Science Forums

Will Israel Have A Choice

Deepwater6

There is very little decency in Western policy lately and there is nothing more important than decency in foreign relations. War's start because of lack of decency, and the situation to me looks very gloomy.

Obama's reelection should hold off the hawks for a bit.

Politicians seem to be more like salespeople who have fallen for their own pitches and have forgotten why they contrived those pitches in the first place. Thats why the war on drugs died a hasty death and Afghanistan is the top global opium producer with many thousands of tons per year for the past 6 years or so.

The real failure of policy is that of only extending the rights and liberties, given under their respective constitutions, to citizens and non citizens alike within their national boundaries and then treat those same rights and liberties with contempt outside of their respective national borders. Summary execution by drone or as collateral to a drone strike is considered an acceptable and necessary risk for 'protection' against terrorism for any human who lives outside US borders for everybody, not just US citizens, without recourse to anybody.

I wonder if the Isreali politicians are aware of how close the Ghaza strip situation mirrors the Warsaw ghetto? The pattern seems to be pretty solid now, (1) someone sets off along the path to peace (2) some politician incites a reaction that results in (3) Palestinian protests and (4) subsequent deaths and (5) many years of 20:1 retaliation with high civilian casualties on both sides. I really can't find it in me to condone a process that will eventually lead to a genocide just because the people being bullied fight back whenever they had been incited, whether they be Palestinian or Iranian ot their representatives

Israeli politicians are probably coming to the realisation that comparing Egypt, Libya, Iraq and Syria 15 years ago and today the neo 'arab spring' is going to dawn in a way where a national border made of agreeable neighbours treated on an equal footing would be a much better defense than any wall.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/israel-ordered-iran-strike-preparations-2010-report/story?id=17643404

I read an article similar to this one about how the military refused to listen to the order from Netanyahu to put attack aircraft one step away from launch just last week. It's unclear if these stories are leaked as a rouse or if there really is a divided leadership in Israel.

• 2 weeks later...

Obama's reelection should hold off the hawks for a bit.

I hope so. Europe is mess. The founders ran away from there with a good reason. Europe is the cradle of singlemindedness. And now with Germans running the show, global situation is in danger.

:rotfl:

The real failure of policy is that of only extending the rights and liberties, given under their respective constitutions, to citizens and non citizens alike within their national boundaries and then treat those same rights and liberties with contempt outside of their respective national borders.

Yup that's bad politics, mostly border disputes. In other words, self determination of a people is rarely in question, since everyone wants to at least be perceived democratic. But nations militarily enforce borders which conflict with the will of the people within the borders. It has not happened yet where a referendum for independence was held county-wise and borders enforced based on those votes and those voting units. The decisions are not fact based but politically imposed. That's lack of decency.

I wonder if the Isreali politicians are aware of how close the Ghaza strip situation mirrors the Warsaw ghetto?

They do and they do not care. Edited by lawcat

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I too agree with others that Iran would be less likely to go nuclear than North Korea, which is geared totally towards warfare and military might. Let's hope that neither does as it's hard typing posts on a melted computer (Sorry to add a lighter note but it is the taking of things too seriously that leads to conflict, not laughing at them*).

* The Bedford Incident, a film starring Sidney Poitier and Richard Widmark, where the man in charge pushes those under his command too hard and they end up reacting and making a fatal (nuclear) mistake.