Science Forums

Smoking

Will

Which of these is worse for your health?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which of these is worse for your health?

• Cigarettes
    • Cigars
    • Pipes

Youth drinking may hasten heart trouble

For young people, drinking even a small amount of alcohol could increase the chances of developing heart disease, according to one of the largest studies to look at alcohol's effects before middle age.

The finding contrasts with the widely held view that drinking in moderation - around two drinks per day for men and one for women - can help protect against heart disease.

Researchers are confident that this holds true for people who are over about 55 and at risk of heart disease. But they are unclear whether the health benefits of alcohol begin to accrue early in life - or exactly what alcohol is doing in the body to produce its beneficial effects.

Using data from an ongoing study on heart disease, epidemiologist Mark Pletcher at the University of California, San Francisco, and his team probed the hearts of more than 3,000 people aged 33-45 years using a CAT scanner.

They searched for one of the earliest signs of heart disease - a hardening of the arteries that supply oxygen to the heart itself. They then matched this up with information collected between 1985 and 2001 on how much each person drank

Young at heart

The finding implies that drinking alcohol early in life does not rack up gradual benefits that will protect drinkers later on. "It suggests there is little to be gained at a young age," says Kenneth Mukamal, who studies alcohol and health at Harvard Medical School in Boston.

Instead, it backs the idea that a slug of liquor protects against heart disease in older people in a different way: by having almost immediate effects. It may, for example, cut the risk of a blood clot forming and choking off an artery.

The new study also confirms experts' view that binge drinking, defined as more than five drinks at one time, is harmful. Indeed, the researchers found it difficult to tell whether younger people who drank more were harming their arteries because of the total quantity they drank or because they tended to drink in binges

Public-health experts already believe that young drinkers gain little by drinking at a young age. Any positive effects on the heart are thought to be outweighed by the increased risk of cancer

SOURCE: BBC HEALTH

Genes link to alcohol consumption

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4355981.stm

Im 20 years old and I just dont see the point in alcohol or Smoking tbh.. I have fun without it !

I have never got drunk and im 20 years old .. Ive never smoked once in my life either! :)

Researchers are confident that this holds true for people who are over about 55 and at risk of heart disease. But they are unclear whether the health benefits of alcohol begin to accrue early in life - or exactly what alcohol is doing in the body to produce its beneficial effects.... his team probed the hearts of more than 3,000 people aged 33-45 years....THey searched for one of the earliest signs of heart disease - a hardening of the arteries that supply oxygen to the heart itself....The finding implies that drinking alcohol early in life does not rack up gradual benefits that will protect drinkers later on. "It suggests there is little to be gained at a young age,"
This is a very general retrospective study. It looks like the text you quoted is from a popular press review of the source study, and is filtered to the point of being nearly meaningless. Alcohol had been shown to reduce the incidence of symptomatic coronary artery disease. OF COURSE it does not have much affect on folks that RARELY get coronary artery disease.
Im 20 years old and I just dont see the point in alcohol or Smoking tbh.. I have fun without it ![
I am glad to hear it. When you reach the age of 50, if your calculated LDL cholesterol is high (or whatever flag they monitor then) and you are still a non-drinker, you might then be suggested to take a lipid lowering agent. If the extant technology for CAD prevention is different then (likely) they will suggest something else. To my knowledge, NO ONE has ever suggested that the beneficial effets of alcohol are BETTER than the benefical effects of statin medications (for example). The science suggests that if one drinks (and has accepted the risks associated with drinking) then the patient has also acquired some preventative beneficial effects.

This study as described has almost no applicable conslusions.

Don't drink, don't smoke, what do ya do?

I do a lot of things...

I go to college, I meet up with friends a lot, I do karate, go to the gym, do a lot of paintballing and other sports, Loads of reading/learning, online gaming, Guitarist in a rock band, I like to travel a lot when I can and do tons of other things!

I just like to stay healthy.

Dont smoke

Dont drink

Dont take any drugs

Try to have a somewhat Calorie restricted diet

eat about 5-10 different fruits n veggies a day ( depends how hungry I am )

get my vitamins and my OMEGA 3 fish oil

Drink around 3-5 cups of GREEN TEA a day

DO a lot of training to keep fit

I consider myself quite healthy really... No need to abuse my body :)

I have no idea why one needs to drink and smoke to have fun ?

haha

Im just really interested in the idea of Life extension :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4260191.stm

Cuba claims 'world's oldest' man

"The Cuban says he was born in Haiti in the 19th century. He says his long life is down to no cigars or alcohol - but good food and a fair share of women. "

LOL

Im just really interested in the idea of Life extension :)

you know what's funny, is this topic fascinates me. yeah, i'd love to live as long as i can. but i can't stay sober too long. well i can, it's just i'd rather not. a head change every now and then definitely puts things into perspective for me. plus i looooove having an excuse in the morning when someone asks me why i did something. :)

p.s. i believe a woman just died, or is still living to be past 100, and she smokes cigarettes every single day. quite a strange anomoly.

i'm not saying smoking cigarettes are good...at all. i don't smoke them, infact i wish nobody did. not that it bothers me or anything.

blah blah just being clear.

Yeah, but its pretty obvious that that is extremely rare case. Just look at the statistics of how many smokers die of lung cancer or heart disease compared to non-smokers.

Im glad smoking is getting banned in public places over here!

What right has anyone got to damage other peoples health by smoking around them? Its not the non smokers that should find another place to go, its the smokers that should..

Also it annoys me when I see people smoking right infront of their kids :)

TeleMad:

I do a lot of things...

Hah! I knew you were too young to get the reference :-)

It's from an 80's song called "Goody Two Shoes" by Adam Ant. People used to sing it to me because I didn't drink or smoke.

whoa182:

Dont smoke

Dont drink

Dont take any drugs

Try to have a somewhat Calorie restricted diet

eat about 5-10 different fruits n veggies a day ( depends how hungry I am )

get my vitamins and my OMEGA 3 fish oil

Drink around 3-5 cups of GREEN TEA a day

DO a lot of training to keep fit

Well, for me, 3 out of 8 ain't bad!

Wait until you get into your mid 40's and see if you still can keep to a calorie-restricted diet and still do a lot of training. Ah, to be 20 again!

Wait until you get into your mid 40's and see if you still can keep to a calorie-restricted diet and still do a lot of training. Ah, to be 20 again!
I think I am in TM's camp. I have a particular fondness for high fat food. My diet is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, but that is only because I like salmon, and I live in the Northwest (where I am pretty sure it is illegal to dislike salmon).

Although unlike TM, I would never choose to be 20 again. That decade was far too painful.

Hah! I knew you were too young to get the reference :-)

It's from an 80's song called "Goody Two Shoes" by Adam Ant. People used to sing it to me because I didn't drink or smoke.

Well, for me, 3 out of 8 ain't bad!

Well Hopefuly in 20 + years time we will have advanced In Bitoechnology and Nanotechnology quite a lot to keep me healthy for quite some time...

I mean I am only 20 years old and by the time I reach my 50's... You never know what could happen, But its almost certain that Stem cell therapy genetic engineering and other rejouvenating therapies will be around - and advanced nanotech :)

We have significantly more powerful tools than we had for almost all of the 20th century... and its only gonna get better

We have significantly more powerful tools than we had for almost all of the 20th century... and its only gonna get better
Yes, but keep in mind that if you live longer, you have to save more for retirement. I am considering targeting my expiration somewhere near about 70. I don't want to outlive my savings. Who would buy the high fat food?