Science Forums

How did you get here?

Dark Mind

Almost got kicked out the first week by Tormod, but he's since come to love me! :) The rest is history...

Indeed. Without Irish I think Hypography would be pretty much dead and buried now...at least I was getting fed up with it last spring but then you came along... :friday:

Indeed. Without Irish I think Hypography would be pretty much dead and buried now...at least I was getting fed up with it last spring but then you came along... :)

Here I come to save the day...

You're so funny, T. Dead and buried- yeah right! This site is such an awesome compilation of personalities, it doesn't depend on any one person to keep it afloat - EXCEPT YOU!!

But it is nice to be appreciated. :friday:

I found Hypograph while searching for a Mt. St. Helens live cam. I recognized some names from another forum I belong to so, seeing this one is another top quality forum, I decided to join. After checking the live cam I'll familiarize myself with the rest of the forum (this is going to be FUN). :friday:

i was preparing a lecture on large extra dimensions, and tried to find some nice quotes on extra dimensions from the web (i was looking for things like: 'i think the 5th dimension is like the consciousness of an alien, that we experience as god'.. )

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

Simply I always trace from Google anything my favourite interests about UNIVERSE, LIFE AND HUMAN NATURE. Time-matrices in years like this :

10,000 :xx: >>>>>>>>> 13,700,000,000>>>>>>>>> 4,500,000,000

4,500,000,000>>>>>>>>>> 10,000 :xx: >>>>>>>>>13,700,000,000

13,700,000,000>>>>>>>>> 4,500,000,000>>>>>>>>>>10,000 :)

Why we're 'just conscious' 10,000 yrs ? What's for ?

Since I have the wacko story, I should post it here for posterity....

I was running performance tests on one of the many database servers at the web hosting company my company uses, trying to find out why our application was running so slow on two out of nearly 100 sites we have set up there. My perf tool basically told me the name of the databases on the server, and showed in a monitor how often they were getting hit at a standard sampling rate. I found several candidate databases that seemed to be really pounding the servers I was having problems on. On the first server, it was clearly a site called "tampacampushookup.com" a hilarious site that makes it clear that if you want to go to a school with lots of "action" (and probably visits from the "Girls Gone Wild" crew), you should go to U Florida, Tampa... Its a hoot: look it up.

On the other server there were a bunch of candidates. A car parts site, big local real estate site, and then there was this one that seemed to be pretty active with a very strange name: "hypography". Well, my methodology was to see if these sites had "bad" queries that were sucking CPU by simply pounding on their db-driven data pages. This of course meant that I actually had to spend time looking at the contents...this Hypography one was, um...different. As you all have probably been able to tell, I've got an interest in the same stuff you all are interested in, so I stuck around...

Thanks Tormod, Irish, and the rest of the team (especially Yvonne as I've posted elsewhere) its a lot of fun here!

Cheers,

Buffy

Well, my methodology was to see if these sites had "bad" queries that were sucking CPU by simply pounding on their db-driven data pages. This of course meant that I actually had to spend time looking at the contents...this Hypography one was, um...different. As you all have probably been able to tell, I've got an interest in the same stuff you all are interested in, so I stuck around...

Thanks Tormod, Irish, and the rest of the team (especially Yvonne as I've posted elsewhere) its a lot of fun here!

Great story! And FYI we are no longer on the web host in question. So if all the bad queries are suddenly gone you know who the culprit was... :)