Science Forums

New Movie About Fringe Theories

gprprod

Greetings Hypography Members,

I'm a NYC based filmmaker currently producing a feature length documentary, Faces In The Rocks, "a filmmaker's journey through his visionary grandfather's theory of a 35 million year old civilization of advanced reptilians. Keeping his promise to share his grandfather's story, filmmaker Randy M. Salo sets out to understand his grandfather's complex theories and is propelled down a road of ancient civilizations, the paranormal, alternate dimensions and the notion of pseudoscience. As these seemingly unrelated ideas begin to converge in similarity, he must begin to question the nature of reality, his grandfathers convictions and the scientific community that disregards them." http://http://www.youtube.com/facesintherocks#play/uploads/0/WNBXjL9kmCE

In order to adequately explore the many themes of this film, we have been interviewing scholars on both sides of the spectrum concerning fringe theories. The film's intent is not to prove any one theory, but rather to open a discussion about alternative theories and their relevance(or danger) to our lives.

I intend to create posts on the topics presented in the film and would like to hear the thoughts of the members of this forum.

Please feel free to view the following websites connected to the film:

Youtube:

YouTube - FacesInTheRocks's Channel

Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FACES-IN-THE-ROCKS-A-DOCUMENTARY/47028272801

Thanks and I look forward to your comments!

Oooo, you got my attention, nothing is more fun than pseudoscience. i can't watch the clips due to slow connection speeds. I have never heard of such alternate theories. what advanced reptiles existed 35 million years ago? I've read ideas of the dinosaurs showing signs of advancement but they were 40 million years dead by 35 million years ago.

AI've studied pseudoscience close to 20 years. I'd like to know which aspects of it you're working on, which theories. What sources are you using? There's a lot of material out there. I hope you're digging into some of the theories instead of just touching the surface "like a saucer would if you skipped it across the water."

And I hope you know why I used that quote.

--lemit

I have a theory that if you can align three strategies on immortality and progress them simultaneously the subconciousness resolves for itself that it is an absolutely completely self positive organism and it gains extra strength to commit to the expression of "shy" talents because theres no fear in being killed for playing the violin badly.

Thank you for your initial replies.

I should first respond with a little description of who Jim Green is. Jim was born on a chicken farm in Gettysburg, PA in 1921. He was a bright kid and loved the sciences. After serving in the U.S. Marines during WWII, he studied agronomy at Penn State. He eventually took his family to South Carolina, where he studied Geology(part time) at USC and worked for the State Geologist and simultaneously in the Serology lab. While there, he scored in the top 2 percentile in the nation on the Princeton 2-day exam, he was the head of the first minerals industry labratory in South Carolina under the State Geologist, he cofounded and became a life member of the Archeological Society of South Carolina, and after developing a method of understanding the silicification processes in South Carolina's Eocene layer was offered acceptance to the PhD. program at USC's school of Geology, before he completed a graduate.(ultimately he had to drop out in order to raise his five children). He dabbled in many of the sciences including Archeology, Physics & Mathmatics, and Geology making him an amateur of many but not a respected expert at one.

We've created a video which explains one aspect of Jim's Green's theories, particularly the silicification of organic material at the end of the Eocene epoch in central South Carolina. His interpretation of these findings is where he was met with raised eyebrows, though. He believes that they are physical evidence of a 35 million year old reptilian civilization snuffed into extinction by a cataclysmic event, the same which marks the Eocene/Oligocene boundary.

But the theory doesn't stop there. There is a paranormal aspect to his work as featured in the trailer for the movie. While working in Serology, he was heavily involved with studying the scalar field, or fifth dimension. He has filing cabinets full of guess work relating to the existence of a dimension where entities could exist. He believes that many of his notions were 'injected' into him from this realm and that they weren't his own. In the late 70's he developed a technique of pouring organic material(mycolean particles(SP?)) onto a tile whenever he received a 'transmission'. After some time the image he saw appeared on the tile.

As filmming commenced we quickly discovered that many scholars see his work as a pseudoscience, which seems to be a word which describes all manners of the unknown, from Atlantis to UFO's to ESP to the Parnomal. Some scholars believe these notions to be dangerous, or regressive in the sense of science. It seems a sort of battle is going on between science and the mass media concerning what is 'good science' and 'bad science'.

With that said, and due to the incredible intelligence of our subject, we are trying to explore where the science ends and (if so) the pseudoscience begins.

Thank you for taking an interest!

I really liked the teasers and trailers you have done so far, and I am looking forward to a more in depth presentation of the scientific work. You will find a mix here of actual accredited scientists, and scientific minded enthusiasts. When you get the final work posted I think you will find healthy and candid feedback about that which is presented. And as I said, I am looking forward to it.

Bill

I am reposting this reply since the original thread was closed on the 'Introductions' and this is the more appropriate forum.

Thank you for your initial replies.

I should first respond with a little description of who Jim Green is. Jim was born on a chicken farm in Gettysburg, PA in 1921. He was a bright kid and loved the sciences. After serving in the U.S. Marines during WWII, he studied agronomy at Penn State. He eventually took his family to South Carolina, where he studied Geology(part time) at USC and worked for the State Geologist and simultaneously in the Serology lab. While there, he scored in the top 2 percentile in the nation on the Princeton 2-day exam, he was the head of the first minerals industry labratory in South Carolina under the State Geologist, he cofounded and became a life member of the Archeological Society of South Carolina, and after developing a method of understanding the silicification processes in South Carolina's Eocene layer was offered acceptance to the PhD. program at USC's school of Geology, before he completed a graduate.(ultimately he had to drop out in order to raise his five children). He dabbled in many of the sciences including Archeology, Physics & Mathmatics, and Geology making him an amateur of many but not a respected expert at one.

