Science Forums

So What's Everybody Watching?

Buffy

Alias - Innovative and smart with nice twists and turns...

Lost - From the creator of Alias, I think. One of the best shows.

J.J. Abrams is a genius: Lets take Felicity's wimpy roommate and make her a kick-butt secret agent, with a heavy dose of "The Wild, Wild West"....(for you popliterary-types, see the parallels between Sloane and Dr. Loveless? We're talkin the series here, not the movie...). Rumors going around that Alias is on the brink: its always been considered a "cult" show, and no one was more surprised to see Lost become a huge hit than ABC and actually increase Alias' numbers over previous seasons, but people are switching over to American Idol after Lost, so its not carrying over what it should. I despise American Idol...

24 (I think they will show day 4 this year)

This show sure has its ups and downs. At least they've dropped "the Perils of Kim" in season 4. Some interesting twists this year (for those of you in the states, the previews of next week sure included a jaw dropper [no spoilers here])

And this year Buffy in its entirety will be showed over here....

Angel - Rerun for us, but I'll watch it.

Of course! Angel is underated. If you like "Buffy" you should like Angel, and I personally am glad the show gave Charisma so much more to work with as an actress. She's good!
Joey - Loved Friends so I will watch this. I'm guessing it wont survive for more than two seasons, but who knows?

Joey is struggling, but we record it and try to keep up (its opposite Survivor...) The pleasant surprise in this one is Drea DeMatteo, who totally steals the show. I like Matt, I think he's underrated and pigeonholed, but having an equal like Drea makes this show sing. Definitely worth the time, and hopefully NBC will stick with it for a little while.

Cheers,

Buffy

CSI (all three of them) Always interesting. I agree, would also add in some of the Law & Order series into this.

Buffy- have watched them all in rerun over the years and love the show.

Angel-I'd agree the show is under rated. Also used to watch the older Forever Night show which had its own interesting twist on the vampire story.

Have watched Stargate the series somewhat throughout its whole evolution. Can't say I'm a total fan of the series since its my wife that actually loves them.

I'm not much into the sitcoms and such that the networks have out there. Though the few I have watched over the years are interesting. More of a movie and series buff especially the SiFi type series(ie ST, Starwars, Babylon Five, etc.) Of these I have my favorites. I love ST, but saw a series like Babylon Five as closer to human future truth if we ever got out there. I like the whole Starwars storyline and find its admixture of eastern thought interesting in the least. One could consider Vadar as the real central character who runs the whole extreme from little questioning boy, to dark master of the force, and back again bringing both yin and yang into ballance in the process. Would also suggest that Obewan's mention of how things actually boil down to a certain perspective is right on when it comes to life and viewpoints in general.

Am I a freak because I still can't get enough of the Simpsons? I still tune in every Sunday night, and any day during the week when I'm at home between 5-6pm EST to watch them... I never get tired of it. Sigh... Also, I am horribly addicted to Family Guy and Futurama.

I do watch a lot of shows about building - I like Trading Spaces, et al, on TLC, and some of the same types of show on HGTV. Also a new one out called "I want that!" which has in the three episodes I've seen gotten my interest. USually on Sunday nights at 8:30pm (right after the simpsons, woopee!) on HGTV.

I have been watching American Idol this season (I know... sigh) and after that comes House, which I didn't want to like in the beginning, but I'm finding that I really am liking it, despite my stubborn bias.

• 3 weeks later...

monster garage. I never get tired of the stuff they do.

mythbusters is ok once in a while.

Monster house was good while it was airing.

Simpsons and family guy are usually just on thair often enough I'll catch them when I'm bored. only seen an episode or two of american dad.

• 1 month later...

___I saw a few episodes of a show on cable called MythBusters. A small crew of special effects engineers set up experiments to affirm or bust myths such as; a thrown playing card can make a lethal weapon; exploding jawbreakers, etc. I like it well enough. :wave:

We have the super-duper package from DirecTv, and all we watch is dvd's. How stupid is that? We got the satellite for football last year, and hardly ever watch it anymore. i have no idea why I'm still paying that bill.

It must be for the Lizzie re-runs that m daughter can't get enough of.

Of course, we've just discovered Punk'd as well. Now as dumb as that show is, it still cracks me up every single time!

But for movies, the kids are stuck on the Pacifier, the StarWars series, and (nemo's favorite)...SpaceBalls!

ok i watch t.v as much as possible during the week not allowed on computer

so heres my list

the simpsons, neighbours,every body loves raymond,lost,world poker tour the afl matches on that week Monk good morning miami law&order any of them a current affair despret houswives 24 news mythbusters when we get sbs two and a half men all saints rove live taken csi (the origanal)new inventors spick's and specks black books glass house comedy inc the late shift house

and that's all i watch week in week out alot of tv

about 32.15 hours a week

7*5=35 hours at school a week

8*7=56 hours sleeping a week

32.15+35+56=123.15

7*24=168

Monster house was good while it was airing.

