Science Forums

How do we really know anything for sure?

V37E00E

Descartes goes through a sequence of analysis in an effort to find an absolute truth upon which to build his philosophy. He settled on "Cogito, ergo sum". "I think therefore I am". The conclusions of this series of analysis by Descartes have set the course, more or less, of Western philosophy. What are the fateful conclusions derived from the work of Descartes?

From my opinion Descartes has described "I" as Ego, illusory "I", created by mind/thinking

Currently I go with following descriptions:

I am, therefore I think

I am. therefore I feel

I am, threfore I love

"I" is the being which we were "undivided" mind before we could think, aware, but not thinking. Thinking then created then imaginery "I" (Ego) on top of real "I".

I think the time has come on this forum to put all posters who claim that we know nothing, and those who raise the question: how do we know anything, in the rubric of strange and silly claims. It's utter madness.

It would be shame, I dig to think.. if we could agree that we know about concepts and symbols called words and we can assemble these in/to logical context and identify logic and unlogic within. "Real events" though to which these concepts and symbols points are then diffrent story..we can deem these as unknown and go back to our thinking world in our brains

• 3 years later...