Science Forums

Acid Mine Drainage Remediation Using Coal Combustion Products (ash)

Rexy

Has anyone experience in this topic?

i am undertaking an honors project of the same title as part of my B. Civil and Enviro Engineering Degree

i have built myself a reasonable bibliography but would appreciate a contact that i could discuss particular things with.

My aim is to eventually support a technique whereby leached ash is

a, incorporated into disposal of mine spoil -soil amendment- to provide alkalinity to the soil (inferior coal, interseam deposits and overburden)and allow metal precipitates to be caught,

b, used in design of a 'reactive barrier', so that acidic waters are percolated through the ash, reacting (hydrolysis, oxidation and adsorption) and containing the metal ions.

i am researching at the minute to consider the general mechanism behind each outcome. i have yet to compile the specific chemical composition of each material but that information is available.

- lignite (brown coal) in Australia. as far as i can tell at this stage my largest problem will be and [Na-] in the process waters

Anyones opinions, questions, suggestions on this will help me.

Advice/ Experience will be greatly appreciated.

Rex