Science Forums

Must we surpass Christ as the Saviour.

clapstyx

It seems to me that we are at a very strange point in history where on the one hand we have basically been lead to believe that Christ is unsurpassable and on the other hand the planet seems to be getting itself into a situation where it may well need someone to act in the capacity of saviour.

Now the latter situation is (or becomes) a true one what is the best thing the Pope can do about the effective discouragement of aspiration in the sense that to be the saviour one would have to pursue to be the saviour but unless you are Christ you are not supposed to have that aspirational longitude.

Ive thought about this a bit and Ive decided that the singularly best thing that the Pope could do presently in this moment would be to Saint Budha, Mohammed and Christ in a trople ceremony to acknowledge the virtue of developing profound degrees of aspiration for humanity.

Clearly if the planet gets itself into a directionless befuddlement some will have to rise to the challenge of the resolve and I am saying that part of the resolve is to overcome the negativity people come up with when someone else says they are trying to save the planet..because they say "who do you think you are Jesus?" like its a bad thing.

I believe what Christ did can be improved upon and that its noble to try.

If the Pope Saints the three of them it says that in their own way they were trying to do some of the same things and that there has been an acceptance of them with thanks for their contributions then noted.

It seems to me that we are at a very strange point in history where on the one hand we have basically been lead to believe that Christ is unsurpassable

this smells of Christian supremacy.

someone to act in the capacity of saviour.

Sounds like a grand adventure. Where do I sign up? =D

Ive thought about this a bit and Ive decided that the singularly best thing that the Pope could do presently in this moment would be to Saint Budha, Mohammed and Christ in a trople ceremony to acknowledge the virtue of developing profound degrees of aspiration for humanity.

why these particular three?

and again this smells of Christian supremacy

I'm a free thinker. by the way.

Something concrete.

What about teaching a technique that subconsciously gave evrybody the ability to think one degree further past the point that they would have normally stopped at. The cumalitive benefits of thinking that slight bit extra in the advance towards a higher degree of perfection should add up throughout over time. I'm sure its doable to train the mind to be more additive.

When you say "Christ" are you referring to a biblical view of Jesus?

If so, the bible portraits Jesus as being the perfect lamb of God. How can perfection be improved upon?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question... if so, please point me in the right direction.

Perhaps I might have been more eloquent if I had said "surpass the thinking of Christ". For instance what was he trying to resolve..was it resolved.

To be more frank, while wishing to be fair, why hasnt anyone put in place a functional and understandable philosophy for experiencing every positive emotion at full intensity.

To further my initial post the Sainthood idea was something that came up to change the general status quo so that we could understand the events post that event with a sense of relativity as to which of the various faiths were being positive and which ones werent. Having a handle on that sort of knowledge is important I think in order to understand the nature of the world we live in. In furtherance to that then, and with a consideration to unity, would it not be in the general interests of all of humanity for there to be a collaboration to produce a working philosophy that is tuned to the creation of every positive emotion as an experience. Surely none of the valid religions could find that out of place with their general ethos and it gives them all an opportunity to advance on a common footing of understanding as to the logic of the thinking of the others in the quorum albeit that they might come at it from different angles of consideration and strategy.

Something concrete.

What about teaching a technique that subconsciously gave evrybody the ability to think one degree further past the point that they would have normally stopped at. The cumalitive benefits of thinking that slight bit extra in the advance towards a higher degree of perfection should add up throughout over time. I'm sure its doable to train the mind to be more additive.

What that technique would be?

If we could "think one step further", what that would actually reveal. We do not actually know do we?..I would suppose that it would only add up more complexity in thinking so how we could assume that we would be "achieving something called higher degree of perfection" or just to be able to think more complex way ?

Let´s take an example; If I am capable to describing Moon higher and higher level of perfection..How that is related to actual Moon itself? Describing Moon is never going to be the Moon itself..

Edited by Vox

In revelations, the second coming of Christ has Christ different.

Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?" 3But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."

6Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits[a] of God sent out into all the earth. 7He came and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9And they sang a new song:

"You are worthy to take the scroll

and to open its seals,

because you were slain,

and with your blood you purchased men for God

from every tribe and language and people and nation.

10You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,

and they will reign on the earth."

The lamb becomes the Lion of Judah.

1I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. 12His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter."[a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:

KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

The mob doesn't respect a lamb, but if you send them a lion, they are on alert.

Edited by HydrogenBond

How would you know if this wish would become true or it´s opposite?

Since we are in a philosophy forum I am going to post this even though in a more scientific forum it would not be acceptable, here goes...

How can we really know that any kind of thought or wish can ever be truth when compared to the evidence. I believe that one's ability to observe and understand has very little to do with their ability describe and convey (of course without understanding nobody can convey). People have to describe things how they understand them and how things make sense to them.

To use a very elementary example, when I was little I heard that the moon looked like cheese-even that it was made of cheese-however when I looked at the moon I felt that it had no semblance whatsoever to cheese. It made sense to the person who told me that, they could make that statement and understand exactly how the moon looked based off of that statement, but for me it made no sense.

As far as thinking one degree further adding up over time, knowledge is not something that can be passed genetically from generation to generation. It is like saying that the baby giraffe's neck is long because its mother stretched her neck out to reach the food. The next generation would require the same mind-altering treatment plus more to exceed the thinking of a previous generation

• 5 weeks later...
knowledge is not something that can be passed genetically from generation to generation.
Depends what you mean by knowledge. The "potential to gain knowledge", as a mental activity related to facts of reality, most surely is passed genetically from one generation to another. I would agree that knowledge of specific facts of reality cannot be passed genetically, such knowledge is passed culturally.

To the point of this thread, do you think Jesus came to know that he was the Saviour from facts he gathered about his Jewish religion during his life, or was this thought of being the Saviour passed genetically to him from God indirectly via Mary (here I assume no genetics from Joesph) ?

Sorry that I kinda forgot about this thread, but what I really meant by that statement was that aquired characteristics can not be passed down through genetics. Since the idea was that a person could learn to think a degree further, and that over the generations this would add up, thus enhancing our abitlity to reason, I was saying that each generation would have to start at square one. So while I do agree that the ability to attain knowledge can be passed genetically, but only to the extent that is encoded in your genes.

To answer your question, I guess that would depend on whether you actually believe that Jesus is the savior. Assuming that we are operating on the basis Jesus is the savior, I would have to say that there came a point where he just knew. He may have even known all along, like from the first moment of conciousness. But to say that he learned from what he was taught, in my opinion, would bring up the question of whether he was even the son of God as the Bible proposes. If the "son of God" has to be taught that he is the son of God then it makes me question whether he is really anything other than just a normal human.