerate it (“Beam-powered propulsion”).

As I’ve mentioned already, and will describe more later in this post, while no longer a rocket as described by the rocket equation, a spacecraft that neither carries its energy supply nor its reaction mass is possible.

... sv speed limit (is limited by the speed of the outflow of fuel), the mass of the payload makes about 5 % of the starting SV weight. The big restrictions on SV weight lead to the limited strength of the construction and impossibility to reuse the boost SV block.

Let’s go ahead and write the rocket equation, rather than just mentioning it:

[math]\Delta v = v_\text{e} \ln \frac {m_0} {m_1}[/math]

From this, we can see that a rocket with a sufficiently large effective exhaust velocity [imath]v_\text{e}[/imath] can have as great a change in velocity [imath]\Delta v[/imath] as desired given as small a starting/ending mass ratio [imath]\frac{m_0} {m_1}[/imath] as desired.

Therefore, there’s nothing in principle limited about rockets’ [imath]\Delta v[/imath], or their reusability. The limits that result in what we see in rockets from the 1940s to present day – multiple stages and very high [imath]\frac{m_0} {m_1}[/imath] – is due to practical limitations on their [imath]v_\text{e}[/imath]. This is a difficult limitation to overcome, toward which many decades of the best engineers have made only slight headway.

Since the power (work/time) requirements increases by about [imath]v_\text{e}^2[/imath] (ie: increasing [imath]v_\text{e}[/imath] by a factor of 2 requires increasing power by a factor of 4), worse for [imath]v_\text{e}[/imath] that are appreciable fractions of the speed of light, the needed [imath]v_\text{e}[/imath] increase requires much higher energy-density than present day fuels can provide.

The highest possible energy density fuel is equal masses of antimatter and matter. Antimatter fuel would be a wonderful rocket fuel, but doesn’t occur in useful quantities in nature, and is very, very difficult and expensive to manufacture.

But now it is not enough for the wide development of solar system by people, аnd working out of SVs capable to reach other stars. I am think we must look new principles of work and equation of spaceships engines.

I think the existing equations of physics are adequate to describe spaceship engines. I certainly think we should not spend time on systems that can be shown to theoretically impossible, which no experiment has even hinted might be possible.

What’s needed, I think, is a radical, fundamental rethinking of a spaceship as a system consisting not of only the vehicle, but including a complex of much larger, more energetic machines that are not accelerated, in which the Sun, and eventually, other stars, are the primary power supplies.

I think the most feasible such system is the powered lightsail. This is essentially a solar sail, pushed not by natural sunlight, but by a very large artificial light source (usually a laser), focused and aimed by a very large lens (usually a Fresnel zone lense). This webpage has a pretty good illustration of such a system, as envisioned decades ago by Robert Forward.

The difficulty in realizing this rethinking of spacecraft is that it involves many, many times the space engineering, and accompanying expense, of present day spacecraft. A present day spacecraft mission is analogous in concept and cost to building and equipping a wagon to travel across a continent. Building a laser lightsail system is analogous to building a railroad to cross a continent. It costs much more to build, but once done, travel is much faster and easier.

About an electrical supply source.

http://ria.ru/science/20110524/378957812.html

ЦЕНТР УПРАВЛЕНИЯ ПОЛЕТАМИ, 24 мая - РИА Новости. Промежуточный этап проекта создания энергетической ядерной установки мегаваттного класса для космического корабля будущего, разрабатываемого Центром имени Келдыша совместно с РКК "Энергия" планируется рассмотреть в конце мая, сообщил журналистам заместитель руководителя Роскосмоса статс-секретарь Виталий Давыдов.

It will seems to me that such electrical supply source the optimal at modern level of technologies.

It is necessary to establish their three on the spaceship for reservation on capacity and reliability.

Ionic engines ( Ion thruster ) seem the most suitable for these purposes.

Existing ionic engines have very small specific impulse. In the article on page 44 I have put forward a hypothesis about that as it is possible to improve ionic engines

Cycle ionic engines

One of interesting decisions allowing to receive bunches of ions with

speeds comparable with the velocity of light is the use of synchrotrons or synchrophasotrons. The engine block diagram is given in drawing 22 for the dispersal of ions of synchrophasotrons of variable radius is used. Ions turn out by means of radio of ionization of working substance arriving in the ionizer from a tank, then the dosed out portion of working substance arrives to a corresponding cyclotron and is dispersed till the speeds close to the speed limits. Then portions of ions arrive to the adder where they are more dispersed at the expense of step compression of bunches by the magnetic field. Then the dispersed portions of ions from several boost chambers arrive to magnetic or superconducting nozzle creating jet draught. Portions of ions arrive in pieces, what cyclically allows to make assemblage of a continuous vector of draught

But for flights to other stars it is necessary to solve the TASK 1. And to find a way to construct on engines not using working substance.

Therefore we should search and investigate new principles of work of engines. We should start to think and do not only repeat books.

If hypotheses we show the validity in practice we will write new books

and theories. Even if one of ten hypotheses will work it will be a great step forward. We should go forward. Almost all that we see around was in past theoretically impossible.

In my article I have allocated four new directions of researches

1. TASK 1 ----EDIP-- Transformation of energy of fields into kinetic energy of movement of a body in space. Page 3-40

2. Cycle ionic engines Page 44

3.General questions of creation of the structured electromagnetic fields. Hypothetical elemental base for their reception and designing. The generator of the enclosed in each other structured fields. Coils having a similar to DNA structure. Page 45

4. Podkletnov’s experiments on gravitation distortion. Hypothetical improvements. Installation for repeated quantization of the magnetic stream. Page 50

It seems to me if by the spaceship there is a sufficient source of the electric power on it better to put the photon engine.

It will allow to receive the maneuverable ship capable to fly in different directions from sun and to change a trajectory of movement depending on external factors.

But it seems to me that the idea offered by you can be applied to transportation of the big weights for example ore or energy. Where

Installation of stations of reception and sending of cargoes is possible and there is no necessity to change a movement line. And also where energy of the sun is sufficient is great.

It would be very rational

Did anyone consider confined plasma propulsion or magnetic sails? Using a magnetic field to confine a diffuse plasma can not only be much bigger than a material solar sail, it gets bigger as it gets further away from the sun which negates some of the problems with the material sail only being one size.