Science Forums

Neuro Linguinistic Programming

Gulielmus

I have been getting into NLP lately and would like some more information on the subject. If anyone has information on the subject i think it would make a good descusion. I cant seem to find a general or over all explanation of the subject if anyone has one or a link to one it would be great if you would post it or let me know somehow. :friday:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been studying NLP for about 15 years as a hobby. I would love to continue this thread with you if you are still looking for information. The first order of business is the need to be aware of the players in this exiting game of communication. The first player is Richard Bandler, the author of "Frogs into Princes".

I don't like to ramble, so if there are specific pieces of information you would like exposed, please lead me in the right direction. I have personally applied NLP to several new ideas and would really enjoy bouncing them off someone else’s grey matter for a change.

I have read about some of the specifics (mirroring etc...) but i am having a hard time finding a general definition of it. what i have learned so far has just been from the internet. it really intreagued me because this is the kind of stuff that i notice everyday but never take the time to write down, so having my memory i might remember it six mounths down the line where it has no use for me.

What i am currently reading (snowseed.com) does not have a good break down of eye movement (looking right imagining, looking left thinking...) any tips.

what did you originaly get into it for?

- gulielmus

I originally got into it with the idea of applying it to a different type of training that I had had before. The problem/benefit in practicing NLP you open doors to areas of human behavior that make you question what you really want from life. I decided early on that I did not wish to purposefully manipulate people, which negated multiple resources. I did not wish to become a salesman, and I refused to become what the industry was trying to produce. NLP has become too common in the motivational speaking world.

I am an NLP hobbyist and very much enjoy the principals of NLP and have learned that it should never be the primary tool employed when trying to communicate.

So far in my opinion the best resources in print are:

"Frogs into princes" which I mentioned before

And

Warrior's Edge

John B. Alexander, Richard Groller, Janet Morris

This book is very difficult to find

• 5 months later...

NLP Wiki Link

Hmm.. interesting topic..

However, I wonder how you can change someone who is completely borderline and refuses to stop being borderline.

Borderline: save world / destroy world

Hmm.. humans are stupid... should i kill them all because i'm sick of looking at them.. or should I fix this problem to better technology and science?.. hmm.. :)

My experience with NLP has been two-fold.

My first exposure, in the early 1980s, was in the context of discussions of the many schools of psychotherapy that were flourishing around that time. NLP shared many of the techniques described by Fritz Perls’s “gestalt therapy”, by which my now wife, then a psych student, was very impressed.

By the late 1980s, the proven therapeutic and cost effectiveness of psychopharmacology (critics may say of it what they will, but tens of times as many people now have access to at least some form of psychotherapy now than did prior to the “Prozac revolution”) had caused cognitive therapeutic approaches to fall into disrespect in clinical psychiatry and psychology, although these approaches continue to be developed and used in such setting as relationship counseling and corporate teambuilding training.

In 1996, I encountered the use of the term “Neuro-lingusitic hacking” in Neil Stephenson’s now-classic work of fiction, “Snow Crash”. This was a completely different use of the term, referring to the computer-assisted accessing of deep language processing structure in the human brain. I can do no justice to the novel’s ideas in this short post, and encourage readers unfamiliar with the novel to read the above wikipedia link, and better still, read it.

Due to the popularity of Stephenson and “Snow Crash”, I suspect that more people now think of NLP in the fictional sense used there than in its historic sense. Despite its fictional nature, the NLP of “Snow Crash” appears to me to better scientifically grounded than the non-fictional one.