Science Forums

Near Earth Objects

Deepwater6

http://www.space.com/19226-asteroid-apophis-gives-earth-a-close-shave-in-2029-infographic.html

If Apophis was determined by the calculations to hit us in 2029, I wonder how and when the governments of the world would move to act on it? Would they start working on it now, 10yrs from impact-(2019) 5yrs-(2024)?

It wouldn't be a total human extinction, but it wouldn't be pretty either. Would there even be time to kick the can down the road?

If Apophis was determined by the calculations to hit us in 2029, I wonder how and when the governments of the world would move to act on it? Would they start working on it now, 10yrs from impact-(2019) 5yrs-(2024)?

We will know more when we find out how much its orbit has been modified by its recent flyby of earth.

Ha, Ha, is that why the politicians are spending money like there was no tomorrow. Wishfull thinking lol.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.space.com/19432-close-approach-of-asteroid-2012-da14-fear-vs-fact-video.html

Whoa!! this one is close. Has there ever been a study on how NEO's achieve the velocity they do? Sling-shot around another object in space?, blown fast by a massive explosion? I understand there is very little drag from space but some these are moving 11 times faster than a bullet.

• 3 weeks later...

its been widely reported now that DA14 will miss the earth. not that it stops the doomsdayers and conspiracy theorists saying that this is exactly what NASA would say if an asteroid was going to hit us. but seeing as this is going to cross the orbit of a number of satellites do we know what are the chances of it hitting one of them or having a close shave? i guess the trajectory of the asteroid and the orbits of the satellites must be sufficiently well known for this to be calculable.

http://www.space.com/19432-close-approach-of-asteroid-2012-da14-fear-vs-fact-video.html

Whoa!! this one is close. Has there ever been a study on how NEO's achieve the velocity they do? Sling-shot around another object in space?, blown fast by a massive explosion? I understand there is very little drag from space but some these are moving 11 times faster than a bullet.

And how fast do you think the Earth is moving? 30 km/sec relative to the sun.

The NEO's velocity is residual velocity from the formation of the solar system, with adjustments - some positive, some negative - from gravitational interactions with other bodies, as you suggest.

And how fast do you think the Earth is moving? 30 km/sec relative to the sun.

The NEO's velocity is residual velocity from the formation of the solar system, with adjustments - some positive, some negative - from gravitational interactions with other bodies, as you suggest.

to expand on your astute reply eclogite, i found this bit. :read: (if i'm not mistaken, there is a theoretical speed limit to asteroids, but i don't have it.)

the full article lists orbital speeds of notable asteroids. >> How Fast Do Asteroids Travel?

...How Fast Do Asteroids Travel?

An asteroid has an average orbital speed (how fast an object orbits the sun) of 25 kilometers per second. However, asteroids orbiting closer to a sun will move faster than asteroids orbiting between Mars and Jupiter and beyond. The closest orbiting asteroid found so far is 2004 JG6 with an approximate orbital velocity of over 30 kilometers per second. It was discovered at the Lowell observatory on May 10, 2004.

An asteroid approaching earth is not as fast as presumed. Since asteroids orbit in the same direction around the sun as the earth does, they approach at a slow speed. When an asteroid approaches earth, it gets accelerated by the earth’s gravity and when it hits the atmosphere, various factors determine its speed, including the shape and size as well as air resistance. A smaller odd-shaped asteroid will fall slower through the air than a perfect spherical asteroid.

then there are the corkscrew asteroids like 2003 YN107 that orbit earth for years, then leave. :omg: !!

Corkscrew Asteroid

• 1 month later...

http://science.time....tury/?hpt=hp_t3

Keep your eyes open :blink: next November. This one may be something to see. Turtle I vaguely remember you discussing a camera on your telescope in another thread. Would it have the capability to get some pictures of this comet or would it just be a blur? :rolleyes:

hi deepwater6. i can't fathom [:doh:] how we could miss mentioning comet PAN-STARRS. it is now visible in the Northern Hemisphere. where's a good superstitionist when ya need one. :crazy:

due to cloudiness here and a poor view of the Western horizon in my neighborhood i have yet to photograph it myself. :kick:

here's a photo by Johnny Horne of the Fayetteville Observer:

@Yahoo News

http://l2.yimg.com/b...a7067002886.jpg

stories and photo gallery at Spaceweather.com. >> Comet PAN-STARRS Update, 3/18/13

i have consulted an orachole and discovered the comet was sling-shot by an enormous sentient smiley out side the foartt cloud. :eight: :earth: :slingshot:

Edited by Turtle

Hey Turtle - Not only did I miss posting this one, I missed it in the sky as well. There has been an inordinate number of dreary cloudy days here on the right coast too. It's enough to make a space junkie enter a state of seasonal depression. :(

But even on the very few clear nights I could not locate the rascal even with my binochs. :banghead: Looking low in the western horizon at dusk I can't seem to locate it. :angry: Got a great view of a moon sliver the night it was supposed to be near the moon that night but no Pannstar :clue: Looks like it's clearing this afternoon so I'll try again.

The recent events seem to have got the governments attention, see the link. Which I hope in turn will equate to more funds being allocated for our space exploration cause.

http://www.space.com/20084-dangerous-asteroids-russian-meteor-hearing.html

April 3, Comet Pan-STARRS will pass within a few degrees of the Andromeda Galaxy, making for a great photo opportunity for stargazers with telescopes. The comet and the galaxy will both shine at about 5th-magnitude on that date.

Astrophotographer Luis Argerich of Buenos Aires, Argentina, took this photo of Comet Pan-STARRS taken on March 2, 2013. He writes: "Easy to see with the naked eye from rural locations."

CREDIT: © Luis Argerich/Nightscape Photography

View full size imageComet's name

Telescope reminder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.space.com/21189-huge-asteroid-earth-flyby-1998qe2.html

The latest story of a fly by I could find. There is also another quiz imbedded in the article. On the quiz advertisement front page there is also a picture of one. I've seen it many times, but forget the name. In any case the middle section is so smooth and from a distance it almost looks machined compared to the rest of it. I'd love to know how that came about.