Science Forums

Which is the better band?

ledbassest

black sabbath was good for the changes in song structure, and the fact that tony iommi had a couple of his finger tips chopped off! and i loved how after hendrix he used 2 or more guitar tracks in his solos, a lot of people never notice that. i give black sabbath a 4. (ironic i just said something about sabbath in another thread)

queens of the stone age really isn't that good of a band. their riffs, structure, and lyrics are all very basic, and sometimes boring. i give them a 1.

led zeppelin was great. i don't have to say anything, you should talk to will, ledbassest. (if he's still around) give them a 4 as well.

queen, i never really liked. but they were different, and they were good. 3. (great guitar player!)

muse...

they have disgustingly basic structure, and stick to 1 key and don't use any tempo changes. their bassist thinks he's good because he does constant hammer ons. simple 4/4 same crap over and over.

this band is so bad, i have no idea how they got a record contract.

people compare them to radiohead, saying they're the "harder version of radiohead" which disgusts me again because radiohead is progressive and extremely creative. those 2 bands don't even compare.

muse=0

all of those bands are rock. i'm not making any assumptions but you should broaden your horizons, listen to different types of music. have an open mind, of course. but hey, maybe you do already! who knows. nice thread. ;)

1. Black Sabbath: First album (we used to play the first track over and over on Halloween) 3, the rest suck: 1

2. Queens of the Stone Age: Sucks: 1

3. Led Zepplin: Totally doesn't suck: 5

4. Queen Totally doesn't suck: 5

5. Muse: Sucks and blows: 0

Wah Wah,

Buffy

how can you all relate one genre to another? genres should not be rated to each other. can you say (w/out bias) that zepplin and mars volta can be compared to each other as equals? ;)

it is interesting that some of you fell from the path that i led you onto though. some changed from the bands that i put to others, or did not list all the bands that i put down.

how can you all relate one genre to another? genres should not be rated to each other. can you say (w/out bias) that zepplin and mars volta can be compared to each other as equals? ;)

it is interesting that some of you fell from the path that i led you onto though. some changed from the bands that i put to others, or did not list all the bands that i put down.

Sure you can, music is music. You obviously aren't rating them on talent because who's to say what is talent? Is it the ability to play a guitar as fast as humanly possible, or the abillity to write a chord progression that is likeable by everyone? So comparing music is just comparing how much you "like" something. I can say that I like Dream Theater more than I like Beethoven, but I like Beethoven more than I like Led Zepplin.

You obviously aren't rating them on talent because who's to say what is talent? Is it the ability to play a guitar as fast as humanly possible, or the abillity to write a chord progression that is likeable by everyone?

talent is to be rated yes, although people have many distorted and different views on what talent is. i can say that i like queens of the stone age but they have little to no talent. thus their rating is different from their talent.

Ohnow i understand. my upmost apologies.

but then what is talent?

according to dictionary.com a talent is:

1.A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment. See Synonyms at ability.

a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.

b. A person or group of people having such ability: The company makes good use of its talent.

Also a "natural endowment or ability of superior quality" in doing what? Playing guitar super fast, or writing popular tunes?

just because you can play something fast or write popular tunes does not mean anything. i can play sixteenth and thirty-second notes at 220 bpm on my bass. this does not show that i do otr do not have skill. i consider my real skills to be my music theory and putting it to an instrument, usually my bass. scales and arpegios make up most great music. add in the balance stacked onto a cord.

There really can be no quantitative analysis of music. Does being popular impart some symbol of tallent? Does a platinum album mean that you are superior to any musician that has only a gold album? I really do not think so.

Just as with most other art forms, it is the toatal package and the ability of the medium to impart some sort of feeling, reaction, etc. from the observer. This is all subjective to the observer, because he brings in his own set of judgements that may differ from anyone else's.