We've created a video which explains one aspect of Jim's Green's theories, particularly the silicification of organic material at the end of the Eocene epoch in central South Carolina. His interpretation of these findings is where he was met with raised eyebrows, though. He believes that they are physical evidence of a 35 million year old reptilian civilization snuffed into extinction by a cataclysmic event, the same which marks the Eocene/Oligocene boundary.

But the theory doesn't stop there. There is a paranormal aspect to his work as featured in the trailer for the movie. While working in Serology, he was heavily involved with studying the scalar field, or fifth dimension. He has filing cabinets full of guess work relating to the existence of a dimension where entities could exist. He believes that many of his notions were 'injected' into him from this realm and that they weren't his own. In the late 70's he developed a technique of pouring organic material(mycolean particles(SP?)) onto a tile whenever he received a 'transmission'. After some time the image he saw appeared on the tile.

As filming commenced we quickly discovered that many scholars see his work as a pseudoscience, which seems to be a word which describes all manners of the unknown, from Atlantis to UFO's to ESP to the Parnomal. Some scholars believe these notions to be dangerous, or regressive in the sense of science. It seems a sort of battle is going on between science and the mass media concerning what is 'good science' and 'bad science'.

With that said, and due to the incredible intelligence of our subject, we are trying to explore where the science ends and (if so) the pseudoscience begins.

Thank you for taking an interest!

I would like to ask if there is any fossil evidence for the advanced reptiles? I am interested in many areas of pseudoscience. I don't believe many of them but I do like to trace down the evidence, who knows maybe someday some of it just might turn out to have some evidence to back it up.

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to post an update on our film, now entitled, The Dragons of Jim Green. The film is nearing completion and we have begun submitting to film festivals expecting a spring 2012 world premiere in the US. Please check out our website for the latest info. Hope to see you at one of the future screenings.

www.dragonsofjimgreen.com

and on facebook:

www.facebook.com/dragonsofjimgreen

Over the last few years, I've posted questions regarding science and other such things on Hypography as I was making a movie about my outsider scientist grandfather and his claims that dinosaurs evolved into an advanced race of sentient beings and destroyed themselves through war and greed...

We are nearly finished with the film, The Dragons of Jim Green, and have begun submitting to film festivals in anticipation for a spring 2012 world premiere in the US. Love to share the website with you so you can stay up to date with our upcoming screenings, as many have shown interest in the past.

This film is really one of a kind as it takes an extremely personal journey into the complicated mind and theories of an aging loved-one. I would invite you all to experience his story and hope to see you at a future screening.

www.dragonsofjimgreen.com

also on facebook:

www.facebook.com/dragonsofjimgreen

Thanks!

Congratulation on the near completion of your film, Gpr!

Does your grandfather claim that advanced dinosaur species was sentient, or was sentient and created artifacts, systematically buried its dead, or otherwise produced archeologically detectable evidence?

If the former, how one can scientifically determine that an extinct species was sentient, absent such detectable evidence?

Intelligent dinosaurs are part of a moderately rich fictional tradition, spanning such works as visual artist James Gurney’s fanciful juvenile fare Dinotopia, Harry Harrison’s surprisingly hard science fictional West of Eden to Sheri Tepper’s social insightful Gibbon’s Decline and Fall. I’m curious, Gpr, if you’re aware of this genre, and included it in your film?

• 1 month later...

Congratulation on the near completion of your film, Gpr!

Does your grandfather claim that advanced dinosaur species was sentient, or was sentient and created artifacts, systematically buried its dead, or otherwise produced archeologically detectable evidence?

If the former, how one can scientifically determine that an extinct species was sentient, absent such detectable evidence?

Intelligent dinosaurs are part of a moderately rich fictional tradition, spanning such works as visual artist James Gurney’s fanciful juvenile fare Dinotopia, Harry Harrison’s surprisingly hard science fictional West of Eden to Sheri Tepper’s social insightful Gibbon’s Decline and Fall. I’m curious, Gpr, if you’re aware of this genre, and included it in your film?

Hi CraigD. I'm really sorry to not reply sooner but i didn't see your post until now...

My granddad claims that the reptilians humanoids were sentient, machine making, space going et al.

He also claims to have evidence for this which is at the center of discussion in our film. We invited former colleagues and peers alike to meet with him, and/or examine his claims and discuss their veracity. We had some wonderful and lively discussion with three Archeologists, a paleontologist, a microbiologist and a geologist. Our discussions went beyond science at times in discussing my granddad's claims.

We also did explore those fictional genres as visual art plays an unexpected role in the film.

I leave the rest a mystery until you can see the film yourself, but know that this is not an ordinary "TV-Style" documentary which is exploring an outsider scientists unbelievable claims. Its very much a human story, viewed through the world of one man, but encompassing our own needs for understanding the past and seeking answers about the universe.

We are planning for a world premiere at a US Film Festival in the spring and then from there we will try to bring it to all those who wish to see it. Once we have details for upcoming screenings i will post them.

Thanks for your interest and questions, and again, I'm sorry it took me so long to see your post!