Science Forums

Near Earth Objects

Deepwater6

http://www.space.com...by-1998qe2.html

The latest story of a fly by I could find. There is also another quiz imbedded in the article. On the quiz advertisement front page there is also a picture of one. I've seen it many times, but forget the name. In any case the middle section is so smooth and from a distance it almost looks machined compared to the rest of it. I'd love to know how that came about.

Perhaps that's an accumulation of sediments moving downhill from the bulbous extremities. Or if the body is spinning sufficiently, it's a scoured area where the material has moved outward from center due to centrifugal force. :shrug:

Here's a football-field-sized newbie from this month. (LD=Lunar Distances and that entry indicates how close it will get.) :clue:

Edited by Turtle

The solution date is after it passed Turtle, that's a very late catch.

Yes, but it's in the catalog now. If we get hit by surprise...well...**** happens. :shrug: You can use the same emergency kit you have prepared for tornado, hurricane, flood, volcano, tsunami, earthquake, disasters etcetera to who laid the chunk. Duck & cover & catch you on the flipside. :ebomb: :earth: :hi:

...Duck & cover & catch you on the flipside. :ebomb: :earth: :hi:

Yes butt, how low can you go? :read: :pain30:

Full article: >> Predicting an asteroid strike.

This

computer-generated image by Sandia National Laboratories' scientists shows the

impact of a 1-km comet (or asteroid) hitting in the open ocean. The comet and

300 to 500 cubic kilometers of ocean water would be vaporized nearly

instantaneously by the tremendous energy of the impact. The impact energy of

about 300 gigatons of TNT would be equivalent to about 10 times the explosive

power of all the nuclear weapons in existence in the 1960s at the height of the

Cold War.

The teraflops simulations employ "massively parallel computing," a computing approach pioneered by Sandia in the late 1980s. In massively parallel computing, thousands of discrete computing tasks are assigned to several hundred separate computing "processors" inside the supercomputer. The computing tasks are accomplished simultaneously and their results reassembled. All of today's high performance supercomputing employs a massively parallel approach.In the most recent 100-million-cell calculation, the teraflops used 8,192 of its 9,000 processors. The entire calculation lasted 18 hours. Sandia has done similar calculations on its high performance computers, including a 54-million-cell simulation of a comet striking the ocean. In 1994, Crawford and Sandia scientist Mark Boslough accurately simulated what would happen when Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 plunged into Jupiter's atmosphere. Months later, the world's astronomers watched the Sandia-predicted event unfold in real life through the Hubble space telescope.

Scary simulations Mr. T. That's why and against doctors orders, every night I enjoy a large bowl of my fav- Bryers mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I found this yesterday and meant to put it in this thread then but forgot. The old bean gets more forgetful everyday me thinks :wacko:

http://www.space.com/21197-moon-crash-meteor-impact-explosion.html

If the strike was on a tectonic plate boundary or a subduction zone you might even get a double whammy from the tsunami.

if it landed on the us congress, there would no loss of life. ;) or think if it hit rome!! that would make it an abdication zone and we'd need a new swami. :unsure: :P

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.space.com...arth-flyby.html

I love it, "We the geeks" and some other sites to spy this 2 mile wide boulder go whizzing by the Earth.

Make that a 2 mile boulder and her 2000 foot consort. :boy_hug: :girl_hug: :kiss:

May 30, 2013: Approaching asteroid 1998 QE2 has a moon.

Researchers found it in a sequence of radar images obtained by the 70-meter

Deep Space Network antenna at Goldstone, Calif., on the evening of May 29th

(May 30th Universal Time) when the asteroid was about 6 million kilometers from

Earth.

The preliminary estimate for the size of the asteroid's satellite is

approximately 600 meters wide. The asteroid itself is approximately 2.7

kilometers in diameter and has a rotation period of less than four hours.

Full Story: >> Approaching Asteroid Has Its Own Moon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.space.com...ve-webcast.html

They found this guy just a week ago. When the big one comes for us I hope we are aware at least a month ahead of time. I have acts of depraved, immoral, nefarious, unscrupulous, and wreckless debauchery I'd like to enjoy before it hits us. :P

List Of The Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) @ Minor Planet Center

Did some counting and 2013 NF19 is the 53rd new find this year.

I hope we get no warning because I don't want to spend my last days looking out for & speeding the departure of debauchers. :gun4: :P

• 1 month later...

http://www.space.com/22839-asteroid-earth-flyby-2013rz53.html

We have only known about this little pebble for a week. Too small by itself to do any damage, but if a larger one set its sights on Earth a weeks notice is long enough to do some serious debauchery. :woohoo: Possibly to live in a loose or wanton manner, rioting, public disorder, looting, protesting, and unrestrained revelry for a full week or so. :hi: :headbang: :headbang: :hi: :umno:

Edited by Deepwater6

Make it a year. I have similar plans [as Deepwater6 for acts of depraved, immoral, nefarious, unscrupulous, and wreckless [sic] debauchery] and a month just isn't enough time.

Your family must be very proud of you. :doh:

Meantime, comet ISON is being photographed by amateurs and professionals alike, and while it's not an NEO, it is a NMO. We can expect some close-ups from Mars orbiting craft in a few weeks. :photos:

Comet ISON @ Spaceweather .com

Observers of Comet ISON will notice that it is in the same part of the sky as Mars. The comet will make a close approach to the Red Planet on October 1st, and during that time Mars satellites will be taking ISON's picture at point blank range. Those images will likely rival or improve upon the view from Earth. Stay tuned to the Comet ISON Photo Gallery for updates from both planets.

Here's an interesting [relatively] new perspective on NEO's. :clue:

NEO Flyby Clock large PDF

Thumbnail: