1. 1. What is your profession?

• Student
    • Businessman / Salesperson
    • Scientist / Doctor
    • Teacher
    • Engineer
    • Others
    • I don't work, I'm rich

I work for a company that manufactures components for the heavy/light truck industry in metallurgical research & development. I can only describe my position as 'hybrid,' since the job description is engineering, but my work is more pure physics. My undergrad degree is in chemistry; my masters is in applied physics. I have the task of devising testing methods, including measurement of residual stress in the components we produce. Keeping the x-ray diffraction system I put together calibrated and running takes up a fair amount of my time. The rest of the time is spent using an optical spectrometer, running tensile tests of various sorts, examination of steel & aluminum microstructures, and fracture analysis. I'm fortunate in that I perform the sort of work I like without being encumbered by day-to-day manufacturing concerns and all the ISO/QS requirements that entails. I'm pretty much left to my own devices without much in the way of micromanagement from my boss. As long as I generate reports the design and FEA engineers can understand, things go pretty smoothly for me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

___Keeping in mind that a mushroom is only the fruiting body of a much larger underground network of mycelia(sp), we welcome the profession.

___In regard to the poll, I do not work & I am poor.

___In the past however, I have pretended to several careers. To whit, 15 years as a swim/water safety instructor & 20 years as a cabinetmaker, & a wide ranging assortment of other occasional work thrown in. I am a Jack-O' All Trades & Master of Several.

___I particularly presently principally play the part of pseudo-recluse.

I noticed that there is now a logo "Hypography Editor" under my avatar. That's my job! Strange though. How did I become an editor? No mention whatsoever, and suddenly I have a new job.

But I will be a student at Northwestern University this fall. Can't wait to fly over the Pacific...

I noticed that there is now a logo "Hypography Editor" under my avatar. That's my job! Strange though. How did I become an editor? No mention whatsoever, and suddenly I have a new job.

It's because you once signed up for the editorial team. Fixed now.

But I will be a student at Northwestern University this fall. Can't wait to fly over the Pacific...

Great! Congrats!

I'm with Sanctus: has to be multiple choice. I could check all of them, although the last one was only during the dot-com bubble, so I'm no longer "rich" although for workaholics like me, rich just means getting to work on anything you want to without having to worry about the paycheck. When rich again, I'll go into producing documentaries....what category would that be in?

Cheers,

Buffy

why do you need to be rich to produce a docmentory?
Time and money. It requires lots of it. I guess I could do Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill on a budget, but I go for history/science documentaries with *lots* of CGI...

An aside: "Girls Gone Wild" is *not* a documentary....

Cheers,

Buffy

You should do a documentry about all the weirdos who spend their time sitting in front of the computer responding to other responses from other weirdos, who are responding to their responses.:note:

"People are strange, when you're a stranger..."

it's late.

You should do a documentry about all the weirdos who spend their time sitting in front of the computer responding to other responses from other weirdos, who are responding to their responses.:note:

"People are strange, when you're a stranger..."

it's late.

Yes BEAKER; sounds like all of us, Hypography geeks.