Science Forums

Lost i time

WaTz

Hi i am only in grade 10 but i was reading the topic abt the speed of time and instant travel. Just say that i was traveling at the speed of time due to the time dilation factor traviling would be instant. A quote from a previous topic

"let's say if we are actually travelling at the speed of light exactly. Basically that would mean the Time dilation factor is 1/0; dividing one by zero gives infinity doesn't it?"

"At 100% of the speed of light ©, gamma is infinite (0). Therefore, running the same mathematical equation, if the distance between two points in space is 100 light years for an object at rest, then for an object traveling at 100% of the speed of light, the distance between those same two points in space is zero (100/0)."

<---- these are all quotes from a previous topic.

Im not quite sure how to say this but if i was travling at the speed of light how would i stop if there is no time within it. Would i be lost in time??? would i be sitting in this spaceship at the speed of light not feeling the effects of time? I wouldnt be able to stop traveling. I was reading alot abt this. If there is no time there is no space so would i be able to move or do anything since there is no time within the ship?

Hi WaTz, and welcome to our forums!

I'm sure this is not the answer you want, but according to standard theory massive objects cannot move at the speed of light in a vacuum. Therefore the question of time dilation at the speed of light in a vacuum does not have an answer, because current physics don't allow it.

You can read more about that here. (The front page of the same site is here). It is not a new article but the text is still quite good.

All the best,

Tormod