Science Forums

Is Bible history fact or fiction?

eMTee

WOW!

This thread has reached to post #306 already, eh?

Guess what, folks... Oh, come on - you KNOW what's coming, don't you?

Yep, I'm shutting it down.

You've got about 12 hours to tie up your loose ends here, then the thread will be closed.

Don't despair though. We've got a whole lot of topics that could be started from questions posed in the past 25 posts alone. Take those questions, create some new topics, and run with them guys.

Enjoy!

Just to wrap things up, the Bible is not some past historical thing that can never be proven or disproven because the God in it no longer exists. Everything that was happening in the new testament after Jesus ascention is still happening today. All over the world there have been miracles and prophecies and visions that have come true. I've posted a few in the past few days, and there are hundreds of others I know of that I haven't posted. God doesn't come in parts, if you want to disprove His Biblical form, you must be able to disprove His present day form. He hasn't gone anywhere and He's doing even greater things today then He was then. So arguments that only apply to the past are irrelevent. It's like someone plants a seed and another person argues it can't grow into something bigger than it, and ten years later he's still saying the same thing. It just doesn't work.

Maybe someone here can straighten out a couple of thoughts that have bothered me about carbon dating; How do we know the half life of something which reaches well beyond any of our lifetimes? Also, since it takes so long for a radio-active element to decay, do we know for certain that it decays at a linear rate or do we just see a portion of the curve and think it is linear?

Maybe not enough time but I found this myself: "As assessment was made of the mass-spectrometer results in the recent NBS determination of the half life of carbon-14. Evidence is presented to show that the uncertainties due to effusive separation and the dependence of the sensitivity constant on the isotopic abundance of carbon-14 are small. It is proposed, however, to reduce the value of the half life of carbon-14 determined as 5745 plus or minus 50 years." - From the U.S. Dept. of Energy website

And this from http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele006.html :

Carbon-14, a radioactive isotope of carbon with a half-life of 5,730 years, is used to find the age of formerly living things through a process known as radiocarbon dating. The theory behind carbon dating is fairly simple. Scientists know that a small amount of naturally occurring carbon is carbon-14. Although carbon-14 decays into nitrogen-14 through beta decay, the amount of carbon-14 in the environment remains constant because new carbon-14 is always being created in the upper atmosphere by cosmic rays. Living things tend to ingest materials that contain carbon, so the percentage of carbon-14 within living things is the same as the percentage of carbon-14 in the environment (an assumption has to be made here since no one knows how much C-14 was available 2000 years ago, much less 10 or 100 thousand years ago - Skippy). Once an organism dies, the carbon-14 within that organism is no longer replaced and the percentage of carbon-14 begins to decrease as it decays. By measuring the percentage of carbon-14 in the remains of an organism, and by assuming that the natural abundance of carbon-14 has remained constant over time (see they even admit it - Skippy), scientists can estimate when that organism died. For example, if the concentration of carbon-14 in the remains of an organism is half of the natural concentration of carbon-14, a scientist would estimate that the organism died about 5,730 years ago, the half-life of carbon-14.

Before I close this thread, I want to ask a question to those that proclaim to be versed in Scripture. Answer it here, or start a new thread with it, I really don't care. But I think it seems very relevant.

As normally happens, it was brought to me when I most needed it. This time, it was in the form of a radio preacher with a 1 minute spot that I heard while going to pick nemo up from the train station.

I was, of course, thinking about Hypography, and THIS thread in particular. And then I heard the man's voice, and it took a bit for his words to sink in.

I want you guys to let the words sink in, and think about them. Google them if you must. But listen to them.

And then tell me if this thread could have ended any different than it's going to end, ok?

(Jude 1:22 KJV) And of some have compassion, making a difference.

Yes, we have digressed a bit in this thread.

But let's get back to the original question. You could actually do a poll on this.

I'd say the Bible is a case of Historical Fiction.

A case of bronze age Shakespeare, perhaps? Or maybe antique Agatha Christie...

I would have to say that the Bible is majoritally made up ie. Fiction. I think this because no historic story is 100% correct, maybe 90% but not 100%. The people who followed Jesus were as we call them " Followers", I believe Jesus was alive but I also believe that he told his followers stories that weren't possibly true. They believed that he was greatness itself, so in turn they believed him and the storied passed through the followers, if that makes sense!

These storied were then transferred to a book known as the Bible and that was passed through the generations until today and low and behold : We believe it!

We believe not what is true only what others percieve is true.

Jesus was alive, he did not do any amazing feat, the followers believed him and it passed through today. Simple.

If what I'm saying is true, then " Heaven " might not exist at all.

We all know through the knowledge of Physics, we can guess how the Universe started and how we formed on Earth, but if this is true then how could some force,spirit form what is today!

Do you agree with my points?

I would have to say that the Bible is majoritally made up ie. Fiction. I think this because no historic story is 100% correct, maybe 90% but not 100%. The people who followed Jesus were as we call them " Followers", I believe Jesus was alive but I also believe that he told his followers stories that weren't possibly true. They believed that he was greatness itself, so in turn they believed him and the storied passed through the followers, if that makes sense!

These storied were then transferred to a book known as the Bible and that was passed through the generations until today and low and behold : We believe it!

We believe not what is true only what others percieve is true.

Jesus was alive, he did not do any amazing feat, the followers believed him and it passed through today. Simple.

If what I'm saying is true, then " Heaven " might not exist at all.

We all know through the knowledge of Physics, we can guess how the Universe started and how we formed on Earth, but if this is true then how could some force,spirit form what is today!

Do you agree with my points?

No.