Science Forums

Time?

TechKnight

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could concentrate our discussions about time in one thread, they are almost the same... it's time consuming to have to write almost the same answers two times...

Well, I do not see how just saying that time does not exists will solve the time travel paradoxes if you continue to use time in equations. It's possible to formulate the time paradoxes in a completely mathematical way, without reference to expressionss like "exist" or "does not exist". If the concept of time existing does not make difference, I would agree to cut it with Occam's razor, but, as I already said, what is your definiton of "exist". If we want to say time does not exist, we need to have a difference with things that do. What defines the existence of something?

I would define something exists if we can sense it. Would that place memory as our 6th sense? Memory thus proving the passage of time. For a more scientific proof, we need "time" in order to have two objects occupy the same space. The fact that I can move one object, and replace it with another, proves there must be a fourth dimension. Otherwise all our usefull space would get filled up real quick.

The definition of "to exist" that you gave (something that we sense) is rather vague in the sense that there are a lot of things that our senses cannot feel but the senses of other animals can. Our senses are just some kind of apparatus with what we can measure things. Different animals have different senses and ranges of them. So, I think it is a very restrictive definition. Bees can see polarized light, but we cannot. I would like to have a definition where polarized light exists.

You arrived where I wanted. Yes, polarized light exists because humans can construct machines that detect it. But detect is the same as measure some characteristic. We have machines to measure time and they are called clocks. You may argue that time didn´t exist before clocks and polarized light existed before we detected it but, how you can say that polarized light existed before we could measure it and time don´t?

• 2 weeks later...

Surely you should have ended the first paragraph a the word 'NOT'.

The concept of time as having some sort of existance in its own right is unavoidable, but surely it is merely a way of comparing the positions of one or more objects.

Derek Williams.

i think time is just a state, its nothing, and it is really simple.

time=change, when things change, time goes. when things dont change, time stops. when things change back to the state they were b4, time goes backward.

it is possible for time travel. it will be just like everything become what they were b4 and you stay the same.

sorry about my english, im a chinese.

it is possible for time travel. it will be just like everything become what they were b4 and you stay the same.

Plz tell me how this will ever be possible! You are concluding a very complex idea such as time travell in such simplicity. The reality is that it is NOT simple like this. How can things just stop? how can go they go back to the state they were in before? Has this ever happened before? NO! And why is that? Because it is easy to state a theory when all you are doing is typing, acctually doing what you have said is impossible... I could say that becoming a surgeon is easy but becoming one is a different story to saying i'm going to become one.

what i think about time:

if you say that time is like a dimension, that means there is another universe that is different in time.

but if there is, that there would be trilliions of them (and more more), (b/c everyone trillionth sec time is different), which is not right to me.

i think there is only 1 world, only 1. time is the state of the world.

time is just an idea of us, humans. 1 hour to us is not so long, but to a fly, it would be like a month. so, for a fly, time goes slower than our time. maybe time is stop or going backward to something else in the universe.

maybe time sometimes stays or it goes back ward, but we dont know, we dont feel it, because we are actually in the change or stop. as well as our brain and memory. who knows? maybe time is running backward to something else in the universe, we dont even know what means going forward and what means going backward.

sorry about my english, you may not understand what im saying. :

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

what i think about time:

"time is just an idea of us, humans. 1 hour to us is not so long, but to a fly, it would be like a month. so, for a fly, time goes slower than our time. maybe time is stop or going backward to something else in the universe."

ok you are contradicting urself, saying that time is just an idea means ur saying that it really doesnt exist, doesnt effect us cause its just an idea and then u say it goes backwards or stops for something else..proposing that time does affect them , like it does exist?

Its not time thats affecting us, we are not getting old because of time, but because of other things such as gravity ect. things that cause us to decay ...its not time that is gradually going by its THE gradual decay that we are measuring by a MAN MADE method :TIME.. TIME DOESNT CONTROL US..ITS THE OTHER FORCES OR WATEVER THAT CAUSE DECAYING THAT ARE CONTROLLING EVERYTHING. so if u wanted "time" to stop u would have to make molecules and atoms stop decaying but u could never reverse their decay. I'm speaking of the physical notion of time..psychologically it can exist...anything can exist psychologically.. but since u cant mix the realityof psychological and physical things ..u could never think that ur going back in time(psychologically) and end up really going back in time (physically)

...how do you know decaying could never reverse? like nuclear fission and fussion. they are reverse. people didnt observe some particles combine together doesnt mean they dont happen. its about reality and fantasy. in your view of point, when something thats not observed, its not real. but in my viewpoint, when something sounds resonable, that maybe real.

think about it, what do we humans know? we are trapped by our own knowledge, many things seem impossible but they are actually happening.

H2 and O2 can react and form H2O and H2O can turn into O2 and H2. everything has a reverse. when all factors are oppsite, thing can go reverse. neutrons can decay into protons and electrons, protons can capture a electron and decay into neutrons.

yo Tim_Lou i see your point man but I.D is telling time is not a real concept its just somthing a human thought up and is in actuality just the decay of particals and matter around use. Now if u could reverse the decay then u would (psychologically) stop time.... if u can think of time in this sence.

hey what do i know........ hehe

i keep thinking about it and now i have a new idea. it is not possible for a person to stay the same while the world goes backward. b/c everyone affects the world. Since one person is gone, than some facts are different and it will be different.

so, its not possible to travel back time but time MAY go backward.

i think about all that reverse thing, i really got into too much about fanasty, things change backward is actually more complex then time, i dont know what will make things go backward but it may happen......i almost got mad thinking about all these. :

sigh, now it is time to go back to the realistic life and face the school, homework and all that.

school is back tomorrow!!! T_T...........

yeah, you are right. even time goes backward, time is still going forward. its an idea of human, and this idea is set to be moving forward...

what people mean travel back in time is that everthing become what they were b4 and it seems like time is back...