Science Forums

Science fiction book or books you would most like to see made into a movie!

Moontanman

Lots of us read science fiction, lots of us watch movies made from books we have read. Many of the films should have been left unmade or at least done better. How about books that have been over looked? Here is my fave five of books that should be made into movies. Feel free to add your own......

#1 Hiero’s Journey and The Unforsaken Hiero by Sterling E. Lanier

#2 Titan, Wizard, and Demon by John Varley

#3 The Domination, and or Drakon by S.M. Stirling

#4 The Integral Trees and or one of the sequels by Larry Niven

#5 Stranger in a Strange land by Robert Heinlein

One – or all – of the Heinlein juveniles.

If I could pick one RAH juvie story to be a movie, it would be Tunnel in the Sky, with about half the viewing time dedicated to a much expanded last chapter, inventing scenes to flesh out the feel of it, which is, IMHO, one of the most profound audience empathy pieces in literature.

My favourite in that category would be Red Planet. The revolutionary in me likes the thought of greedy corporate bureaucrats getting their comeuppance. On the other hand, the lecherous side of my nature would really like Podkayne to come to life :)

For a novel that speaks to the Now, it has to be David Brin's Earth. Though I'm not sure how you'd compress it down to movie size.