I don't think I'll ever forget the episode where they made the house into a sort of island paradise, complete with gigantic totem man in the living room, that actually had a fireplace in it. And that bathroom was incredible, with all the water shooting from every direction. And the mist thing in the backyard by the pool. Very nice. But it makes me wonder how you would ever sell a house with a giant molded tiki-face right in the middle of the living room... :)

• 3 months later...

What Sucks, What Doesn't Suck This Season.... (for those of you outside the US, wait a few months before this becomes relevant...)

Theme of the Season: Aliens or Things That Go Bump In The Night

Obituary of the Season: Reality TV. Long Live Reality TV. Even Survivor Sucks.

Best Show Period: Veronica Mars. Last season is out on DVD. Go buy it. Now. Catch up. This is the best thing since Buffy, and you all know what I think about that....

Second Best Show Period: Lost. Reinvents itself when it did not need to. My only reaction to the first episode (no spoilers) was, "Oh my god! It's Captain Nemo!" Got that faith versus logic vibe going too (heavy irony in the "Locke is the guy who goes with Faith" theme!)

Third Best Show Period: Desperate Housewives. We all try to avoid being like Susan, Bree, Lynette and Gabrielle, but they're there in all of us. Chick show, but accessible to they guys (unlike some of the others below!)....

Fourth Best Show Period: Medium. Ghosts meet CSI. Patricia Arquette is the only real mom on TV, and she's a psychic who solves crimes! Whoa!

Why are the top three all new from *last* season? Is this telling you something?

Best New Show: Supernatural. I was sure I was not going to like this show. The first episode sucked. I'm still watching it. Ghosts, not aliens, so it gets points for not following the dominant trend. Got a great 70's vibe though: they drive around in a 69 Impala with an *8-track* tape in the glove compartment (and tonight's episode closed to Free's "All Right Now" for you Stanfurd alums...)

Best New Comedy: My Name Is Earl. Its a guy show, and I actually don't like it much (it's Tivo'ed, while I watch Supernatural). Its definitely different though: this year's Arrested Development.

Second Best New Comedy: How I Met Your Mother. Subtle, but it grows on you. "Doogie" steals it...

Surprise Good New Comedy Disguised as Dreck: Twins. A staple for my kid and I: wedged between Amanda and Reba, its got pull. We counted 47 references to "The Butt-Pucker" in the first two episodes (which has thankfully gone away), but the latest episode where Farrah shows up the "brains" by coming up with the "Lop-Sizer"--a bra with different cup sizes--had us rolling on the floor. Melanie Griffith steals it. Give it time and it just might work...

Best New Drama: Commander-In-Chief. It will take a while to get its legs, but its picked up the West Wing audience in spades. Geena Davis deserves a hit show. If you're a fan of the Donald Sutherland-channeling-Tom-DeLay character (who is marvelous), then avoid this show (you oughta be watching The O'Reilly Factor anyway ;) ).

Best CSI replacement: Bones. Its not your average whodunit with autopsies. Doesn't hurt that David B is in it, but that's not the reason to watch, Emily Deschanel (sister of Zooey) is what makes this one tick.

Best Alien Show: Threshold. Carla Gugino does Karen Sisco channeling Captain Jonathan Archer with a neurotic, non-evil Lore and The Station Agent as her sidekicks. Aliens with a Star Trek angle that the others just fall flat on.

Suckiest Alien Show: Surface. Guys will be able to drool over Lake Bell's breasts, but they won't buoy this dreck. The characters are the most clueless I have seen in a long time. As one post I've seen said, "Hey meathead! That "lizard" is going to eat your best friend before it eats your bratty older sister!"

Boringest Alien Show: Invasion. Is anything going on here? What? I don't know. Do you remember any of their names? ZZZzzzz.....

Best Content-Free Eye Candy: Las Vegas. Guys got Molly and Nikki, we girls got Josh Duhamel ;) ....

Best Chick Show Period: Gilmore Girls. Best season ever. Rory's a felon. Lorelai is so mad she can actually spit! Love everywhere! Logan: best TV hunk in a *long* time! More sophisticated guys can find themselves drooling over Lauren Graham (like our local TV critic Tim Goodman)....

Best New Chick Show: Related. Guys will not get this show at all. Its totally for chicks, and there's no Sex and The City equivalent of Samantha.

Still the Best Ghost Show: Charmed. If you dropped this one, come back. Kaley Cuoco totally steals it. Guys will like the fact that they finally have a witch that's blonde and kicks butt (kinda like me!)...

Boob-Tubed,

Buffy

Well, i dont have cable although i used to but for now, im stuck watching simpsons, lost and what aver crap falls into the t.v's antenas, honestly once i lost cable after having it for 4 years (free becuase the stupid calbe network wouldnt disconect it) :naughty: i found out something amazing. T.v. is like a magnet, when you could be doning other things it eats you alive and wont let you go. i got away from that damned magnet only to fall into the one called....Computer....o well, its an imporvment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...