2 replies to this topic

#1 Farming guy

Farming guy

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

I've noticed a lot of new school buildings lately, and they all seem quite ornate to me. Are we spending our money wisely? Should we not be building our schools with simplicity in mind? It seems to me that we only need school buildings to be structuraly sound, safe, comfortable, energy efficient, and they should be designed to last over a hundered years with minimal maintainence. The money saved could then be better spent attracting and retaining quality teachers.

Am I wrong? I would like to know.

#2 pljames

pljames

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Farming,
I agree with evey word you just said. But the problem is money and greed and power. To many school boards rule the roost and run it (thier way)! The students lose Paul

I've noticed a lot of new school buildings lately, and they all seem quite ornate to me. Are we spending our money wisely? Should we not be building our schools with simplicity in mind? It seems to me that we only need school buildings to be structuraly sound, safe, comfortable, energy efficient, and they should be designed to last over a hundered years with minimal maintainence. The money saved could then be better spent attracting and retaining quality teachers.

Am I wrong? I would like to know.

#3 Gregb

Gregb

Questioning

• Administrators
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Most public schools in my city are pretty drab and utilitarian. I see your point, but good architecture can inspire and open the mind. We don't want to have Soviet style buildings now do we? Where do you live?