1. 1. Do you consider yourself a nerd?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone at work or school calls me a nerd, I object and say "No, I'm a geek".

I picture a nerd as portrayed in the "Revenge of the Nerds" series. A geek, to me, is just someone who is totally enthralled with learning - a "brainiac" so to speak - and so "geek" doesn't carry with it the "nerd" baggage of being weird looking, and/or weak and uncoordinated, and/or a complete social outcast.

Definition of 'nerd' from Wikipedia:

A nerd is a very intelligent but lonely and socially awkward person who is fascinated by knowledge, especially science.

then I can´t be a nerd. I am not intelligent, not lonely, not socially awkward, not fascinated by knowledge, especially science.

I guess I would. If a nerd is a brainy person who feels uncomfortable in many social situations, overfocuses on complex or weird ideas other people don't think about much, is kind of out of shape, and wears glasses, then yes. If it's one of those really annoying Urkel-types, then not at all.

All you people who post on these forums are not nerds. You're intelligent and thoughtful people. Now, amongst us there are definitely a few nerds, but being into science and philosophy is not nerdiness.

I consider nerds to be kids who play computer games online late into the night with their cyber-friends. Nerds are the kids who can't ask girls to dance with them at the prom, or get excited if a girl gives them a hug.

Geeks on the other hand are into stuff like Star Trek and Robotics, etc..

but yeah.. that's just how i see it. B)

depends.. i mean, i consider myself nerdy at times for various reasons, but if its highschool definition of a nerd, then i wouldn't want to be that kid.. the nerds that i've known tend to be extremely immature and when it comes to social situations they tend to make things very uncomfortable for themselves and everyone around them.. at least that's been my experience.

but most people joke when they say nerd, because it's usually to point out that someone has a geeky hobby or something.. but we all do.. so whatever. ;)