Science Forums

China Miéville

kaelcarp

I'm wondering if there are any China Miéville fans here. I've read Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council by him, and he's one of my favorite new authors.

All three books would be classified as "weird fiction." That is, they're not quite science fiction, not quite fantasy, and not quite horror, but combine elements of all three. They take place in a sort of alternate world (might be another planet, might just be another reality) called Bas-Lag. They are related stories, but they don't have to be read in any particular order. They probably contain more creativity in one chapter than most authors exhibit in an entire career. Miéville just bursts forth with idea after idea. It can be hard to keep up at times, but it's worth it if you can.

The Scar is my favorite, one of the best books I've ever read, and Perdido is close behind, though it takes a lot longer (200 pages or so) to get to the meat of the story. Iron Council is good, but not quite as good as the other two to me.

Anyone else read his stuff?