Science Forums

Near Earth Objects

Deepwater6

April  10,  2017

Deepwater 6 Comment April 10, 2017 :  I believe I have heard that no known asteroid has a projected impact path for the next 100 years.          

Conversation Related:   Key issue relating to "unknown"  of possible "asteroid strike"  is of course possibility of  a planet Jupiter "slingshot" effect of an asteroid caught in its hugh gravitational pull, and then swing it toward earth.  It has happened in the past, perhaps not  often, but  not enough is known if the asteroid that created the Chesapeake Bay 20 millions years ago, or the Astroid that created Gulf Of  Mexico  earlier,triggering rise of mammals (eventually humans),  came from such  a "slingshot" effect of Jupiter ?

Moral of this Story:   NASA Astroid Redirect 2017 + and Return to the Moon must use this "unknown" to save humanity from a possible catastrophy, may be not tomorrow, or even in 100 years, but sooner or later .

Comments  on this sidetrack issue ?

My Intro:

linkedin.com/cafetwin

I get a 'page not found' on your linkedin address. :( Welcome aboard in any case. :hi:

On the rest, I don't think you have sidetracked. Indeed the 'unknowns', given the known past impacts, is the reason for concern. I think the relatively recent efforts by NASA et al to catalog potential impactors reflects an acknowledgment of the concern, as well as the planning underway to respond in the event of the discovery of a 'coming right for us' object. Whether slingshot or not, it's certainly a possibility a kill shot rock may be discovered too late to do anything but duck-and-cover and hope for the best. :o

Topic 01: Sidetrack to introduce myself as I am a new person here with my first post.

On my linkedin intro, linkedin.com/cafetwin, I usually put linkedin.com/cafetwin on my Google browser, that immediately gets my name, Avi Dey/linkedin as the first item, which is my linkedin intro.

Topic 02:  Astroid threat jupiter 2017 +   (on Slideshare.com)

https://www.slideshare.net/icptwin45/astroid-threat-jupiter-2017  

Over my concern for safety of humanity due to an unexpected asteroid strike, I just created this brief slideshare presentation as a public service announcement (PSA).  Hope this adds clarity to what needs to be done with NASA's  leadership and eventually an international participation as they so choose going forward. 

Last I saw , NASA has selected 4 prime contractors (2016) , 3 are very large aerospace companies, and one national lab located in California.

Only small company as prime contractor is based here in Fairfax, VA , called Orbital. I hope to find a way to connect to this effort via "international virtual teaming" if possible in future, via Orbital, and the National Lab NASA Primes in future if others are also interested in contributing their skills and talents as possible going forward from now , 2017 ++ .

Also would anyone know of a website that can simulate known trajectories of past/current/future NEO's in relation to Earth?

If you know the calculus solution sets, or rather the operations in general, than wolfram alpha's mathematica should do just fine. 

However, you still would need to know the astronomy. For that you either need access to those logs (you can find almost anything that isn't a matter of national security online) or some high tech telescope along with some serious sky-charting acumen and you'd have to locate it yourself. Which amateurs such as you or me did in the first article. 

Maybe there's some imminent danger they'd be instructed by HLS not to disclose, so we need people like this finding these NEO asteroids and mapping their paths. Then again, people like that, like me, are generally paranoid and that gets in the way of objectivity sometimes. 

Edited by Super Polymath

I agree SP, at some point given the amount of lead time and size, government officials must make the decision not to tell us. Several factors would play into that, but if you told a city like Atlanta or New York that an asteroid was going to hit somewhere in their city 5hrs from now could you imagine the injuries, and possible fatalities of people trying to evacuate the area? It would be pure chaos.

If the asteroid were to break up when it hits our atmosphere then many would say officials shouldn't have called for an evacuation. If it turns out to be an event similar to the Chelyabinsk event a few years ago, although scary, it wouldn't merit the evacuation of an entire large city. At least that's IMHO. If you evacuate for something similar you may very well cause too much unnecessary panic. We may end up doing more damage to ourselves in the race to get away than that big pebble in the sky would ever have done.

