Science Forums

About that tall freak

Ps2Huang

Bones can only fossilize after death. Do not take claims that something grows forever literally. It is possible to have diseases with abnormal bone growth, where bones grow more than usual, leading to deformities. The bone growth will stop at death in any case, because no cells can grow without nutrients.

So, yes, his bones may fossilize, if he should die, and the bones be preserved in such a manner as to favorize fossilization.

Getting fossilized is an event that is very improbable (but not impossible), so most likely most of us will not leave any fossil traces behind, but be recycled to the ecosystem in some way.

Bones can only fossilize after death. Do not take claims that something grows forever literally. It is possible to have diseases with abnormal bone growth, where bones grow more than usual, leading to deformities. The bone growth will stop at death in any case, because no cells can grow without nutrients.

So, yes, his bones may fossilize, if he should die, and the bones be preserved in such a manner as to favorize fossilization.

Getting fossilized is an event that is very improbable (but not impossible), so most likely most of us will not leave any fossil traces behind, but be recycled to the ecosystem in some way.

I meant because his bone-plates never got sealed up, so is that a why he continues to grow?

Sorry I misunderstood you..I usually think of fossilization as something that happens after death :)

I do not know the exact case you are referring to, but there are two disorders I know of that cause indeterminate growth: gigantism and acromegaly.

Both disorders are usually caused by endocrine disorders, leading to chronic exposure of growth hormone (GH).

Before the epiphyses closes, chronic exposure to GH will lead to gigantism, where proportions of the body is retained, and the person grows in height.

After the closure of epiphyses, continued chronic exposure to GH will lead to bones growing outwards, causing acromegalic gigantism

If the start of the chronic exposure to GH occurs after the closure of the epiphyses, only acromegaly will occur.

If the epiphyses do not close, I suspect that only gigantism will be the result.