Science Forums

Urgent: All About Kelp Forest

Alpine

Hello world, :D

So I have this seminar coming up and it's REGIONAL level, besides that I have also made a model on the Kelp Forest (The ones present in oceans and seas). But the thing is I'm not aware of it uses and you may say functions. :mellow:

Can someone please tell me the advantages of the kelp forest?

I'm mainly looking for these things

Do they help in re-oxygenating oceans?

Can they be grown by humans?

Can they be grown by using some method?

Are they indirectly helping in cooling the Earth?

And that I saw this in Discovery Channel that they are really important in oceans, I want to know how? :blink:

So, I'm looking for anything and everything which shows how important they are and what all they can do the save the environment.

P.S Changing the topic is not possible now, so please don't suggest that. :(

NOTE: I HAVE ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT

Hello world, :D

So I have this seminar coming up and it's REGIONAL level, besides that I have also made a model on the Kelp Forest (The ones present in oceans and seas). But the thing is I'm not aware of it uses and you may say functions. :mellow:

Can they be grown by humans?

Can they be grown by using some method?

And that I saw this in Discovery Channel that they are really important in oceans, I want to know how? :blink:

So, I'm looking for anything and everything which shows how important they are and what all they can do the save the environment.

P.S Changing the topic is not possible now, so please don't suggest that. :(

This might be a starting point:

http://montereybay.noaa.gov/sitechar/kelp4.html

Hello world, ;)

So I have this seminar coming up and it's REGIONAL level, besides that I have also made a model on the Kelp Forest (The ones present in oceans and seas). But the thing is I'm not aware of it uses and you may say functions. :blink:

hello alpine. :D

yes, according to this source: >> planting kelp

Kelp beds are known as the rainforest of the ocean. They provide habitat, protection and feeding grounds for a thousand underwater species from the tiniest microorganisms to whales. Humans benefit, too. As algae, kelp is an important oxygen producer.

Can they be grown by humans?/Can they be grown by using some method?

yes, according to the same source: >>

...In 1996 the Santa Monica Bay Keeper, a nonprofit group and "park ranger" for southern California's coastal waters, began studying shrinking kelp beds. In 1999 as part of its kelp restoration project, the group installed portable aquariums in two ocean labs and three Santa Monica 6th grade classrooms. In October 2000, scientists and students cultured spores of giant kelp in these aquariums. To test different planting materials, they grew kelp on organic rope, roofing material and ceramic tile. ...

i can't imagine how. i supect however that they actually warm the water where they grow as they are dark in color & absorbing sunlight. :(

good luck! :mellow: :doh:

i can't imagine how. i supect however that they actually warm the water where they grow as they are dark in color & absorbing sunlight. :blink:

good luck! :mellow: :D

Like forests, "sea forests" of kelp, other seaweeds, and phytoplankton release or encourage the formation of aerosol particles like inorganic iodine (and kelp is a great source of iodine) under stress and dimethyl sulfide, which can encourage the formation of clouds and/or rain, and of course, cool an area, especially coastal places where kelp is found.

http://scitizen.com/biodiversity/the-antioxidant-function-of-iodide-in-kelp-impacts-coastal-climate_a-22-2041.html

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/dimethyl/overview.php

Alpine, I recommend doing some googling of "seaweed cultivation" and "kelp" and "wakame" cultivation in Japan, the Philippines, and other Asian countries where seaweeds and kelp are staple foods. You should find innumerable resources.