Just out of curiosity Turtle, how did you attach the caped crusader on the back of that bird?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmXyJrs7iU

... Just out of curiosity Turtle, how did you attach the caped crusader on the back of that bird?

Erhm, the 'caped crusader' is Batman. :bat: I used a high speed camera to capture the image of the Man of Steel. I believe he mounted the Woodpecker by using his super speed to create a phase shift-hole which allowed him to both transport and resize. Notice how Superman is not in color? This is because he just mounted and the phase shift is not complete in the hyper-dimensional light spectral distribution of the anionic decoupled Higgs field.

Similarly, Superman can create shift-holes to divert PHAs -and comets- before they impact and  obliterate us. Rather than attach directly to the incoming rock (as many contain Kryptonite), or Jupiter  as clubtwinfairfaxva suggested, (Jupiter also contains Kryptonite from asteroids it has collected) Superman is mostly likely to open a phase-shift-hole, enlarge himself, and then mount Uranus and guide the deadly projectile harmlessly aside using the sling-shot technique . (Uranus does collect Kryptonite, but it is quickly neutralized via the sub-transfinite cyto-primulan channel. (Clark et al 2011) )

Erhm, the 'caped crusader' is Batman. :bat: I used a high speed camera to capture the image of the Man of Steel. I believe he mounted the Woodpecker by using his super speed to create a phase shift-hole which allowed him to both transport and resize. Notice how Superman is not in color? This is because he just mounted and the phase shift is not complete in the hyper-dimensional light spectral distribution of the anionic decoupled Higgs field.

Similarly, Superman can create shift-holes to divert PHAs -and comets- before they impact and  obliterate us. Rather than attach directly to the incoming rock (as many contain Kryptonite), or Jupiter  as clubtwinfairfaxva suggested, (Jupiter also contains Kryptonite from asteroids it has collected) Superman is mostly likely to open a phase-shift-hole, enlarge himself, and then mount Uranus and guide the deadly projectile harmlessly aside using the sling-shot technique . (Uranus does collect Kryptonite, but it is quickly neutralized via the sub-transfinite cyto-primulan channel. (Clark et al 2011) )

*used photoshop

On the humorous side, a list. :hammer:

PHA Close Approaches To The Earth @ International Astronomical Union Minor Planet Center

The following table lists the predicted encounters by Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) to within 0.05 AU of the earth from the start of this year through 2178. Objects with very uncertain orbits are excluded from this listing, as are recently discovered objects whose orbits have been computed without consideration of planetary perturbations. The distances quoted are from the nominal orbit solutions in the cited references and can be quite uncertain, particularly for one-opposition objects. Perturbed orbital solutions consider perturbations by eight major planets (Mercury to Neptune), three minor planets (Ceres, Pallas and Vesta) and treat the earth and the moon as separate perturbing bodies. For comparison, the mean distance of the moon is 0.0026 AU = 384400 km = 238900 miles. (1 AU is approximately the mean distance of the earth from the sun = 149597870 km = 92955810 miles.)

• 1 month later...

http://www.space.com/37118-earth-faces-an-increased-risk-of-being-hit-by-an-asteroid-astronomers-warn.html

It looks like there is a possibility we may get a little more than a light show this year, compliments of Comet Encke and a little help from Jup. It's been quiet on the NEO front lately, at least I haven't seen any articles about close calls through the neighborhood.

http://www.space.com/37118-earth-faces-an-increased-risk-of-being-hit-by-an-asteroid-astronomers-warn.html

It looks like there is a possibility we may get a little more than a light show this year, compliments of Comet Encke and a little help from Jup. It's been quiet on the NEO front lately, at least I haven't seen any articles about close calls through the neighborhood.

