Science Forums

Wireless HP and linux

Ben

I just unpacked a supposedly wireless printer HP series B209.

Of course the installation disk only works with Windows, which is OK, as I have double-boot with linux. Under Windows, all works as it should, wired and wireless.

But under linux (ubuntu interface), the printer works just fine as wired, but not at all as wireless.

I trawled and trawled, and most peeps seem to say it can be done as wireless. This I don't doubt, but I am such a baby when it comes to computing, I can't seem to get it going.

I would be grateful for some (relatively) non-technical help; even if you no direct experience of this particular series of printers, you might be able to give some general pointers.

Thanks in advance

I thank you both for your responses. It turns out I am even more of a computer moron than I had thought - even though ubuntu could see my new printer, I hadn't "added" it under my admin -> printing function.

All is now well. Thanks again for your time.

Hey, hey the fact that you are using ubuntu already means that you are not a computer moron... Computer morons use windows and think that it's the best damn thing on the rock, and think that Linux is something that you have to know the x86 instruction set (its a few rather thick books-big) and be able to interpret hex on the fly to run... if they even know what linux is

Hey, hey the fact that you are using ubuntu already means that you are not a computer moron... Computer morons use windows and think that it's the best damn thing on the rock, and think that Linux is something that you have to know the x86 instruction set (its a few rather thick books-big) and be able to interpret hex on the fly to run... if they even know what linux is

:)

I agree. Using Ubuntu explicitly means you are *not* a computer moron. :D

Btw, how is the scanning on that printer in Ubuntu? When I searched for a solution for you, I came across lots of threads about people having terrible scan quality with this printer.

Hmm. Poor quality? In fact, Xsane cannot see my printer/scanner wirelessly at all!

It seems there are Sane extras, or the possibility to launch via GIMP. I am not hopeful about this. But it appears there are other supported image scanners available.

I will check all these out tonight (yeah, I know. What sort of sad bastard spends his Sat night doing that sort of thing?). Alternatively, anyone have any suggestions? (it seems Xsane doesn't offer me an option to re-comfigure)

PS by edit: Yay! Fixed Xsane! My synaptic allows me a quick re-install, which, with wireless HP enabled, Xsane auto-detected and now we are cooking.

I agree, scan quality is very poor. I will try launching via GIMP, where at least (or so I believe) I can "re-pixelate" (is this a word?)

Gosh - I can't get over myself......

• 8 years later...

It is quite true that the HP printers are somehow a little bit [problematic on a Linux platform, but if you configure the settings properly, it will be easier to run a printer even on a Linux system. In such case, if you find any problem with the HP printer, then follow the steps mentioned in HP Support Australia to fix the errors. 

• 4 years later...

The Wireless Extension (WE) is a generic API allowing a driver to expose to the user space configuration and statistics specific to common Wireless LANs. The beauty of it is that a single set of tool can support all the variations of Wireless LANs, regardless of their type (as long as the driver support Wireless Extension). Another advantage is these parameters may be changed on the fly without restarting the driver (or Linux).

For More Visit : Linux Course in Pune

• 4 months later...

Hey, hey, the mere fact that you use Ubuntu implies that you are not a computer fool. Computer moron utilise windows and believe it to be the best damn thing on the planet, and they believe that in order to run Linux, you must be familiar with the x86 instruction set (which is covered in a few quite heavy books) and be able to understand hex instantly, if they even know what Linux is.

• 2 weeks later...

Linux is a free, open-source operating system (OS) that is based on the Linux kernel. It is a type of Unix-like OS, meaning that it is designed to be used in networked settings and is extremely powerful and versatile. Unlike other operating systems, Linux is not owned by any single entity and is instead managed by an ever-growing team of developers from around the world.

This makes it incredibly flexible and customizable, allowing users to tailor the OS to their needs. As Linux has grown in popularity, it has become increasingly adopted by users from all walks of life. Its user base now includes home users, business users, and even government institutions. This widespread adoption has been largely driven by its impressive features, such as its superior security, flexibility, and reliability.

Linux Training in Pune