Science Forums

Is that a monkey on your back?

Fishteacher73

As an effort to learn more about my fellow Hypographians I have yet another generally personal question.

What kind of pets do you all have?

I have always been surrounded by animals of some sort.

I myself am a HUGE fish nerd (I've had over 30 tanks running at one time, managed a pet-shop, and run my own aquarium maint. and design buisness), but have also had quite an extensive reptile collection (Worked in the herp. departnment of the Knoxville zoo).

I've had everything from sea cucumbers to octopi to poison dart frogs to caimans to the standard dogs and cats.

Anyone else out there like their critters?

i just have a little chiuahuah as of right now. throughout my life i want a koala, some kind of monkey, a genetically altered bear, and elephant, to make them toy sized. i love having animals around, they are so interesting.

i've never liked cats until the other day when i just watched my friends cat roam around his room, such mysterious creatures. no wonder why the egyptions cherished them.

wish i had more!

i never understood why ferrets were outlawed in california, yet the pet stores still sold ferret supplies...

The legislature was scared of a ferral ferret feud...hehehehe (You have to love aliteration) But really they did not want a ferral population to form. Exotic laws vary from state to state and city to city.

Most people are mildly allergic to the hairs of tarantulas if you get a nervous one that likes to flick them....(But that is really only if you handle them).

Only latin american tarantulas have urticating hairs. I don't advocate that they be handled though since dropping one could kill it. They should be treated like fish, kept in an aquarium to watch.

turtles outlawed in norway! why?

I think it was discovered that the turtles sold in Norway were a threatened species and therefore it was outlawed. It happened quite a while ago.

But we outlaw just about anything the Government doesn't like so we're used to it. :)

In the US it is illegal to sell turtles with carpace lengths under 4". The reasoning for this is that turtles can carry slamonella and many kids were hadling turtles and getting sick. Our sage like legislature decided it it was beccause kids were sticking them in their mouths and a 4" turtle they reasoned would not fit in a child's mouth. (They seemed to forget about the whole handling thing and kids sticking hands in their mouths). So suddenly people that had been breeding turtles for the pet trade had turtles they could not sell (And would not be able to for a few years untikl they gre big enough) and there was a new sudden stress of collecting wild turtles that were large enough (And usually more stressed and more likely sick).

Two cats, one 14 lb ocicat and one 8 lb rescue tabby, both with free access to outside. Both get a live feeder mouse every Sunday. Two cats keep each other clean. One goes neurotic, three gang up 2 on 1. The tabby is a great hunter. She brings home wild mice between Sundays. Wild mice last a couple of days before disappearing down the ocicat. Feeder mice last about an hour, then break, then go down the hatch crunch crunch crunch.

They both (mostly) obey voice commands - "come here, mouse!, uh-uh." That is about all one can ask of a cat. They're great little snuggle gals.