Quiet before the storm? :lol:

Did you see the PBS/NOVA show on the Russia impact? Here's a link: >> Meteor Strike

• 1 month later...

Deepwater et al. New asteroid-headed-for-earth show starting tonight on CBS. It's coming right for us!! :omg:

Salvation @ CBS

About Salvation

Salvation is a suspense thriller that centers on a staggering discovery: an enormous asteroid is just six months away from colliding with Earth. Without alerting the public, MIT grad student Liam Cole and tech billionaire Darius Tanz team up to save humanity from this impending apocalypse. Keeping it secret will complicate life for Liam and those closest to him. Meanwhile, the government has its own approach. Grace Barrows is both the Pentagon Press Secretary and a single mom, and she deftly navigates the complicated waters of both jobs. Deputy Secretary of Defense Harris Edwards has been tasked with running their own top-secret plan to deflect the asteroid. Meanwhile, Darius recruits an aspiring sci-fi writer, Jillian, to work on a theoretical approach to saving humanity—a project that might prove to be all too real. Salvation stars Santiago Cabrera, Jennifer Finnigan, Charlie Rowe, Jacqueline Byers, Rachel Drance, Shazi Raja, and Ian Anthony Dale.

Thanks guys, LA-G I looked at the link, but couldn't determine what particular part of the ISS that will re-enter. It's probably there and I'm missing it because I'm old and losing my mind, but I would think it's an old module?? either one that has been up there too long or has some other issues with it???

Yes Turtle, I saw the NOVA special, thank the universe and Vodka for Russian dash cams.

I have Salvation ready to record. I have to get up early for work so I usually pack it in early, but I'll catch up on them come the weekend. I hope it's close to believable though. It ruins the mood when they say the asteroid came in and was the result of a collision that occurred on the other side of the galaxy....3 days ago.

Yes Turtle, I saw the NOVA special, thank the universe and Vodka for Russian dash cams.

I have Salvation ready to record. I have to get up early for work so I usually pack it in early, but I'll catch up on them come the weekend. I hope it's close to believable though. It ruins the mood when they say the asteroid came in and was the result of a collision that occurred on the other side of the galaxy....3 days ago.

:lol: Those Rooskies are a caution. Bless their hearts.

Roger looking for believability. Certainly looks like they are covering some of our bases though; vis a vis to tell or not to tell. Watched a Stargate SG1 episode last week where the asteroid was actually sent in by the Goauld(sp) and filled with naqueda(sp). Fortunately the team landed on it and used their ship to put a hyperdrive bubble around it and passed through Earth harmlessly. Bless the SG1 team's hearts too. :alien_dance:

Thanks guys, LA-G I looked at the link, but couldn't determine what particular part of the ISS that will re-enter. It's probably there and I'm missing it because I'm old and losing my mind, but I would think it's an old module?? either one that has been up there too long or has some other issues with it???

Hey Deepwater6, I just had a look at the link and the eta is now Jan 12 and the location is over the Solomon Islands in the Pacific. Apparently ISS DEB is part of a fabric shield lost recently so I wouldn't expect much of a light show or reentry for that matter.

Here's the main SatView Page, it's based in Brazil and I haven't been able to find an English version. Note that as well as the options to track Tiangong 1 and the Hubble Telescope there are other links at the bottom of the graphic after 'Main Menu' including 'Space Junk list' and a historic satellite tracker.

http://www.satview.org/?sat_id=25544U

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I found this article on different summer meteor showers if you're interested in that kind of thing. I use a free app on my cell phone called "Skyveiw" to locate the spots in the sky I want to look at. This app will also show you/locate and name different galaxies, nebulae, constellations, and stars for you. Saw a few SS's last night, but couldn't stay out too long, the sqeeuters were everywhere and ravenous.  :oh_really: I need to start putting food out to attract more skeeter eating birds. Any recommendations?

https://www.space.com/37665-meteor-showers-summer-2017-skywatching.html