Science Forums

Just imagine... a different evolutionary path.

GreekTTC

Just some hypothetical ramblings here...

Let's assume that the only way life can exist is with the neccessary components with which we are presently aware (carbon-based life forms).

What if, on other distant planets, life exists in the same forms as Earth (mammals, reptiles, fish, amphibians, etc., etc.), but imagine if on these different worlds, a different species reigned supreme...gaining intelligence and becoming the dominant species. There would be worlds with intelligent reptillians, or maybe insect-based intelligent beings.

Or maybe as evolution takes its course over millions of years (even here on earth), other types of creatures begin to learn and become intelligent.

Just fun thoughts, though I'd guess since evolution can take any one of an infinite number of paths, alien life would be totally different than anything found on earth. With the exeption of helpful adaptations having manifested themselves in different ways (i.e., opposable digits, language).

That is all.

I did an article a couple of years back for the Queensland Inquirer which has as a subject UFO's in general. Using some previous done work on how certain reptile classes seemed well on the road to developing intelligence(Raptors for example) my own article focused on the fact that all of those so-called grey reports tend to all have a certain reptillian appearance at least as far as reported features go. I even went a bit into how certain Avian traits present today could help a species well when it comes to long term star travel. Now while all of this was scientific based speculation if we again assume that earth provides a decent example if it was not for a few twists that nature managed to throw our way then perhaps this discussion would be happening between two decendents of the Raptor line.

Point is within limits intelligence could arise in a lot of different species we find right here on earth. Its not limited to the animal kingdom at all when it comes to potential. Nor are we the only intelligence displaying creatures on this planet. Whales and other creatures in that same line tend to display attributes of intelligence themselves. Yes, they again are mamilians. But under evolution a lot of possibilities exist. Now as concerns insects some study has been done on this. Their body structure tends to set limits on upward growth which in turn has an effect upon the development of larger brains. Part of the problem is their exo structure is just too ridgid to begin with. While I cannot remember the exact link there is some on this online to be found. In general, if insects were to ever develope into something akin to us it would require some major changes in their body structure which probably would classify them as something way beyond an insect to begin with.

How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a leaf? Herbivores are stupid. Carnivores are either not social or are too focused. Omnivore pack animals with social structure and high metabolism are forced to be smart - to stay alive as individuals and as a group.

Now you must stress them enough to fire evolution but not kill them all off. You need tool-making and formal communication. Roll 'em if you've got 'em. Anatomical compromises to support a big, hungry, hot brain will be necessary. So, what comes after mammals?

• 3 weeks later...
Well, maybe a new order of animals might evolve to take our place or as Animal Planet's special ' The future is wild' that mammal-like squid will take our place.

That is all.

My money is on intelligent flying snakes taking our place, or maybe zombie rats from hell?

Oh, I forgot, my silly contenders can't be real because Animal Planet hasn't drempt them up yet. I guess we should stick to the facts that the fine scientists on Animal Planet use in their "documentaries".