Science Forums

Botany Teminology ?

After avoiding leaning Botany terminology all my life it looks like I am doing a course which requires it it some detail--at a cellular level.:rotfl:

God is getting her revenge.:phones:

Is there any good, easy sites for Botany language on the Web?

I was hoping for something like the periodical table ones.

If not, can anyone recommend a good Picture Book?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found a good resource

The Worlds of David Darling

I didn't know this

Origin of eukaryotic cells

The set of ideas most favored by biologists to explain how eukaryotic cells first came about is called the endosymbiotic theory. This theory is able to account well for the fact that two of the organelles found in eukaryotic cells, mitochondria and chloroplasts, have their own DNA that is completely distinct from the DNA housed in the nucleus. According to the endosymbiotic theory, the eukaryotic cell evolved from a symbiotic community of prokaryotic cells. Specifically, the mitochondria and the chloroplasts are what remains of ancient symbiotic oxygen-breathing bacteria and cyanobacteria, respectively, whereas the rest of the cell seems to be derived from an ancestral archaean prokaryote cell.

The origin of the eukaryotic cell was a milestone in the evolution of life. Although eukaryotes use the same genetic code and metabolic processes as prokaryotes, their higher level of organizational complexity has permitted the development of truly multicellular organisms. Without eukaryotes, the world would lack mammals, birds, fish, invertebrates, mushrooms, plants, and complex single-celled organisms.

So you have three bits-cell nucleus, mitochondria and chloroplasts all propagating themselves.

Independently?

and here at Hypogrphy, yet to explore

Botany: Organizations

http://hypography.com/forums/biology/4813-good-free-online-ebook-learning-botany.html

Botany