Science Forums

Blood spatter analysis

RobertP

Hi all, this is my first post

I am a 19 year old dude who is trying to go from a high school **** up to a successful college student on his way to thriving in a career that he greatly enjoys. For me, that career would be forensic science

I have been interested in blood spatter analysis for years, since probably about fourteen. I wanted to pursue a career in it once I graduated, then I got discouraged and ****ed up my grades. I even flunked out one of my college classes (thankfully the only one I did bad in), then I never went to college after I graduated high school (I took college credit courses while in high school)

From what I know, it's a lot of science and math to specialize in something like this. Hopefully I can improve as a student

Welcome RP,

I seem to recall a few others here at HypoG interested in Forensics, and posting some threads. Try searching some terms in the search box above, right (I think). ...or wait a day or so....

~ :phones:

p.s. I changed from biology to chemistry in college, when it got to the blood part, so I'm not gonna be much help.

hello robert,

welcome to Hypography!!:phones:

Forensic science is rather a broad term encompassing many areas of study and analysis. Take a look at the link provided and discuss with your advisor how you would like to go forward. Clearly defining your goals will help you in this transition and give you the confidence you need :)

Forensic science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey rob, I'm a little bit older, but also a guy who went from being a rather successful highschool student to a college ****-up, well not that i've ever been in trouble, but i'm on one of those, eventually to return plans. I have a job i love, in a different field then your profession, but i do like to discuss various subjects and various fields of science. As pam points out above, forensic science is a very broad term, and i hope your interest in it is not because of watching too much CSI, and you can clearly admit to it here if that is the case. Juust saying that its a little different then what those series pertain, and infact have very little to nothing in common.

That said, blood spatter, for that matter any kind of spatter analysis is something i'd gladly discuss with you, it can most certainly show you aspects about the nature of the liquid and how it ended up on what/where it ended up on.

That said, welcome, and i hope you are here for more then one discussion of your subject of passion.

I've never seen CSI. That's the one thing that pisses me off when I tell people about what my interest is. Do people who want to be lawyers get told they watch too much Law and Order? Not that I'm accusing you of this, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine

I got into forensics because my science teacher in high school had a passion for it, and she introduced me to bloodstain pattern analysis

I've read books at length that describe forensic investigation as being nothing like CSI, and I have an idea of what the job entails. For one thing it's more boring at times, and you're hardly ever going to investigate a pristine crime scene. Most of the scenes you'll go to, for example, will be lower class results of domestic violence. Very messy environments

well the problem is that after the csi shows on tv a lot of kids all of the sudden wanted to become csi's bacause they think that the show is how it is in real life... That's why usually the first courses into forensics of any kind start with questions about the motivation. Don't be peeved, but that's just a way to weed out people who really don't know what they are getting into.

hey robert,

I too have a passion for the same. I was but a mere lass when Quincy was on prime time- but I loved it. I have had the opportunity on several occasions to experience a crime scene. Dont ask:eek:

One time I was able to get up close and personal with blood splatter on a sleeper sofa mattress. Unfortunately, it was evident that the victim was most likely dead-although not found- after assessing the pattern. You really have to have the stomach for such study and separate yourself from emotion the best you can. I found for me, that if the crime involved a child then I was at a disadvantage. I wish you the best in your course of study. :)

well the problem is that after the csi shows on tv a lot of kids all of the sudden wanted to become csi's bacause they think that the show is how it is in real life... That's why usually the first courses into forensics of any kind start with questions about the motivation. Don't be peeved, but that's just a way to weed out people who really don't know what they are getting into.

I understand what you mean. I think the kids who get into this because of the TV they watch are impressionable idiots

I started another thread on a question I have about this topic, thinking it would derail this one:

http://hypography.com/forums/watercooler/21752-how-rare-career-blood-spatter-analysis.html#post287574

well I wouldn't call them impressionable idiots. Many fresh young minds are open to many things. If they choose that as their course of study after seeing the hundreds of forensic shows plastered over the channels, certainly the faint of heart will weed out soon enough. I remember one time in the lab when 75 percent of the students ran out after just seeing a cadaver. Can you imagine what would have happened if that guy had not been prepped?