Science Forums

Motorcyclists Thread

alexander

Groups are gone for a bit, until hopefully someone fixes the interface and makes groups usable again :( for the mean while we will have to confine ourselves into a thread or two ;)

I know there are a few people here who ride, i mean other then my imaginary friends :juggle: and we did have questions and discussions going on every now and again about bikes. I know some people are into customs, some are into good old stuff, and some into modern bikes, so let's continue, our miniclub in a thread, which may eventually turn into a series of threads :)

I recently found my camcorder, with some footage on it from some riding sessions, so i put together a quick vid yesterday, threw it on youtube, to share with some of my friends, and i figured it's a good enough note to bring this discussion back on :)

hope you enjoy :)

YouTube - Streetbike Freestyle Practice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1accyfH-4k

buuuuuuuuuhhhhp!:confused:

:friday:LTNC!

Most excellent....I'm off to pickle me liver...so'z I can feel me best fer me roadtrip tmro....nuthin like a hangover to bring out the best in the rumble of a V-twin belchin fumes through open pipes for hours on end:headache:

:naughty:YouTube - '04 Suzuki Volusia - DeBaffled/De-Mickeyed Exhaust (after) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUfHC8o53go&feature=related

ONE OF THESE DAYS* I'm gonna shove the rep system up somebodies furkin ***!!!

Nifty vid Mr. A I'd so rep ya but as usual the furkin rep thingy sux me balls an won't let me:(

*YouTube - Pink Floyd - One Of These Days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTrNQCYh70Y&feature=PlayList&p=11B1F47E7F383C64&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

....I'm off to pickle me liver...

Oh it seems you already *have* dear! :naughty:

Stop while you're ahead!

Here is a story about a sinner, he used to be a winner who enjoyed a life of prominence and position, but the pressures at the office and his socialite engagements, and his selfish wife's fanatical ambition, :confused:

Buffy

Is that you Alex?

That would be yours truly, yep...

So, anyone here watching Sons of Anarchy?

I saw the trailer and couldn't stop laughing... Could those guys at least do some research about biker gangs or something, i mean "Sons of Anarcy" are riding bone stock Harley Dynas, even entry level Hells Angels guys roll on more modified and bikes then these jokers...

Sons of Anarchy - ride mostly bone stock Dynas, even if they claim that they are "modified"

Hells Angels - entry level people run Fat Boys, usually with cut down shields, pipes, bags, custom leather and paint, higher up people mostly run choppers, full customs, Soft Tails and Ultra Classics (this is from what i've seen around the east coast)

Is that you Alex?
That would be yours truly, yep...

Alex, as one who has recently purchased a motorcycle, and as one who is trying very hard to learn how to ride it safely, I can only genuflect in your direction and regard you as something of a motorcycle god. WOW! I am by no means in your class of biking skills. I’m still trying to make a smooth, tight turn without falling off my bike. It would have been very helpful to me if I had had some motorcycling experience before I climbed aboard my 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. So, I am duly humbled by your video.

as one who has recently purchased a motorcycle, and as one who is trying very hard to learn how to ride it safely

I'd highly recomend seeking out a program like this-> Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program

You'll learn alot...you get to dump their bikes (lil 250's and 125's) instead of yours while learnin how to ride..I've been ridin for more than 2 decades and I even took away a good deal from the course....I don't know how they handle it where you're at but here in Pa. the purchase of your class M learners permit ($10 here) pays for the course...Upon completion (passing) got a 15% reduction in my insurance premiums as well

if you passed your road test with them you and are blessed with common sense I fail to see where you are having trouble. I've lost count of how many times what I learned (vs. old bad habits from years of moto riding) has saved my bacon. If I can get in I hope to take the PAMSP advanced course next season....which if you're really feelin that ill equipped to ride I highly recomend.

It never ceases to amaze me how many semi-pro moto-X riders and stunter types like Alex attend the courses here.

Ok, i should set it clear, i am only an intermediate rider with a long road to being even close to gods, i know a few gods, stuff they do on bikes......

DD, i can see where moto-X riders would want to take that course, dirt riding is completely different from street, the techniques are different, the feel is different, the braking is different, the turning is different. For example while riding dirt, to take the fastest corner, you would stay on the outside of the bend while braking (with the rear brake mostly) late into the corner, compressing the suspencion, click down, rev the bike to the moon, and at the moment when the front tire is just leading out of the corner, you would slip to drop the clutch to (while your suspension is still compressed, and you have the most traction) accelecate out of the corner as fast as you can. On a 4 stroke bike, on the street, if you decide to do that, you are dead, i know a lot of dirt guys who have gone through retraining.

The differece is that i ride on pavement, i know how it feels, i know how my bike feels, i know exactly how much brake it takes to get the rear tire to almost start coming off the tarp, and exactly how much it takes to lock up the rear brake. I know how my bike feels sliding it sideways with the rear brake either locking the rear tire or slightly spinning it to "drift" per say and i know how to use it to turn the bike at that moment. I am in no way a racer, but i do take my bike to some of it's limits, cornering hard, and i'm not afraid to lean that thing to the edge of that rear tire. All that helps a lot on the street (though admittingly i really only ride street when i'm driving to the spot where i want to stunt, but occasionally i'll go and ride for pleasure, to enjoy a nice day, or just to get away from everything for a bit).

I do admit tho that every now and again excitement or boredom on the street drives me to doing things, shorter stoppies, some wheelies, sometimes taking my hands off the handlebars and locking up the rear tire coming up to a stop sign (usually though for spectators, and even at that, pretty rarely), driving on the side walk (working on upgrading that to wheeling), bunny hopping a smooth curb, riding down some stairs, occasionally drifting on the front lawn of some corporate building, jumping off the side of loading docks, and only very, very rarely hopping off a raised parking lot, over the side walk, onto the street (done that only twice)....

I saw the trailer and couldn't stop laughing... Could those guys at least do some research about biker gangs or something, i mean "Sons of Anarcy" are riding bone stock Harley Dynas, even entry level Hells Angels guys roll on more modified and bikes then these jokers...

You're *such* a nerd alex! :phones:

It's a *teevee* show, and it's a shoestring cable (FX) production budget...

Apparently real bikers love it just as much as the NJ Mafia loved the Sorpranos, *in spite* of its "inaccuracies"....

No. Sorry, but your old lady would turn us both into chum, :rolleyes:

Buffy