Science Forums

[Interview] Know Alexander More

Hypography's resident tech-freak, master of linux, and the driving force behind the servers that power this site, alexander agreed to share a few thoughts today..

>SO HOW MANY YEARS HAVE PASSED SINCE YOU WERE INTRODUCED TO HYPOGRAPHY?

Since March or April of 04, so about 6 years now.

>WHAT DO YOU DO AT HYPOGRAPHY?

Not a week goes by that i ask that question myself, and if i had to guess, so does T as well as other members of this community . Well, i basically run the CS section, and i sometimes help out with managing the server, i do some moderation, but generally i hang out, read interesting posts when i have time, and to the best of my ability or time situation, try to help out and interact with the community.

>HOW WERE YOU INTRODUCED TO THIS OASIS?

Google introduced me to hypo when i was searching for some stuff back at high school, i believe i was trying to find something on physics and there was a thread on hypo that discussed a totally different thing, but was rather interesting to read, methinks it was a discussion between Free-Thinker, Tormod, with some Irish mixed in, and it intrigued me, so i spent the next 3 days thinking through the ideas in the thread, as a result of which i read hypo for a couple of months, and then i had something to say, though to this day i don’t think i know enough to mentally contribute, but i digress, so i registered

>NOW, AS HYPOGRAPHY ENTERS INTO ITS 10TH YEAR, HOW HAS YOUR LIFE BEEN AFFECTED BY IT? IN OTHER WORDS HOW HAS HYPOGRAPHY HELPED YOU?

You mean other than causing sleepless nights, broken keyboards, weird stairs from coworkers and friends, nightmares, abnormal interest and over analysis of everything, constant commenting on tv series and science channel shows, unfinished homewors,s and hand cramps from typing for too long? But let's not concentrate on just the good things, there were and are people here that have influenced my being, actually i will use this time to thank them directly for their contribution (knowing or unknowing) in me, quite literally:

Tormod (and ofcourse his wife, say "Hi" to her for me !), IrishEyes, FreeThinker, UncleAl, Modest, GAHD, Buffy, DEFNITLYDISTRUBD.

Yes, i know some of them have left, some have been banned, and some are around, fortunately, actually. Also, if you don’t see your name in the list, it does not mean that i haven't taken anything from reading you, these are merely the most memorable people that have effected my life, but Hypography as a community has influenced me as much as all of these people together.

>EACH DAY AT HYPOGRAPHY IS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER DAYS. DO YOU AGREE TO THIS STATEMENT OR NOT? IF SO WHY?

Without getting too scientific of philosophical, i do and don’t agree. If you think of hypography's being as a path, and every day on that path is another dot, every dot speaks for itself, and thus does every day, every day takes its turn, whether for the best, or the worst we don’t know and thus there is a level of unpredictability of where we go next. But looking back at the path, you may, and do, start seeing trends, and while you can't predict the turn of individual days, the path is pretty clear for the near future...

>HAS HYPOGRAPHY BECOME AN INTEGRAL PART OF YOUR DAILY SCHEDULE?

ANY PARTICULAR REASONS FOR THE ABOVE?

I dedicate at least an hour a day to hypo on week days, and I don’t touch my computer on the weekends. I read some, a learn some, i sometimes dedicate days of time for research, but to answer the second question, it's because of a fundamental flaw in my brain that makes it want to learn, discover, play with things, and master things...

>WHAT SUBJECT FIELDS (AS A SCIENCE) YOU PREFER TO STUDY THE MOST?

Often the one's i know the least about, ok maybe not the least, but really little, nonetheless, here's a rundown. Physics (both applied and theoretical), Electronics, Computers, Linguistics, Psychology, History.

>HOBBIES WHICH YOU LIKE?

Oh god, don’t get me started on those, i have so many and I like them all to different extents. I'll put it this way, hobbies to me come and go, I get interested in something, i do it, I will do it until i master it, in which case I become bored and move onto something else...

>HOW WOULD YOU LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW YOU?

Who said I wanted to be known?

Rapidfire

Favorite:

Artist ( musical)

Uh, that’s a hard one, I listen to so much different music I have a lot of favorite artists, here are a few for your list of last names, kudos for anyone who actually knows all these people and can place what they did, types of music, without looking them up:

Mozart, Bach, Mahler, Shostakovich

Camilo, Bernstein, Lewis

Mae, Yanni, Turetsky

Shalyapin, Visotsky, Zhemchugova

Buuren, Dyk, Schulze

Shakur, Wallace, Marley, Hart

I don’t know I can keep going, but some of these last names will keep some of you guys pondering for a while and exploring, enjoy

Colour

don’t have a preference

Phrase/Quote

You mustn't interfere with the past. Don't do anything that affects anything. Unless it turns out that you were supposed to do it; in which case, for the love of God, don't not do it!

Game

Super Mario

Movie

Rather a series, Futurama

Book

I don’t read a lot of books, actually, so I haven’t read enough to have favorites, I mean I liked Huck Fin, I liked Lord of the Flies, I liked Second Genesis, I liked Digital Fortress, I liked Republic, I liked Taras Bulba, and all for different reasons, I also didn’t like some of these books for other reasons, so, no favorites here.

My Dream ..............

To figure out how to do what i like to do, which is sit around and do whatever strikes my interest gland at that point in time, and somehow get paid for it... Ladies and gentlemen, if you want to ask more, feel free to do so right here .

Regards,

TBA

For the Hypography Editorial Staff