Science Forums

Supervolcanos And Geothermal Energy

belovelife

around 6 years ago, i suggested tapping into the caldera to get a core sample of the earth, by making 2 tunnels, one for pressure release one for access

while saving potentially millions of lives, we would also get a core the we could investigate scientifically

this evolved into setting up geo thermal lines in the chamber that the magma would go into, to produce geo thermal energy

believing this is possible (and probly getting many different types of crystals from this), why not do this to all volcanos, the theory is sound

geo thermal energy while preventing devistating natural disaters

B)

Assuming you are referring to Yellowstone Caldera, it would seem a bit questionable as to the safety of such an operation. To the best of my knowledge the YVO does have a core drilling in progress. This was chosen selectively, but also involves a great deal of care and the YVO jobs involve some hazard. Hydrothermal explosions occur at the park every few years and it is possible one could be extremely massive without much notice. Another concern is that the gas companies are wanting to frack in Wyoming now. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

yeah, frackin in the region would be really bad, might cause a fissure that would let the caldera erupt

really bad,

potentially kill millions of people

now controlled drillin, not so bad of an idea

IMHO

Maybe...

We need to see if there are any problems with the controlled drilling to obtain a core first, I would think. As of this moment some are still concerned about the safety of the park's caldera from erupting without any of our help.

i wonder where the fracking is goin on relative to this image

also, i wonder where the best spot is for a controlled core experiment

Cool! Am I interpretting this correct that the Caldera is the slightly lighter, small area in the center of that top surface with 2 lakes, pretty much in line with the entire volcanic mass? In the top plane are we looking at the projection of faults lines?

Edited by 7DSUSYstrings