Science Forums

Motorcyclists Thread

alexander

Not to mention a two stroke can deliver much more power per CC than a four stroke, pretty close to a 2X difference. Adding water cooling allowed the bikes to generate extreme amounts of torque at low RPMs and still rev to outrageous highs. I know there are other schools of thought but to me there is nothing like the sound of a multi cylinder two stroke coming up on the "pipe" as it screams down the race track (or under me when I am riding it!). The GL 750 was supposed to be a street legal version of the TZ 700 (and later 750cc) road racer. The motorcycle proved to be almost unmanageable it was so powerful, often spinning the real wheel through out much of the race. The earlier TZ 350 road racer was quite capable of out performing the 750cc four strokes of the time. Kenny Roberts made the TZ 350 famous by winning against the 750cc bikes. When he was given the TZ 750 it was so fast he would ride wheelies and wave to the crowd when he went by the grandstands often lapping the field several times in a race.

DD, my first road bike was an RD 350 too! I loved it like air! I loved to go out and wake up all the bumble bees in it! Did you ever see this bike?

A guy took two RD 350LC engines and welded them together and over bored the cylinders a few mm and got a 736cc monster! Put the engines back in the RD 350LC frame and Can you say

RD 750LC?

Gives me an erection just thinking about it!

My GT380 was a three cylinder two stroke Suzuki.....sadly it had a really bizare setup which used a plastic gear to turn the points shaft which upon breaking (for you younger fellows this was before the days of simply trackin parts down on the net) left me unable to resurrect it.....couldn't find one anywhere....shame really...think three 125 DB engines strapped together....the spread looked to be 60 Deg. meaning when 1st piston was at TDC the second was 60Deg. behind and the third was at BDC....it was such a smoooooooth engine.....coulda been quite the tire shredder:daydreaming:

I faced off a couple GT380's at the drag strip several times, I took them pretty easy with my RD but the 380 was a little on the heavy side for some reason. I always figured a little engine work would might make them scream. I did like the 750 water Buffalo's. They were heavy but the engine was great. The first models had shoe brakes and weren't quite as nice as the later models. the Kawasaki two stroke triples were fast but not as reliable, the center air cooled cylinder tended to seize up and the long crank broke easily but the 750 was a beast at the drag strip. The things used gas faster than a V-8 4X4!

Ya Zooks tend to be always on the heavy side it's still a complaint with regard to their sport bikes...course Yami's made a couple porkers to my recollection....but Suzuki is really notorious for heavy rides...as far as Kawi's are concerned all are garbage...built for lots of power but zero reliability....even the engines they built for John Deere's middle weight tractor lineup and utility vehicles are pure garbage a far cry from the reliability expected from machines costing upwards of $10,000 .

On yeah, Yamaha has it's share of porkers, I agree about Kawasaki's. The Suzuki Wankel motorcycle was a great answer that had no question. Yamaha had a Wankel too but like the GL750 they didn't manufacture it. If I could get hold of the bastard in the Yamaha corporation who was responsible for that I'd stomp a mud-hole in his *** (be easy since he'd have to be old now:hihi:) Honda has some nice bikes but they couldn't seem to get the V4 idea right. The flat 4 and 6 are nice engines but the bikes are just two wheeled cars. Yamaha had a few bikes that were simply as good at they could get with out a major redesign. the XS1100, the venture royale, the V-max, all th V-4s are works of art IMHO. The XS750 and 850 are pigs and should be avoided as was the 750 twin. the 650 is a great bike and all the RD's are wonderful too.