Science Forums

Moved from "Over Balanced Wheel - Perpetual Motion"

SIE, it is of course possible that everyone other than you is wrong.

However, the experimental evidence seems to support the majority's position here.

To strengthen your position, you could show the design, or do an inexpensive lab experiment to show your ideas are correct and the general physical properties as we currently understand them are wrong.

You HAVE been asked to share your design, so even if you can't build it, perhaps sharing it would allow a more informed critique?

CraigD

Nice try sir ----- but your calculations have a flaw in them. You see, MY design does NOT, in

any way, 'allow' for this device of mine to 'pendulate'.

In fact, (once moving,) my set-up remains exactly the same ----- even after 1 millionth (or more), of

a degree ----- forever! Don't believe me? You'll have to ----- once I figure out how to 'post' my design

on this forum! Any ideas?

Sir Isaac Einstein

You must post your images online somewhere first. There are several free services for this such as Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Then, use the link they supply you in a post here.

For example:

http://mediafire.com/my_image.jpg

Would be posted as

This will display your image(s) in the post. If you have trouble, send me a private message.

I skimmed through this thread and may have missed a link to the first thing that came up when I Googled "overbalanced wheel."

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/overbal.htm

And then there's this.

Ben Thomas building a copy of "Techstuff's" gravity wheel

And also this.

Perpetual Motion

So is the idea that of a flywheel on some kind of gravity-based steroids? Because if that's what it is, I tried that a dozen times when I was 10 years old and fascinated with the single cylinder engine an old sawmill used. It occurred to me after a few attempts that the designers of the engine probably wouldn't have put the cylinder on if the flywheel had been enough by itself. So I attached my flywheel to a crude electric motor I had made and still have, and a homemade generator, which never generated much energy. When that stopped being fun, I went back to finding new ways to kill grasshoppers and baby birds. Weights combined with hay derricks often seemed to do the trick. Feed grinders and corn shellers were good too. But nothing beat a rubber band and a firecracker.

I have since made my peace with nature, and have allowed that trying to design a perpetual motion machine probably isn't any more natural than blowing up baby birds by sticking firecrackers down their throats.

--lemit

p.s. Sincere apologies to all animal lovers.

I recall seeing an early design on the cover of a manuscript by Stevin. Several hundred years old, circa 1585. Since then lots of people have made drawings of these devices and guess what, none of them work. After all of this time you'd think people would finally understand that these devices do not work and the hundreds of years of history that have evaluated why the devices do not work.

Dear steriologist,

Just because everyone before me whoever designed a perpetual

motion machine were wrong, does NOT make MY design wrong!

I'm affraid you're tarring everybody with the same brush. Wait until I make my designs

'public', and THEN make up your mind. After all, it's best to read the book, and NOT its

cover!

I am, right now, in the process of making my design public, so you won't have long to

wait.

You're probably a nice guy ----- good luck pal!

Sir Isaac Einstein

Just because everyone before me whoever designed a perpetual

motion machine were wrong, does NOT make MY design wrong!

Why do you say other people were wrong when they tried this?

And I didn't say your design was wrong. I stated that there are over 400 years of trying this and no one has gotten it to work. These very smart people learned why their designs did not work and why in general this can't be done.

You're probably well intentioned, but do not understand the issues at hand.

steriologist,

I did NOT say other peoples designs were wrong ----- YOU did!

All I did, was to follow your suggestion.

As far as you saying my design is not wrong ----- how on Earth would YOU know.,you've

never even seen it?

Do yourself a favour pal, wait untill my design is available to all, before you come to any

conclusions!

Sir Isaac Einstein

Sir Isaac,

If your design works, you should patent it. You don't need to give us the whole design, or even tell us exactly what you did that was right. If you could tell us how the other people erred, we could get together--we're not as dumb as we seem--and work out our own understanding of the solution you would by then have already patented. Would that be all right?

If not, I'll probably join jab2 and leave the disputation to the rest of you..

--lemit

perpetual motion machine is an oxymoron. period. end of story. case closed. 'nough said. fini.

this thread is fodder for the Silly Claims forum. get it there now & stop pretending that there is even a femto-erg of scientific merit here. good grief people. :) enough molly-coddling already. :hihi:

I did NOT say other peoples designs were wrong ----- YOU did!

All I did, was to follow your suggestion.

As far as you saying my design is not wrong ----- how on Earth would YOU know.,you've

never even seen it?

Do yourself a favour pal, wait untill my design is available to all, before you come to any

conclusions!

Whatever your design is, it isn't a perpetual motion machine. This is not a matter of right or wrong design. Rather it is a matter of the machine fulfilling the claim. There is a wealth of information from over 400 years of study that says your claim cannot be fulfilled.

I agree with turtle. Off to the silly claims forum.

perpetual motion machine is an oxymoron. period. end of story. case closed. 'nough said. fini.

True that. But ...

this thread is fodder for the Silly Claims forum. get it there now & stop pretending that there is even a femto-erg of scientific merit here. good grief people. :) enough molly-coddling already. :)

Molly-coddling (an archaic figure of speech meaning roughly “encouraging in a motherly way”) isn’t always inappropriate. Hypography’s next-to-most recent banner billed it as “science for everyone”, an objective we still strive toward, and that “everyone” includes, if I’m not far off in my guess, people like Sir Isaac Einstein, who I’m guessing from his posting style and unfamiliarity with internet use, falls in the 10-14 year-old age range. Personally, I think it’s abnormal for someone not to have fervently believed they could build a conservation-of-energy-violating machine by that age, just as it’s a sign of failed education and/or mental illness for someone much older than that to continue to believe so.

I think most of our members – legendary turtles included - intuitively agree with me on this. As evidence, I contend that were SIE perceived to be an adult, his reputation bar would have been blasted into the deep red days ago. We’re all, if not quite coddling him, at least humoring him.

The venerable subject of perpetual motion machines is a recurring dilemma for forums like hypography, as it’s boring to the point of aggravation to serious science and technology enthusiasts and professionals, yet an important rite-of-passage for thoughtful youths. With that in mind, I’ll shunt the clearly not engineering-and-applied-science-forum-worthy “I’ve designed a real perpetual motion machine! Just wait ‘til I can figure out how to post the design!” subthread into the silly claims forum. When we’ve some actual design diagram to discuss – as we have successfully and productively in past threads – we can shunt them back into the engineering forum.

... once I figure out how to 'post' my design

on this forum! Any ideas?

You must post your images online somewhere first. There are several free services for this such as Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

If you find freeztar’s suggestions too difficult, SIE, an easier (or at least quicker) way to post small images is to click the “Manage Attachments” button that appears under the “Reply to Thread” box you get when you click the “Post Reply” or any of the “Quote” buttons on this page. Stay away from the “Post Quick Reply” box and button, as it doesn’t give you all the features needed to upload images.

This’ll give you one or more thumbnails like the ones at the bottom of this post (which intentionally have nothing to do with perpetual motion machines), which readers can click to expand into full-size, downloadable images. And, as freeztar said, if you have trouble using this or any other feature at hypography, just let one of us moderators or admins know. :)

post-1625-128210107306_thumb.jpg

post-1625-12821010731_thumb.jpg

Moderation note: this post and replies to it were moved to the engineering and applied science forum thread 21152, because with the addition of actual sketches of the described machine, it’s now possible to discuss them in a manner consistent with the standards of the engineering and applied science forum.

Here are the designs that Sir Isaac Einstein wanted to post.

AN OVERBALANCING WHEEL USING SLEWING-RINGS.txt

post-2526-128210107323_thumb.jpg

post-2526-128210107326_thumb.jpg