Science Forums

Statues in the Park

Napoleon Chagnon studied the Yanomamo people of the Amazonian rainforest for thirty years or so. That’s a lifetime commitment. Although not many people are familiar with his work, his research is, IMO, the crème de la crème of anthropological field work. I feel as though his contribution to society merit’s a statue in the park or something. Statues in the park are more likely to be of Napoleon Boneparte, a vicious, sycophantic warlord. We could’ve done without Boneparte, but for some reason he is glorified and Chagnon is not. While I do not work with marble or bronze, I’d like to commemorate Chagnon here on Hypography in whatever small way I can.

post-16160-128210107356_thumb.jpg

...and there he is. :oh_really:

Another equally eligible candidate for our statuary prize should be Jane Goodall. Much more well-known.

post-16160-128210107364_thumb.jpg

Plenty of pictures of Jane, but I really wanted one of just her for this, without chimpanzees.

It’s hard to compare the respective contributions of these two scientists - both are invaluable but very different - and this is not my point at all. I’d like to commemorate the kind of scientist that spends decades crouching in a jungle, as opposed to the pen-and-paper theoretician types, who’s slings and arrows come from the urban jungles of modern academia. This is a special kind of scientist. I’ve listed two, but I’m sure there are many more, and it shouldn’t be limited to anthropology.

I feel funny doing this - that a photograph and couple of paragraphs of my broken and uneducated pros is enough to represent these people or their contributions. But I don’t know what else to do - what else to say. I’m only hoping that forum members will be interested enough in this thread to pool their talents and knowledge into an open-ended compilation documenting their lives/deeds - that we may be able, in our own way, to chisel some kind of e-monument here on Hypography.

The first group of folks that came to my mind after reading your post was the Leakeys(although erecting 5 actual statues in their honor does seem like it would be a bit excessive! ).

Mary Leakey

Louis Leakey

Richard Leakey

Meave Leakey

Louise Leakey

And just as Chagnon spent his life telling us more about ourselves, specifically our neighbors the Yanomamo; and just as Jane Goodall told us about our cousins the chimpanzee; The Leakey family was was responsible for much of what we know about our hominid ancestry. Through their dedication in the field, working in the barren conditions of southern Africa, we have come to better know ourselves.

So this e-statue is dedicated to the Leakey's!

• 2 months later...

Hi Sman,

It’s hard to compare the respective contributions of these two scientists - both are invaluable but very different - and this is not my point at all. I’d like to commemorate the kind of scientist that spends decades crouching in a jungle, as opposed to the pen-and-paper theoretician types, who’s slings and arrows come from the urban jungles of modern academia. This is a special kind of scientist. I’ve listed two, but I’m sure there are many more, and it shouldn’t be limited to anthropology.

That reminds me of something I read about the interpretation of statues of military men on horses.

If the horse had:-

(a) 2 legs in the air - They died in battle

(:phones: 1 leg in the air - They died as a result of injuries sustained in a battle

(3) 0 legs in the air - They died of non battle related injuries

Surely the scientific community could think of something similar to honour their own heroes.

• 3 months later...

This one's funny!

Joystick_XL

(by DVDjHex, aka Coldcreation)

Joystick_XL, inflatable nylon sculpture (condom with reservoir), 1995, 850 x 160 cm, exhibited through the boulevards of Paris, Barcelona at Coldcreation Gallery and ETC Gallery Hartford Connecticut (here shown at Club House Gallery, West Hartford Connecticut, 1996).

:phones:

CC