Science Forums

Which part of the body is the most honest?

alexander

Which part of the body is the most honest?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of the body is the most honest?

• Head (including face)
    • Arms (including hands)
    • Torso (including the buttocks and correlating frontal area as well as the neck)
    • Legs (including feet)

So if you've never pondered or thought about it, humans tend to communicate on two levels, one of them is controlled by our thinking brain, and it is the most obvious way we use to communicate, but we also have a reflexive brain, this is what is called the limbic system and it is responsible for our survival, because it reacts before we have time to think about stuff. It is the same system that will yank your hand away from the heat source when you are getting burned, it is the system that will freeze you if in the face of danger, or make you distance yourself or pump up the adrenaline and and blood to your muscles to either flee or fight, (i should mention, you have heard of this response, and use it daily, if you've ever heard the saying fight or flight, though in reality the system has 3 parts and they go freeze, flight, fight, and there are evolutionary adaptations that govern the reason for this system). Anyways, so we communicate on a conscious level, and we also communicate on a subconscious level, and if you are observant, and know what to look for, people's inner feelings can reveal themselves, sometimes in subtle, sometimes in a very pronounced form. It is an actual science, it is actually researched by institutions ran by government agencies, and private institutions, nonverbal communication can be used by the various law enforcement agencies as a reason to suspect and thus question, search, even detain you, and has actual precedents and cases in the supreme court in the US and all around the world, it is not something you can just dismiss as nonsense. Furthermore, it is often a lot more indicative of the truth then people's words, and while it is really really hard at times to positively determine that someone i lying to you about something, especially if those people have good self-control, this non-verbal communication can tell you how a person felt about your question, and because these are instinctual, while people can purposely fake some responses, they can not stop their body from making them... So from there, here's a poll, which part of the body can tell you most accurately what the person is feeling?

Funny question! I immediatelly thought of sexual organs, like penis getting up. It don't lie.

But then, I thought about the mechanism behind it and reproductive glands and that led me into interior. Then I thought, there is not much difference between a penis and a stomach. Both are reflexive. So, I thought the part over which you have least control is most honest, and that would be -- head maybe, or Torso? I voted Torso just because I think the head lies and Torso don't lie and is therefore most honest.

care to elaborate as to why you come to that conclusion, or is it just a hunch, Mr Turtle? :)

just one of those things i know & can't say how. :shrug: but say, what do you suppose is a reason people sometimes stick their tongues out while doing a concentrated complex/delicate manual task? :eek_big: :P ask me another mr. A . :rant: (or wave the hands when having a hissy fit for that matter?)

ps if you add hands to the poll i will vote it. :photos: otherwise, not so much. :clue:

Arms include hands, and legs include feet, i didn't try to leave any parts of the body out, its not a trick question, really... i have changed the poll to reflect that, and also made it 4 choices instead of five

Mr. Turtle, and Mr. Clay, thank you both for your contributions, in due time i will close the poll and i will explain the truth, including evolutionary and developmental reasoning for it, for now, i find it interesting that head and face have not been chosen... i have combined the two to make it easier to choose and less specific. This is not in any way to persuade someone to vote for the head if they think otherwise, and this is not to have any kind of a meaning or to give any sort of a hint...

@ Mr. Turtle, arms and hands have an enormous amount of things to say about how the person is feeling, absolutely, in fact, and this is not to persuade or dissuade anyone, but arms and hands give out probably some of the biggest tell-tale signs of child or relationship abuse, both in their behavior, and things like bruising (its the hardest to hide), something law authorities should (and some are) be trained to look out for, follow, assess, process, observe, and act on if enough reason is given... There's entirely too much abuse in this world...

@ Mr. Turtle, arms and hands have an enormous amount of things to say about how the person is feeling, absolutely, in fact, and this is not to persuade or dissuade anyone, but arms and hands give out probably some of the biggest tell-tale signs of child or relationship abuse, both in their behavior, and things like bruising (its the hardest to hide), something law authorities should (and some are) be trained to look out for, follow, assess, process, observe, and act on if enough reason is given... There's entirely too much abuse in this world...

i agree that hands are not for hurting. :) but also, whoaaaa cowboy! :clue: :P one lash for this geezer at a time. :rant:

first, arms are not hands. :shrug: you only wave your arms if you don't have hands. :eek: :lol: no but really... when you wave a flag, you don't refer to waving either the pole or your arms. the pole & arms are but means to ends; waving the flags & waving the hands.

so, i still say the hands are the most honest part of the body per your op (but not your poll. ;)). not that they can't or don't lie, but that no other part is as honest. i add my notice too, that no other part of the body as the hands are so often or easily seen and so giving them more opportunities to express honestly - or not so much - than any other part therto attached to a people. :photos: do you accede my assertions, or have you objections? :) :eek_big: :hyper:

ps i have a bona fide evolutionary argument in hand for delivery tomorrow. :read:

i find it interesting that head and face have not been chosen... .

Actors and actresses make a living effectively lying on stage and pretending to be someone they're not and the better they are at controlling their facial expressions in this vein the better they are at their job. It doesn't surprise me at all that the face would be as dishonest as someone's words.