Science Forums

Testing A New Content Portal

Tormod

Hey everyone,

I am trying to re-establish a new front page for our science forums, where we can post news and articles which become more visible and accessible for readers. Today's solution is hard to find in the forum structure.

Can you please head over to this section:

http://scienceforums.com/index.php?app=ccs

and let me know what you think? I posted some example news items before Christmas but didn't have time any more time to spend on it then.

I also need more people to help with publishing content form science sources like Eurekalert.org and university sites etc. Please let me know if you can help out.

Hey everyone,

I am trying to re-establish a new front page for our science forums, where we can post news and articles which become more visible and accessible for readers. Today's solution is hard to find in the forum structure.

http://scienceforums...dex.php?app=ccs

and let me know what you think? I posted some example news items before Christmas but didn't have time any more time to spend on it then.

I also need more people to help with publishing content form science sources like Eurekalert.org and university sites etc. Please let me know if you can help out.

Looks great!

A bit (advertisement) about the forums somewhere maybe? Link?

I am always coming across interesting but not necessarily new science and post them here (just did that at language forum)

I think others do that a lot too. however some are not necessarily "New News". although some are quite important in our development of understanding of a concept or idea.

Recently enrolled in PG program and while I find a lot of the stuff riveting; i am not sure how many others would

Hey everyone,

http://scienceforums...dex.php?app=ccs

I've always been more of a dig into the meat kind of person, rather than a fan of a landing page. I never visit the homepage unless I type in the address manually and then quickly click on the forums button. Maybe it's just me? :shrug:

Anyway, keeping the news flowing is imperative. I like how the new forum software puts the news below the most recent posts. Yet, there are certain aspects of vB that I miss. Nothing critical though.

Unfortunately, I've been a full time blogger for a couple clients and I abhor it. The thought of going to Eurekalert makes my blood curdle. I'll have to pass on being a news publisher for right now. I'm making a concerted effort to make more of a presence here though. :)

I've always been more of a dig into the meat kind of person, rather than a fan of a landing page. I never visit the homepage unless I type in the address manually and then quickly click on the forums button. Maybe it's just me? :shrug:

No, I think this is important. Most people probably just want to find forums.

I guess the top tasks here at the forums could something like this (random order):

- check what's new since I visited

- check replies to my own posts

- read topics of interest

- kill time (ie, just browsing without any specific reason, couch surfing)

- learn something new

- share something I found (video, link, book title)

- post something I want to discuss

- browse the forums to learn about this site

None of these top tasks imply a need for a "news" portal, but I am merely trying out the features that are built into IPB. If we can make the portal page reflect upon the top tasks, then people could check back on that page and see if things have changed since last visit. Somewhat like our old portal page but more focused.

I think a possible starting point could be:

- Latest shared news

- Latest topics

- Discussions with no replies

- Editorial highlights (topics or content which is hand-picked by any of our editorial staff)

- Cool images and videos

All content on the front page should lead to somewhere I can discuss or comment on what I see, sort of like a blog front page.

It must be easy to share content so that something is updated on the front page, or else there is no reason for people to help us keep it updated.

So basically I want the front page to reflect on what's interesting for the community, not for the news publisher who basically just pulls random stories.

Ideas? Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

http://scienceforums.com/index.php?app=ccs

I love it. Rather than having to search the forums for topics of interest, this makes things much quicker and the topics are really fascinating.